PDA

View Full Version : AFC

barkers creek
05-10-2007, 08:08 AM
gday guys,
i just recent got the new 2007 afc outdoors fishing dvd and couldnt get over how fun it would be to hammering around in those skeeters and travel the coast fishing for pretty much a living and becoming famouse while doing it.

i just wondering if anyone new how u get in one of these team just from genrel info but who wouldnt want to be doin that.how did people like mathew mott and carl jocumsen get in the team im sure they didnt just ring up and ask.

but also on the dvd all u see is the 4 pro teams ,berkly,humingbird,V8x mag, and mercury but yet on the web sight it has ,,,"" great show up for the bream comp today with 21 boats atteding""

im bazzeld
any help well apreiciated...(alot a spelling erros) but i just cant spell

cheers

blue_mako
05-10-2007, 08:28 AM
gday guys,
i just recent got the new 2007 afc outdoors fishing dvd and couldnt get over how fun it would be to hammering around in those skeeters and travel the coast fishing for pretty much a living and becoming famouse while doing it.

i just wondering if anyone new how u get in one of these team just from genrel info but who wouldnt want to be doin that.how did people like mathew mott and carl jocumsen get in the team im sure they didnt just ring up and ask.

but also on the dvd all u see is the 4 pro teams ,berkly,humingbird,V8x mag, and mercury but yet on the web sight it has ,,,"" great show up for the bream comp today with 21 boats atteding""

im bazzeld
any help well apreiciated...(alot a spelling erros) but i just cant spell

cheers
you have to win an abt grand final first hahaha easier said then done.
www.bream.com.au

aussiebasser
05-10-2007, 09:12 AM
AFC (Australian Fishing Championships) is different from ABT Bream, Bass and Barra comps. To qualify for AFC you must win ABT. They're not doing it for a living. I doubt there is anyone in Australia who has won more than they've spent. The AFC tour only runs for about 4 weeks each year. There are only two Skeeters, the others are good boats!

breamnut
05-10-2007, 09:44 AM
AFC (Australian Fishing Championships) is different from ABT Bream, Bass and Barra comps. To qualify for AFC you must win ABT. They're not doing it for a living. I doubt there is anyone in Australia who has won more than they've spent. The AFC tour only runs for about 4 weeks each year. There are only two Skeeters, the others are good boats!
how about dizzy borg all he does is fish abt and afc.
not many people make a living of abt but they will be able to in a few years time.
in 5 short years or so prizes have gone from a quintrex hornets to a $50,000 skeeter! there will be a hell of alot of money in 5-10 years time.

Noelm
05-10-2007, 09:48 AM
i am not too sure about that show, all the "fake" excitement of commentary seems to be just be a bit over the top for me, I guess they are trying to cash in on the American Bass style of thing, where they get all fired up over a crappy little fish that has next to no fighting powers, but I think it just does not work all that well here, but maybe it is just me!

Little grey men
05-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I know what you mean Noelm, I've seen a few of those shows and while they are entertaining , with a big line of powerful boats tearing across a lake while being filmed by a helicopter. I think I'd grab my fishing rod and backpack and just walk the other way for some peace and quiet.

Noelm
05-10-2007, 11:48 AM
yeah, but who knows it might all take off after a while, I just sort of think that the way it is all played up and the host/commentater gets all revved up about almost anything to try to make it exciting seems to leave me cold, not too sure that even the American style of "Bass Boats" will even be a long term hit in Aus, but strange things do happen, and there is a lot of people out there with lots of money to spend on "toys"

polky
05-10-2007, 11:59 AM
choice of fighting bass,bream or fighting a 15kg red on the reef. now don,t get me wrong bad weather up the river chasing bream,grunter or whiting, nice eating fish but good weather give me offshore fishing all the time. We all know the yanks turn everything into a big deal.

Daniel_603
05-10-2007, 04:21 PM
you have to win an abt grand final first hahaha easier said then done.
www.bream.com.au (http://www.bream.com.au)
Darren borg and Scott towner havnt won a Grand Final so hyow did they qualify?

Roo
05-10-2007, 05:52 PM
I thought it was an invitational series. I don't think you need to win an abt Grand final, you might need to qualify for one tho'

aussiebasser
05-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Darren borg and Scott towner havnt won a Grand Final so hyow did they qualify?

I think they accumulated enough points to be Bream angler of the year in ABT. All these questions could be answered properly by Steve Morgan at the QFM web site.

Daniel_603
05-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Iam pretty sure that dizzy borg was NSW angler of the year before he made hes AFC Debut.
Bream Nut iam pretty sure that this years ABT bream final prize is a 450 Hornet Trophy on display at the Gold Coast super series i could be wrong though.
And i think the final four in the final will be fishing out of sponsored Boats on the last day that are also 450 hornets.
Personally i dont think if i owned a Skeeter or stratos i wouldnt want to go back to fishing out of a hornet with a 60hp on the back.

oscar64
05-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey guys

Just the fact that you are talking about AFC means it has done its job. Its brought attention to the tournament scene and who knows maybe even enthused , more than a few , to get into ABT.

PersonallyI like to go fishin with my mates in our baots and share a laugh etc...but each to their own.:D :P ;D
Will be interesting to see what happens in this series. :o

But you are right about the commentary and some of the 'pros' who yell and hoot, and even jump up and down on the boat when they catch one. >:(

For my money Tim and Carl present the best out of all of them and you can see they just love the sprot and thats what its all about.

Just a quick note on Carl. I used to work at a tackle shop on the GC about 5-6 years ago, Carls mum used to bring him down and he used to be in the shop for hours, asking ?, talking about gear and places we fished, she would sit in the car and read her book. Just as she did when she took him fishing. He had gerat manners then and still does! He was then and still is one of the NICEST guys going around in the Australian tackle industry.

If your serious about getting into the AbT or touraments, it may be worth the drive up to the Tackel Shop he works in in Toowoomba- Mullet Gut MArine and just have a chat with him. There are very few like him and Tim around these days.

Just my two bobs worth

Pete;)

TheSaint
05-10-2007, 07:40 PM
If your serious about getting into the AbT or touraments, it may be worth the drive up to the Tackel Shop he works in in Toowoomba- Mullet Gut MArine and just have a chat with him. There are very few like him and Tim around these days.

Pete;)

He doesn't work there anymore.. I think he is farming now..

On the whole AFC thing you need to win or be the runner-up in the ABT grand final which to get to there you need to qualify by coming anywhere from 1st to 5th in ABT event.

All you knockers we don't need your negative spin in this thread!!

As for the boats used in the AFC I've been lucky enough to fish out of these boats as non-boater in the Tweed & Gold Coast ABT rounds & i can tell you it's alot fun doing high speeds to your fishing spots & then fishing from very stable boats..

Plastic_Magic
05-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey Fellas

Was lucky enough to get out for a fish with a guy who owns a skeeter. They are great fun and is a hoot getting around at 60 - 80 mph. I think it was last year when the Barra Grandfinal was held at Lake Awoonga. I can recall the start to the sessions getting redone about 6 times before all the boats were in a line of the start. I like the Series but i also think it is all show for the TV not just for some good fishing times on the water. As with Matthew Mott,Dad and my uncle have done alot of fishing with him and he has worked hard to advance to the level he is at now. He is running Matthew Motts sportfishing Charters around most of Central - Southern Queensland and is doing really well at lake Awoonga as we speak.

Cheers Plastic_Magic

Steve B
06-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey oscar, Carl doesn't work at Mullet gut any more, unfortunatley. I grew up with carl and alot of the bass pro and AFC lads from Toowoomba (ie Jason Erlich, carl Jocumsen, David Green) I also worked with him at mullet gut for several years.

I can tell you you cant just 'walk' into a spot on the AFC series. these guys are invited because they are superior fisherman in their chosen field. Carl fished out of a 3.75m edgetracker in the ABT when he was 16 yrs old and came runner up in two tourmanents. He has dedicated his life to fishing since he could wag school to catch OS cod at cooby dam and Bass at cressbrook. He still fished from a 475 edgetracker which goes to show that its not the boat but th angler that catches fish. Although I have fished out of a Skeeeter and they are awesome and FAST!!.

Noel, Mate you are being a bit narrow minded in you views if you say "crappy little fish with no fighting power". 2+ Kg bass on 4lb line is not an easy task, particularly aroud weed, rocks and structure. Have a genuine go at it, then make comment mate.

I do agree the commentators rev it up some. but that makes good TV. So what. I reckon there is nothing better to see than a solid hit and hookup on film, they have plenty on the AFC DVDS and its enjoyable to watch.

TIMMY 666
06-10-2007, 10:57 PM
The commentator for the AFC makes me want to perforate my eardrums with the nearest sharp object, and the show seems like it's been shipped straight from america, but I still watch it. ;D I kinda wish they'd tone the whole thing down a bit though, a helicopter, high powered skeeters, insane commentators, etc just seems a bit over the top to me. But then again, I still watch it, and enjoy it. ;)

Tim.

Noelm
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
the 'crappy litle fish" thing was about the American Bass, they do not fight at all!, i know an Aussie Bass does fight a bit more.

barkers creek
07-10-2007, 05:52 PM
. Carl fished out of a 3.75m edgetracker in the ABT when he was 16 yrs old and came runner up in two tourmanents. .

thank for the info it would be pretty exciting working with such a personality like carl, just wondering how u do the abt is that just a fill out a form and pay money and ur in with out fail..

cheers

richos
07-10-2007, 06:35 PM
American Bass, they do not fight at all!, i know an Aussie Bass does fight a bit more.
hmm not by much:D

darryl13
07-10-2007, 06:41 PM
if you dont like it dont knock it, i find the whole thing awesome being told to go out and catch fish on a certain day not waiting for the moon, tides, weather just go and catch fish see if most blokes here could do that
i am guessing not

breamnut
07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
i am not too sure about that show, all the "fake" excitement of commentary seems to be just be a bit over the top for me, I guess they are trying to cash in on the American Bass style of thing, where they get all fired up over a crappy little fish that has next to no fighting powers, but I think it just does not work all that well here, but maybe it is just me!
hahahaha not when you use 1-4lb braid and a light leader.
it can be a chalanging fish to catch on lures but can also be pritty aggresive.
a kilo bream can easly pull as hard as a jack around oyster racks.

breamnut
07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
also the bream,bass and barra rounds are great because not everybody can go fishin outside for 15gk snapper and bream and bass are accesable in nearly every river or dam.
if it is so bad why are there so many people doing it? i for 1 have been luckey enough to be in some of these boats and meet and fish with some well known,talented and awsome guys.