PDA

View Full Version : Green group gathers forces

Shane_78
04-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Just thought everyone should know that me and my mate were at the RE last night and the AMCS mob was there having a getting together about Moreton Bay... Rallying the troups. There were only about 20 people there though so if that is their idea of rallying the troops then I don't think we need to be too worried as I've been to MBAA meetings and there are always more than that...

They are pretty open and approachable and I gotta say convincing.... I listened in on what they were saying and if you didn't read stuff that was put on the ausfish website you would really believe them. :-[

I had a 'debate' with one of them and I gotta say they really know their stuff... Most of them are scientists and didn't look like the hippies I expected.

Hope its helpful

Shane 8-)

PADDLES
04-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Good on ya Shane, I reckon there's a lot of people on here that don't realise what we're all up against (there are also quite a few that do know).

pontiph02
04-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Most of them are scientists and didn't look like the hippies I expected.

What a shame that you have been so prejudiced by the reactionary crap you read on this website, Shane_78, that you were expecting a bunch of hippies.

I look forward to the time when recreational fishers in Queensland realise that their interests are fundamentally aligned with those of the green movement, as they have in other places.

The issues that pose the biggest threat to our fisheries are related to habitat degradation and unsustainable practices, not the protection of certain areas.

Rob

kc
04-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi Rob,

Welcome to Ausfish. As obviously someone "outside looking in" I would love to hear your thoughts on Professor Kearney's document in regards the Batemans Bay marine park and his scathing opinion of the process and misuse of the science behind it. The same feeling appears to pervade the Moreton Bay rezoning process.

Fair to suggest there is some "reactionary crap" on this site, just as there is some "reactionary crap" on conservation sites as well. This is the nature of chat boards used by any intertest group. What is nice, even at the risk of entering the lions den, is someone from the "dark side" prepared to stick their head up and express an oppossing view. So, honestly, welcome. So...what about what Professor Kearney has to say about the marine parks issue??

Regards

Kev

Fafnir
05-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Most of them are scientists and didn't look like the hippies I expected.

Surprising that you thought they would be hippies. I have always pictured hippies as dope smoking layabouts who would not get up in arms about too much.

I recently had a debate with someone who was proud to announce himself as being a 'greeny'. I was actually surprised at how little he knew. Obviously not one of the frontline troops, more of a minnon.

Fafnir
05-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I look forward to the time when recreational fishers in Queensland realise that their interests are fundamentally aligned with those of the green movement, as they have in other places.

Which other places are they? I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for that day to come. The sooner greens just come out and admit they would like to see all fishing banned the better. The lack of activity in relation to the 50,000 tonnes of sand to be pumped from the bay to build a new runway is clear evidence that green groups don't really give a rats about the bay, they are only interested in banning fishing.

We will all be on the same page when the greens accept that fishing is not the root of all evil and both sides work together on the real issues here such as pollution entering our waterways and the impact of development has on habitats in and around the bay etc. Why don't the greens actually work as hard on things that actually will make a difference in the future? If they did focus on such issues then the considerable time and effort they devote to such causes would actually result in some long term good.

cuzzamundi
05-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Yep, gotta agree with Fafnir, the proof's right there. The overall health of the bay is being compromised on so many different levels, by so many different things, and yet they are targeting a group whose actions aren't even proven to be detrimental to the environment. They DO NOT have the bay's best interests at heart - it's plainly obvious.

cuzza

kc
05-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Hoping Rob sticks his head in again and gives us an opinion on Professor Kearney's paper. Trust most here have read it.

Also the snippets from the greens internal policy documents

To Whit :

2.1 Much larger areas of Queensland to be fully protected as National Parks to ensure that ecological and evolutionary processes can be maintained and that the natural dynamics at all levels of biological association can continue (target: 15% compared to current <5%).
3.1 Prohibit recreational fishing in National Parks. NB: This would include most of Fraser Island, Lakefield National Park and much of Cape York, all of the Daintree and Kakadu.

& from another document:
Establish a continuous Marine Park from the NSW border to the NT border.
Once established, a comprehensive network of no-take zones should be established in the Park to conserve biodiversity and ecosystem values. (No take zones should be established in accordance with the IUCN standard of a 20-30% minimum) NB : Regardless of need for such zones, just a blind ideology.
Introduce a saltwater recreational fishing licence to Queensland state
Waters. A licensing system would provide revenue for research, education, habitat protection and rehabilitation. NB : Note this wording, there is absolutely no mention of using funds for stocking or to enhance the recreational fishing experience
Work with the National Oceans Office and the Northern Territory
Government to develop the Northern Regional Marine Plan that includes a comprehensive, adequate and representative network of marine sanctuaries which protect 20-50% of all bioregions in highly protected areas.

Now I don't know if this is what Rob terms "reactionary crap" but from where I sit, this looks pretty much like they are real out to cause the recreational fishing community some pretty seriuos heartache.

Anyhow. Over to Rob. Hope he comes back on and gives us the other side of the argument.

KC

PinHead
05-10-2007, 03:43 PM
What a shame that you have been so prejudiced by the reactionary crap you read on this website, Shane_78, that you were expecting a bunch of hippies.

The issues that pose the biggest threat to our fisheries are related to habitat degradation and unsustainable practices, not the protection of certain areas.

Rob

and what about the dribble that emanates from the mouths of green groups....seems like they just stand in bars and discuss it..I doubt anyone from any green group would know the bow from the stern on a boat let alone be able to direct anyone to most of the areas proposed by our so called panel of experts. Gimme one fisho stinking of bait over 100 greenies any day..at least you will get some reasoning and discussion..not just mindless lemming like crap the green groups carry on with.

(in case you had not guessed...I am a true believer in the saying that...the only true wilderness is between a greenies ears)

Mad-One
07-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Years ago in Tassie when the greens were protesting to stop the daming of the franklin river the greenies were coming to tassie in droves and then hitch hiking to the protest site. Me and a few mates used to love picking them up and taking them to the FRANKLIN RIVULET not River ( 1 is at the north of the state the other at the south) and dropping them off and telling them to just walk a couple of K's into the bush and they would find the protest site. Not one said no this is not the place. They had no clue were the Franklin river was they just wanted to go for the protest. I think half of them just like to cause trouble. Worst part was because people didn't take them seriously the Franklin was not dammed and alot of jobs were lost but hey what do they care most of them would not have an honest days work in them

Mad

blaze
07-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Years ago in Tassie when the greens were protesting to stop the daming of the franklin river the greenies were coming to tassie in droves and then hitch hiking to the protest site. Me and a few mates used to love picking them up and taking them to the FRANKLIN RIVULET not River ( 1 is at the north of the state the other at the south) and dropping them off and telling them to just walk a couple of K's into the bush and they would find the protest site. Not one said no this is not the place. They had no clue were the Franklin river was they just wanted to go for the protest. I think half of them just like to cause trouble. Worst part was because people didn't take them seriously the Franklin was not dammed and alot of jobs were lost but hey what do they care most of them would not have an honest days work in them

Mad
I was part of all this, not protesting but building the dams. Funny thing was that at the time I was flying in via chopper to the dam site proper and the protesters were no where near the dam site. Tasmania's unemployment is about the same amount as the hydro employed. We were/are producing the cleanest power of any state and the water is used to not only operate one power station but upto 4 stations as the water flows from one dam to the next and out to sea.
cheers
blaze

disorderly
07-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Me and a few mates used to love picking them up and taking them to the FRANKLIN RIVULET not River ( 1 is at the north of the state the other at the south) and dropping them off and telling them to just walk a couple of K's into the bush and they would find the protest site. Not one said no this is not the place. They had no clue were the Franklin river was they just wanted to go for the protest. I think half of them just like to cause trouble.
Mad

Classic stuff,mad onehttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Must have been a hoot.
But you raise a very valid almost disturbing point.
There appears to be so many "greenies" who are ill-informed or cant really be bothered to research their causes but who seem to be green because it makes them fit in as part of a group or scene.

Peace,brother I'm off to Byron to save the whales,man!

Scott

Louis
16-10-2007, 04:10 PM
What I find interesting about greenies is:-

They talk green but they live concrete.

Louis