PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tug (puller)

SgBFish
04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I am a bit surprised there aren’t more of these types of things on the market. There is electric (12V and 24V) but no 240V. This one is interesting as it is petrol powered from the good old US of A.

I have 2 questions.

Does anyone know if these or something like this is available here?

And secondly, how hard would it be to make one?

Might help to have one of these toys…

Scott

Timmy94
04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
What about Petrol a small Whipper Snipper or Mower Engine. Even Rechargeable?

SgBFish
04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Tim.
I think that’s all it is on the one pictured. A 6.5 petrol engine. It’s the gearbox that gets me. It would need forward and reverse.

On the US website it states,

“The TrailerTug Hydro pullers are economical ways to move, pull, or push your trailer into tight fitting spaces that can be difficult or virtually impossible with your tow vehicle. TrailerTug trailer pullers can move up to 10,000 lbs/940 lbs tongue weight capacity. These high quality machines are made of a powder coated, heavy-duty 1-1/2" square tube frame. Using only high-grade hardware, TrailerTugs are powered by either a 6 1/2 HP (Manual Start) or 6 1/2 HP (Electric Start) engine.

The "TrailerTug Hydro" has a hydrostatic type transmission and has only one lever which can smoothly vary forward and reverse speeds without changing any gears (This allows ease of operation). The ball adapter is interchangeable and can be ordered in any ball size and height.

Your TrailerTug comes with a manual, a 30-day money back satisfaction guarantee and a 1 year parts only warranty. Standard model includes pull-start engine, rib tires, and 1 ball adapter. Note: Both trailer movers pictured above are electric start and have rib style tires.”

What a hydrostatic transmission is I have no idea?

Scott

5cougarsthanx
04-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Scott,
What about fining an old ride on mower some of these had hydro gearboxes in them.Better still just keep it complete and fit a towball.
Cougrman

tropicrows
04-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Scott,
Check out the web page below. They are not cheap, & come in varing models. I to am looking at building one, but first need to find a suitable 12v DC motor to use. The biggest problem with using a 12v motor is the amount of current they draw. If you use 240v you need a gaerbox if you want foward and reverse control. I don't like the petrol motor option, because of the noise.

Bruce

http://www.travellerwa.com.au/

SgBFish
04-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Bruce.
I have been in contact with TravelerWA. Their machines are very expensive for an electric motor and tow ball. Their motor is rated to 300NM output.
I suspect a 6.5Hp petrol would be a greater output plus not batteries to worry about.

Thanks Courgarman I might head down the local mower shop and have a chat to them.

There must be a demand for this sort of thing. Not all of us need a forklift that boat yards use.

Scott

Timmy94
04-10-2007, 05:19 PM
True about the noise issue i dont no if your neighbours will apreciate a lawnmower noise at 3 or 4 am on a Sunday Morning, Then again their dog barks all night long so they can go to hell.

tunaticer
04-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Why bother with a gearbox go hydraulic. You would only need a very small pump and hydraulic motor and it will have enough torque to move almost any trailerable boat around. Hydraulic powerpacks are available in 12 24 240 and 415 volt and are very compact. You will never have a drama with gearboxes stuffing up or belts coming loose or having to ride a clutch for easy manouvring.
Hydraulic is definitely the way to go.

Jack.

Jack.

Chimo
04-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Heres a link to a range of them

http://www.powrproducts.com.au/uses.php

I also used an aircraft mover made by a small enginering company in Horsham years ago. Not sure if they are still making them, maybe the Vic members can check it out in Horsham?

Cheers
Chimo

MEGA'bite
04-10-2007, 07:00 PM
check out ebay they sell on there

fez
04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
As Flatty said ebay have some under the caravan section i think.

Fez

SgBFish
04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks folks.

Jack any idea on where i could get the 240V hydraulic pump alone?

scott

Greg P
04-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Tim.
I think that’s all it is on the one pictured. A 6.5 petrol engine. It’s the gearbox that gets me. It would need forward and reverse.

On the US website it states,

“The TrailerTug Hydro pullers are economical ways to move, pull, or push your trailer into tight fitting spaces that can be difficult or virtually impossible with your tow vehicle. TrailerTug trailer pullers can move up to 10,000 lbs/940 lbs tongue weight capacity. These high quality machines are made of a powder coated, heavy-duty 1-1/2" square tube frame. Using only high-grade hardware, TrailerTugs are powered by either a 6 1/2 HP (Manual Start) or 6 1/2 HP (Electric Start) engine.

The "TrailerTug Hydro" has a hydrostatic type transmission and has only one lever which can smoothly vary forward and reverse speeds without changing any gears (This allows ease of operation). The ball adapter is interchangeable and can be ordered in any ball size and height.

Your TrailerTug comes with a manual, a 30-day money back satisfaction guarantee and a 1 year parts only warranty. Standard model includes pull-start engine, rib tires, and 1 ball adapter. Note: Both trailer movers pictured above are electric start and have rib style tires.”

What a hydrostatic transmission is I have no idea?

Scott

Hydrostatic transmission consists of a hyd pump/s and drive motor/s (no gearbox). Usually axial piston pumps with variable flow (f/r) to control direction and speed.

Cheers

greg

oldboot
04-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Go buy yourself an old cox ride on.

The transmission on these old things is crude but they are low geared.

A customer of my brother uses one to drag his light plane arround.

cheers

Crocodile
05-10-2007, 11:46 AM
I use a gadget called a Power Wheel.
It is a jockey wheel with fwd/rev ratchet and you crank a long handle up and down to make it move and to steer.
Will push a 650 kg boat up a steepish driveway.
A very robust machine mine is 10 years old and still good.
Limitations are lack of traction on leaves/grass, only about 30kg on drawbar, OK on concrete.
No brakes, ratchet or steer 90 degrees to stop.
If you pushed up a hill and down the other side it would run away, turn 90 degrees to stop.