PDA

View Full Version : THE TIME IS NOW, or never.

NEWBY
04-10-2007, 09:46 PM
As a keen fisherman and mad boatie, I read many magazines and papers about boats and fishing. Nearly every issue of every magazine is going on and on about the pending bay closures. We copped them in central to northern queensland. (Before my time so I didnt know what it was like before) and from what I am told, nobody really did a damn thing about it and now they voice their opinion. TOO LATE.
Unfortunately we are australian and we are basically lazy. "Someone else will do it" Well like the title says, THE TIME IS NOW OR LOSE IT and if you do not speak up as the MASS then you will have nobody to blame but yourselves. YES it will be your fault cause the guy you thought was going to save your precious bay thought someone else would do it. You know the outcome. Look at the GBR.
As we are all lazy buggers, as i was on my way back from Sydney on Monday reading my fishing magazine and reading yet ANOTHER article on who should do what to whom to save the bay, I got to thinking about the easiest way to get ALL of us lazy buggers to have a voice without having to attend meetings or ring a pollie. A huge percentage of us buy many varied magazines so what if someone in the know, contacted ALL the fishing and boating mags and asked them to put a large colourful petition in the mag for us to fill in and drop off at our favourite fishing shop, or VMR or anywhere we can organise that will collect the petitions for collation to send off to the pollies. Imagine the numbers. imagine the impact. Imagine getting BCF to put petitions in all their shops fro us to sign on our many visits or any fishing and tackle shop for that matter. After all, its their living thats also getting eroded.

Now I am not in the know but there are many here that are. Guys, the time is NOW, or NEVER and lose it. With time being a major factor, I urge SOMEONE in the know to get this movement happening. We are a joke to the pollies because were lazy. Imagine where the radical greenies would be if they sat on their ar$es and waited for "someone else" to do it. Such a small group who we all thought were a bunch of raving, braless, hairy armpitted lunatics. Look whos laughing at who now.
THE TIME IS NOW.
Oh and one more thing, they are staring on the creeks next. They want ALL creeks closed. now they know that if they ask for all of them they have no hope of getting it, at least not yet, but they will get some. Then more then all. Its how they do it. We compromise when they are going to close somewhere we love. We say, oh well its only 20%, then another 20%, and now theyre asking for more. DO IT FOR YOURSELVES. DO IT NOW. We are going to lose it ALL. Every damn centimetre.

Synful
04-10-2007, 10:04 PM
This is the reason to vote for the AFLP (http://www.fishingparty.com.au) at the upcoming federal election.

In addition, why not join up (http://www.fishingparty.com.au/Members.htm) and help spread the word (also volunteer to help at the election booths) to stop this lunacy before it's too late?

Petitions only go so far; we need people with a background in fishing and genuine love of the sport that we all enjoy to be in Canberra to stop the rot.

KC, perhaps some stickers to hand out at the booths?:

"Can't go fishing in the river? Don't blame me, I voted AFLP in the election"... ::)

Lucky_Phill
04-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Unfortunately, the Newbs is right.

It is always too easy to let the other guy do something. In the Courier Mail today was an article on Kevin Collins and the Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party ( previously The Fishing Party Queensland ) and it was pointing out that the Party had not decided on where it’s preferences were going to go. The article also made it clear ( and is fact ) that TFPQ votes were given to Barnaby Joyce which got him his Senate seat. This IS the way to go, we ( rec and com fishos ) need a united front, organisation and spokesperson.

Lobbying Governments is not an easy process and I feel it is best done from within…….thus at this Federal Election it is a matter of do nothing and lose it, as NEWBY plainly puts it A vote for the right party will ensure that WE have a voice that can achieve an outcome. It is no use sending in petitions to members of Government unless we back it up with VOTES. The vote will make them sit up and take notice. It always does.

There was about 30,000 votes given to TFPQ at the last Federal election, I would like to see a zero added to the end of that figure for this election.

Please let’s not turn this thread into a debate on political grounds or whatever, this thread is a wakeup call to all of us. Those of us here in the South East Corner of the State, probably don’t realize how bad the effect has been on our good friends just a short drive to our north.

I personally believe that 99% of us fishoes want a Future Fishery and will accept and embrace scientifically proven methods of sustainability. What we will NOT accept, is ad-hok, badly informed, knee-jerk reaction, cow-towing to greenies, misguided regulations put in place to appease a radical minority lobby group. To achieve our aims we must have that voice, we must have that power, we must have that spokeperson, we must present a united front and most of all we must place our precious vote in the right hands.

You may not be interested in politics, you may have better things to do on polling day, you may not care who gets into power as you believe they are all tarred with the same brush, you may have even never voted………..I ask you, how much time are you willing to give up to continue to fish in your favourite place ? I suggest about 5 minutes and add 10 seconds to fill out the ballot paper. A lifetime return on your 5 minute investment……. I like those odds !

I am not aligned with any Political Party except for AFLP and they are MY united front, my voice and will get my precious vote in the Senate on polling day.

All the above is in my personal opinion only.

Cheers Phill

artesian
04-10-2007, 11:50 PM
politics is the only way - we have to match the other side at their own game in parliament and at the ballot box. And we'll have to do 150% better than the other side, because they have had more practice, and because their appeals to emotion suit media grabs and therefore short term political agendas better. Of course we all agree the (pick a cute animal)should be saved, and thanks, but I don't really want to spend the time to understand the scientific argument. - that decision is the one we need to find a way to win

'Consultation' with Departments is perhaps too late, the political game is about preferences, and it is over by the time the dept gets it.

Looking at the departments, how many gung ho rec fishers are there in the relevant departments? How many of exactly the opposite view.

NEWBY
05-10-2007, 06:57 AM
One thing I will say about a mass petition is it sends shivers up he spines of Pollies when there are littereally thousands of petitions raised in their constituant. Imagine being in a marginal seat with = amounts of fishos and greenies. 10,000 fishos crack a sad and present 10,000 petitions to him and 4,00 greenies do the same. Let me tell you he will do what he has to do to appease the fishos cause they have the bigger voice. I myself hate all pollies but they can be manipulated to get what is fair for all. Imagne a million or so petitions landing on someones desk. Imagine if everyone here sent 1 email to 1 party headquarters. I dont know how many members ausfish has but just 1 email each. They will listen. The pollies need to be bombarded from every angle from anyone who cares, if we can be bothred.

FNQCairns
05-10-2007, 07:58 AM
I am not very sure about petitions anymore, I think once it was a great tool, back when the pollies were for the people and people as individuals had a value in their own right, society lead by government has moved on.

I remember less than a year ago a massive petition was presented to the federal liberal party, forget what it was for now, they openly (effectivley) laughed it away and that issue had good media coverage The games about nothing but numbers today and nothing finer or human and we will never see rec fishing basic rights/expectations media coverage like other issues recieve.

Today if a person does nothing but vote to make a difference there is no difference that can be made IMO.
I liken a fishing related vote to an investment, from the moment it is cast that value will keep solid for years to come and work for US, I cannot think of another option that would not be palmed away and ignored altogether within acouple of days in the corridors of power.

cheers fnq

Flattie Assassin
05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
This is the reason to vote for the AFLP (http://www.fishingparty.com.au) at the upcoming federal election.

Well i'd like to vote for someone who is for the fisho's. The problem is i'm not just gonna do it because they support fishing. What are there views on immigration and the state of our health services?.

Timmy94
05-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Are you steal able to vote even if theirs nobody in your electorate?
We dont have anyone from AFLP, what do we do?

Synful
05-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Well i'd like to vote for someone who is for the fisho's. The problem is i'm not just gonna do it because they support fishing. What are there views on immigration and the state of our health services?.

Hi Flattie,

Their views on this are outlined here (http://www.fishingparty.com.au/behavofsenator.htm).
Seems to be a pretty fair view I think.

Synful
05-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Are you steal able to vote even if theirs nobody in your electorate?
We dont have anyone from AFLP, what do we do?

Hi Timmy,

The AFLP are standing in the Senate not the house of Reps so you should be able to vote for them if you wish irrespective of your location.

Lucky_Phill
05-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Timmy , Flattie,

The AFLP are running in the Senate.

The party do not want to run the country but have views on all others areas of Government. Basically supporting the Government of the day. Better to follow Synful's link and have a read. As stated above, this is not a political debate, it is a chance for everyone who fishes to make an investment in their future.

You can still vote for your local member in the house of reps, but we are talking the Senate here. You will be able to vote for an AFLP candidate at your polling booth.

Phill

Flattie Assassin
05-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Sounds sweet, i'm in.

Chris Ryan
05-10-2007, 06:24 PM
I agree with the others here. It is why I joined the party, its why I am talking to whoever wants to listen on the issues and why it is so important to stop the steamrolling of radicalism against not only fishing, but 4wding, camping in national parks and more. It is why I ask people this question "Can you look your kids in the eye and tell them they can't go fishing/camping/4wding on Fraser etc?" then look at yourself and say "Did you do anything to help?" Its a hard way to put it, but this is what will happen.

Please help spread the word and please help on polling day manning booths. Not only will you help the AFLP out, but there have been donations of fishing gear made to give away to people who help.

If you want to put your name down to help, log onto the website http://www.fishingparty.com.au and download the newsletter. Details of who to contact North and South are located there; or PM me your details and I will put you down as I have volunteered to co-ordinate the Southern Region of QLD to do my part for the greater good of us all.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Volvo
05-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Know how ya feel mate and wholeheatedly agree with what you say BUT!!!"Been there , done that" andalli can say is far as most Pollies go etc the closures are a "DONE DEAL!!"...
Was one of the concerned few re the last lot and what ye will hear from the Powers above is "Consevation for tomorrow n the future generation"...
Unless Fisho's are willing to partake in a Blockade with their Vehicles n Tinnies somewhere where they will be noticed i doubt there will be much satisfaction at days end...
Lucky Phil about sums it up and even petitions fall on deaf ears nowadays even if your loacal MP sez go ahead n drop em on my doorstep::) ....
The closures will go ahead ..How severe or what areas may be the only wee bit of satisfaction at days end......
Just my thoughts mate:-/ ..
Happy trials for tomorrow by the way n let us know if your short of a deckie:) ..

NEWBY
06-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Once again all I see here are negatives and what wont work. Once again, look at the hairy armpitted radicals 20 or so years ago. Now look at them. The trick is that persistence overcomes resistance and let me tell ya, fishos are about as persistent as farts. They just blow away. So as a last ditch effort from me, I ask that someone here in the know get to the masses via magazines and email/internet and get a permanent movement happening or like I said. Lose it. Believe me, if I had the contacts I would be screaming and kicking and yelling. Even eye scratching is fair. sitting here telling everyone that no matter what we do we lose or it wont work is BULL. It has worked for everyone that has stuck to it.

PinHead
06-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Once again all I see here are negatives and what wont work. Once again, look at the hairy armpitted radicals 20 or so years ago. Now look at them. The trick is that persistence overcomes resistance and let me tell ya, fishos are about as persistent as farts. They just blow away. So as a last ditch effort from me, I ask that someone here in the know get to the masses via magazines and email/internet and get a permanent movement happening or like I said. Lose it. Believe me, if I had the contacts I would be screaming and kicking and yelling. Even eye scratching is fair. sitting here telling everyone that no matter what we do we lose or it wont work is BULL. It has worked for everyone that has stuck to it.

you could start it yourself...wording a petition and asking magazines to print it etc..start a web site with online petitions on it...many ways to attack if you want to.

Chris Ryan
06-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Newby,

I bought this months QFM this morning and there is a big article from the Managing Editor about the Bay issue and a full page ad from the Australian Fishing and Lifestlye Party in there as well. I daresay your idea of the advertising/magazine angle was being thought of by others already. Let's hope it is the first of many more to come.

Cheers.

Synful
06-10-2007, 04:56 PM

Hi Newby,

The AFLP have sent out a newsletter today advising that they have a half page article in this months NQ Fish and Boat (that I can confirm) as well as other publications.

Have a look at P. 51 if you get chance; some good reading there targeted to the "heartland" so to speak.

No one has said that persistence won't pay off, just that there is a lot of headaches involved in getting to the point where pollies will listen; the election is the one real chance where a difference can be made where it will count.

Do your petition, do your calls to the local MP but also don't forget to vote for the party or candidate that will protect and stand up for your rights to go 4WD'ing, fishing and camping that we all love so much. Having someone who will vote against the greens closing all of this off to us and our children is just as important as "badgering" the local MP with phone calls or petitions.

Chris Ryan
06-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Well it looks like they are on trail for the mags. Thats QFM and NQ Fish and Boat; starting to confirm that the AFLP are on the same wavelength as you newbie!!

Can I put you down as booth workers for election day Newbie & Synful??? This is a MAJOR part of helping out!!

Cheers,
Chris

plaztix
06-10-2007, 06:57 PM
A recent threat to ban kite surfers in the Noosa River Mouth (instigated by hairy arm pitted greenies apparently) was recently turned around by the masses of a well known internet forum (seabreeze.com.au)

Petitions, meetings with local council members and a peaceful protest along with many hours of hard work from a select few resulted in a positive result for these guys.

It was a local council issue rather than a state govt. (or are the moreton bay closures federal???) but still its gotta give you some hope that the opinion of the masses still counts at the end of the day.

Try to find out a particular person or department that is involved and hit them with constructive and well thought out arguments of why the bay closures are not a desired result.

Synful
06-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Well it looks like they are on trail for the mags. Thats QFM and NQ Fish and Boat; starting to confirm that the AFLP are on the same wavelength as you newbie!!

Can I put you down as booth workers for election day Newbie & Synful??? This is a MAJOR part of helping out!!

Cheers,
Chris

Hi BPD,

No need, I was the first person to phone the day the call went out; to quote Kev "you're first batter up" :) Haven't heard anything back from him since as he was flying to Brisbane that day to shoot a DVD for "Booth Captains"; and obviously he's a busy boy at present. I too volunteered to be a booth captain here in Cairns on the Northern Beaches.

But with that mentioned, I'm keen as mustard to see the first AFLP senator elected, please put me down to do anything that can help here in Cairns. The risk of it not happening are too frightening to contemplate...

This year I had the privilege of being able to help my 3 year old little boy catch his first fish.
That was a special moment that i will never forget; not something that I ever want to have taken away from any parent or child. These moments are on borrowed time if the Greens close off the creeks and rivers like they want to do.

Having met Kev for the first time at the AGM a few weeks ago (after emailing back and forth over time) I can assure anyone that he is as passionate about the cause as anyone can be. I haven't met Dave Donald (and to be honest I didn't know of him prior to the AGM :-[), but if Kevin has endorsed him then that's good enough for me.

Chris Ryan
06-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey Andrew,

Geez you were a close first! I had calls coming through here too and I am impressed by people who tell me "Not really into politics but I got to help you guys somewhere otherwise we're stuffed". If we all get into gear and grab 2 mates to do the same, we will get the booths manned across the state. We need a large number of people and where the booths are manned, the party will poll high - which leads to beating the other minor parties, which leads to a senate seat going to a party that give a crap about ensuring our outdoor lifestyle is there for all to enjoy and not turn the country into a zoo.

Mate I will make sure we get some stuff to you. We have a heap of stuff coming out of the printers soon from posters, stickers, brochures, Booth worker sign-up forms and more. I'll let you know when things start to ship out.

Thanks for the support,
Chris

Synful
06-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the support,
Chris

Chris, just sent you a PM...

Sea-Dog
06-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Just for those of us that think with our wallets - the membership fee for the
AFLP is $22-00 for 3 years.

http://www.fishingparty.com.au/membership.pdf

A lot of bang for your buck - and you can say you did something.

Seems to be payable only by cheque though. :(

Would be easier if credit card facilities were available.

NEWBY
08-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Heres another thing, Does the AFLP have a candidate in my area, Gladstone/CQ? If so, I dont know about them. Our local labor MP I know cause he campaigns. If I have a local, llet me know who they are.

Synful
08-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Heres another thing, Does the AFLP have a candidate in my area, Gladstone/CQ? If so, I dont know about them. Our local labor MP I know cause he campaigns. If I have a local, llet me know who they are.

Hi Newby,

Locally, your candidate would be most likely Kev Collins who is an Airlie Beach local.

As pointed out previously the AFLP are only standing in the senate and not the House of Reps and currently are only fielding four candidates: Kev Collins, Dave Donald, Neil Armstrong and Paul Tippins in SA. More info is available here (http://www.fishingparty.com.au/senatecan.htm).