PDA

View Full Version : Trailer repairs ..where to do it and how much?

bundopeace
05-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi guys,

I am planning a trip to awoonga in dec and thinking about fixing up my trailer.. at the condition it is at now.. i will be lucky if i can get past noosa.

does anyone know what is the price for replacing the springs, the bolts, the spring hangers, and all the screws and bolts that rust on trailers, and perhaps the axle as well.

How much will all the above cost to be replaced by a trailer repair person?

i dun think i can do it myself cos it is so rusted i cant remove the nuts. probably have to grind all the stuff away and replace the whole thing.

anyway place anyone could recommend that is relatively cheap near the brisbane area?
i wouldnt mind if someone could help me out for a few cartons of beer...;)
Thanks

Nick

Blackened
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
G'day

If you're after a pro job and will come to you, get in touch with grand marlin. That's pete.

Dave

Noelm
05-10-2007, 09:55 AM
a lot depends on the size of the trailer, if it is only a Tinny trailer, then springs and stuff will be quite cheap, try to get good ones (do you have a spring works near you) avoid all the "chain store" springs, they are like licorice, soft as all hell, and most old rusty bolts will just break off when you try to undo them, so a lot of grinding is not needed, but it is a dirty but easy job.

bundopeace
05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
it is for a 4.2m tinny. how much would the parts roughly cost? how abt workmanship?

Noelm
05-10-2007, 10:19 AM
hhmm in the "about" costs because you will need to look around a bit, I saw 5 leaf springs the other day, for (I think) $79 and the axle bolt on kit was only about $15 a side, but sometimes it is easier to just call someone (like grand marlin) and when you get home from work, it is all done, but as mentioned, it is not a really difficult job, but is messy and dirty, another thing I find is that if you do it yourself you tend to be "stingey" and only replace as little as possible whereas if you get a Pro to do it, they replace what SHOULD be replaced so it turns out better in the long run.

finding_time
05-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Nick

PM ausfish member Shano , he does this for a living and is a bloody good tradesman to boot! He'll put you on the right track. the stuff he did for me was very reasonably priced!!;)

ian

bundopeace
05-10-2007, 10:29 AM
thanks there...it is not the axle stub that needs replacing.. i think the long axle needs to be replaced.. but it needs to be assessed..i may get lucky...i am just afraid if i do it myself, i dun have the right tools and cant remove those bolts...

do i need to remove the boat b4 i do the repairs? if i need to, how? i read something abt putting tyres.. i dun have that many tyres.. and i live in a town house... no space.... hahaha...

but i can give it a try if i can leave the boat on...wats grand marlin's number?

Noelm
05-10-2007, 11:55 AM
a 4.2 Tinny will be a breeze to get off the trailer, just make sure the motor is up and no transducers and stuff are in the way, and put it on the grass, your boat gets more of a "hammering" on the water and on the trailer being towed along at 100K than sitting on the lawn! just unhook it from the car, push it back a bit untill it is hanging off the trailer a bit, lift the trailer up (it will be easy now as it will be back heavy) wait untill the boat touches the grass, and pull the trailer out from under it, to get it back on, just do the reverse using the winch to pull it on.

Noelm
05-10-2007, 11:57 AM
OH and the "axle bolt kit" was the U bolts and nuts and the square plate, a new complete axle is also not too dear, but if you feel it is beyond you, just get the boat off and take it to a trailer "man" as mentioned there are a couple of guys here that can help you out.

Blackened
05-10-2007, 05:29 PM
G'day

jump onto the bias or bargain boat bits sites to get an idea of material cost.

Grand Marlins number is 0419 263 264.

As noel suggested, just carefully push the boat off onto the grass, it will be ok.

Dave

bundopeace
05-10-2007, 09:24 PM
thanks .. i will give marlin a ring.. just looked at the trailer... the spring hangers are all rusted.. and seem to be welded to the trailer. cant possibly remove it myself... and even if i did.. i dun know how to weld it back..

perhaps.. marlin can come take a look and tell me wat i could do..
would it be possible if i put up some pics of the springs.. and some one give me advice to removing it and replacing it?