PDA

View Full Version : Protecting you boat from the Jetty

mjbpjk
04-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi all,

I was playing with the boat today and to my horror I noticed a massive chip in the brand new paintwork

Its about the size of a 10 cent piece.

Im deeply saddened by this although I knew it was sure to happen.
But why so soon and why so obvious!!!!

Anyway I touched up the chip to hopefully prevent corrosion and im interested to know how you guys protect your boat against jetties.

I’ve looked at fenders before but never got any as I struggle to comprehend how they could work effectively.

Call me simple that’s fine, but most are the white ones with the blue tips which would work fine in a vertical position until the boat moved forward or backward and then would appear to be useless.

They may work fine horizontal until the boat went up or down when it to would appear to do nothing.

All the fenders i have seen are similar in design to these and would work a treat when 2 flat sided boats parked next to each other and wanted to tie them self’s together. Perfect for sure.

But what if one side is to be tapered in and the other uneven like a timber jetty with vertical posts every 2.5 meters or so.

What to we do then??

As you can see im a little confused and am in need of guidance.

Im thinking two or 3 car tubes would work well but they may bust and where would i store them

Any help would be great.

Cheers Pete

bastard
04-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I wont tie up to jetties,we seem to mainly have floating pontoons.

Sea Bee
04-10-2007, 06:56 PM
The best method is to put a board between two fenders, and let the board rub up against the piles.

Obviously, you don't want old board laying around on a trailer boat, but this is how yachties manage with piles and jetties.