PDA

View Full Version : wot's ya favoret lure to use

nuggstar
04-10-2007, 08:15 AM
what lure do you have that gives you the most enjoyment when useing it, even if you have not got anything on it.

Flattie Assassin
04-10-2007, 08:45 AM
I would say any soft plastic. I love the feel of the bounce across the bottom. It's almost like you can see the plastics action as it moves along. Also love it when they get close enough to see. And you can try different actions and see how the lure behaves. I'm working on a shaking retrieve at the moment that looks mad as when viewed underwater.

Hardb8
04-10-2007, 08:59 AM
:-/ Too many to choose from.So many favourites.

If I had ta narrow it to one,For user pleasure and effectiveness.

It would be :- Jackall Bros Water Moccassin.

Excellent lure to walk,And in the right circumstances....Pure fish candy.;)

You just can't compare a topwater strike to any other.;D

nuggstar
04-10-2007, 09:38 AM
yes ric i know wot ya on about rick. i just started to try and make my own spook type last night at work hehe (thats my favoret type lure) as my lucky r2s bubbel pen got stolen by a hungry barra the other night. here is my dodgy work so far, its not finished yet.

Little grey men
04-10-2007, 09:56 AM
My favourite lure to use would have to be a 1/2oz Smak spinnerbait. It's not my most effective lure, that award would go to a Jackall TN70 or a Spro , but the spinners are the most fun for me. I fish them at North pine, where they are effective, but when I fish them out on the Condamine River the fun really starts.
I fish them in the nastiest snaggiest looking places I can find. They can be cast right into the sticks and walked across the tops of the sunken woodwork. You feel the lure bumping into things underwater which turns the Yellowbelly right on.
I enjoy casting them across the river and landing them on the opposite bank slowly walking them to the edge and "plop" into the water, and slowly swimming them across. They also look really cool slowly spinning and throwing out that flash in the early morning light.
An added bonus is the ability to attach a soft plastic to them as well, which adds a bit of oomph !!!

Hey Hardb8. I'm always on the look out for good surface lures for fresh..Does that Jackall you mentioned make a lot of racket or is it more silent and deadly?
I think I've seen one before, is the eye of the lure underneath it's chin?
I fish in pretty dirty water and my surface lures have to kick up a stink to attract fish.:)

Hardb8
04-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Nice work Nugg,
I too was making my own stickb8's at work.I used a broom handle cut into lenghts at 15cm for a big Barra temptation :o .A little bigger than a Zara Spook.Turned the ends down,And used a heavy guage wire for the internal frame work and epoxyed it in place.They looked awsome,But I never got round to painting them,Hence they are unfinished/Unfished.But I reckon they'll go alright when they're done.

Your's is lookin good M8.Make sure ya post the first fish ya land on it for us ta see.

Lil Grey,
The Water Moccassin has a small single plasitc ball in a chamber behind the head,And two either lead or tungsten balls in the tail section,The two in the rear are packed quite tightly in their section and don't make too much racket.These also aid in casting,And keep the lure sitting tail down (Pencil b8) when at rest.But the single up front has a fair bit of room to move and is therefore pretty rowdy,And produces most noise.

It is not what I would call a loud lure when the walking action is imparted.But it produces more than enough noise for it to be heard by fish hiding in nearby weeds.

When I hold the lure in my hand and shake it.It sounds very similar to the sounds that Cicadas emit.I hold the hooks still to get the true sound of the rattle only.

The tow point is indeed just under the chin of the Water Moccassin.

If it's noisy ya after,May I suggest the Arbogast Jitterbug.These things are probably the rowdyst little buggers I've used.

Quick Jitterbug scenario :-

Chick (Freespool mode), Fzzzzzzz (Cast), Ploop (Landing lure),Chick,Chick (Renguaging of spool).........................................(Th e killer pause) Blup Blup Blup Blup Blup Blup Blup (Lure noise on retrieve),BOOOOOOOFF (This is the soung of ya lure dissaperaing),FFFFFFFFF,FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF(You losing line) HOLY F&$kIN $h!T ;D ;D ;D (Your usual startled response)

Ya prefer not to hear the big CRACK of braid parting,But this noise may also be heard if excessive force is applied when a run for cover needs to be stopped.

I've found that Jitterbugs seem to attract bigger fish,And their noise works well in turbid conditions.

I get more strikes using more subtle lures such as the Moccassin though.It has also seen some quite large fish.As it isn't such a noisey presentation,I think the smaller fish as well as the big,Have the confidence to have a good go at it.

Hope ya liked the sound effects.:)

Cheers. B8.;)

Little grey men
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Hardb8, mate you described that beautifully. If I may I would like to conclude the topwater session with startled fisherman standing on the edge of the river and looking around madly asking " didya see that? huh, did ya ? who's got the toilet paper ?;D

Nothing like a big surface hit to get your knees trembling.

Thanks for the info mate.

fish_on
04-10-2007, 03:51 PM
a dirty scum frog

finding_time
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Pitbull no.2 or RT2 it's very hard to split them, and i am very biased!!;D

Ian

Daniel_603
04-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Mine would definatly be a Jitterbug but one of the bigger jointed ones .There easy to use and as Hardb8 described some of the bass strikes on these are frightening

imnotoriginal
04-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, the surface lures are good fun. I really enjoy popping, but the bibless topwater lures (like skywalkers or squidgy bugs) are great fun too cause they leave that little wake as they move along and you're just waiting for something to follow that wake to its source.
Joel

tunaticer
04-10-2007, 05:44 PM
My favorite lure is a Baby Merlin in fishskin colour. Bream cant help themselves with it. Favorite Jack lure is a Pearl colour Leads 3" deep diver.

Jack.

Ryan.S
04-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Im relatively new to SP's but am enjoying them lately.

Cameron Sims
04-10-2007, 06:08 PM
mate

bomber shallow diver is very easy to wind and the action is very slow and smooth

cameron

manchild
04-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Maybe im old fashioned but i still use and love tassie devils.They still catch plenty of fish and very hard for the fish to split it or shake them out once they hooked.
cheers
George

basskid
04-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey everyone,
i have to put my jackall thought away today and say my favourite lure is deffinateely my ausspin spinnerbait in 1/2 oz in black and gold with a gamakatsu stinger hook. it is my go to lure when i try news destinatoins at the different dams.

bigbass
04-10-2007, 08:24 PM
When i was fishing in and around brizzy it was definatley the Dan McGrath attack in orange/Black followed by the Pink & white.

Nowdays definatley Reidys B52 in gold and silver! all I need.

fish_outta_water
05-10-2007, 07:50 AM
hiya nuggs ,
sign me up for the kmart el cheapo poppers (with a change of trebles ) prefreably at night, and yes with a spare pair of undies at hand
carl

zedjack33
05-10-2007, 07:56 AM
It's all gonna depend on what you are chasing.............but these are the ones that get a fair flogging when I head out!!!!

Plastic = Terminator snapback in electric chicken

Hard body = RMG Poltergeist in fluro green and yellow

nuggstar
05-10-2007, 08:18 AM
zedjack what do ya get on the green and yellow poltergeist. and they r good poppers hay carl

vinny78
05-10-2007, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't say they catch the most fish for me, but my fav lure to use would be the Tilsan Bass or Tilsan Barra.

reidy
05-10-2007, 11:43 AM
good day all
My dirty battle scared old nilsmaster invinsable in green/black/yellow.My fav back up trout lure.Every time i use it i pray for its safe return to the boat.It has not let me down in this respect. ha ha
Cheers
Reidy

tully
05-10-2007, 01:14 PM
My all time fave would have to be Rapala CD7 & 9, especially in Quantas colours.
Ever reliable, track straight, reasonably fast for a bibbed minnow and everything you could catch trolling around bombies and headlands will eat 'em.

Noelm
05-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I refuse to answer anyone who says/spells "what" as "wot"! WOT being a Boating term and what being an integral part of the English language.

Little grey men
05-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, c'mon yous blokes...wot's rong wiff ya's ???

Hey Noelm I think it's just the way that this generation communicate..
Due to texting and computers in ten years time all high school leavers will speak in a series of abbreviations and short beeps and clicks, that we will not be able to understand.
I'm thinking that perhaps they're doing this on purpose......sneaky buggers.

Noelm
05-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I guess it is just me! but I think that to text or type on a computer in bad English or odd abreviations is just plain old rude!, I wonder if Dolphins started off like that and ended up with clicks and things to talk to each other?

Little grey men
05-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Could be mate, who knows what those bloody dolphins are saying about us;D

Flattie Assassin
05-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah, c'mon yous blokes...wot's rong wiff ya's ???

in ten years time all high school leavers will speak in a series of abbreviations and short beeps and clicks, that we will not be able to understand.
buggers.

That is a scary thought... :D

B_E_N
05-10-2007, 04:12 PM
mine used to be a little pink and purple predatek micro min, it had the mitus touch!, everywhere i went it made the trip gold!
caught so many different things on it, togas, bass, bream, cod, flathead, whitting, even caught a tree in the end but lost that battle...

zedjack33
05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
zedjack what do ya get on the green and yellow poltergeist. and they r good poppers hay carl

Snapbacks on the reef and for chasing jack........they suspend really well

The Poltergeist I use for jack in deeper holes............................also have had barra as by-catch on. I rec'n they are worth their weight

Cheers zeedjack33

nuggstar
05-10-2007, 05:01 PM
mine used to be a little pink and purple predatek micro min, it had the mitus touch!, everywhere i went it made the trip gold!
caught so many different things on it, togas, bass, bream, cod, flathead, whitting, even caught a tree in the end but lost that battle...
yes i have the same lure in that colour but i have not got anything on it yet.
and i'm sorry my spelling offended you noelm, can we kiss and make up. ya dingbat, at least im giving some imput and giving all these great fisher people something to think about. im sorry and i will try to spell better ok

imnotoriginal
05-10-2007, 08:28 PM
hiya nuggs ,
sign me up for the kmart el cheapo poppers (with a change of trebles ) prefreably at night, and yes with a spare pair of undies at hand
carl

I've only seen them once since you went back home mate. I bought both of them but there's only one left now. I wish they'd put some more out, best value popper ever!

Noelm- Were you a primary school teacher at some point in your life? Bad spelling and grammar can be frustrating, but I think it's time you built a bridge.
Joel

shin25
06-10-2007, 02:34 PM
i cant decide to many choices but my yo-zuri 3D popper wins the race to get tied on first just cant get enough of surface luring

HB's Rapala X-Rap 100mm in silver /black

Plastic Gulp 5" jerk shad in any colour just a good all round plastic

Crumbo
08-10-2007, 07:42 PM
The good old sx40 is the current favourite in my box

rockfisho
09-10-2007, 06:38 PM
I love the halco twistys, for a bit of spinning.

rockfisho

Little grey men
10-10-2007, 08:23 AM
I love the halco twistys, for a bit of spinning.

rockfisho
Good gear for bass too. little 15gm ones

Noelm
10-10-2007, 10:13 AM
imnotoringinal, NO I was never a Teacher, and I can get over it, but I think that if we have the bad Teachers who 'get over it" and let things "slide" then we might just as well not go to school and never learn the correct way of spelling and so on, I have taught a lot of aprentices over the years and it scares me to see how bad some of these kids are at simple stuff (like simple Maths and English) it takes a jiffy longer to type properly so why not do it? and the next Resume' I get from a job applicant that looks like a text message will not be the last, I do not even Interview them.

Noelm
10-10-2007, 10:13 AM
OK had my whinge, sorry to side track the post!

Hardb8
10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
aprentices Sorry mate,Just had to do it.:)

Cheers B8.;)

imnotoriginal
10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
imnotoringinal

I don't know if that was deliberate as well, but it's funny.
Joel

virty
11-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Well my favorites are any Deception lure green and yellow, Bridgewater twin spin 1/2oz purple and white or a Lure Strike dancing jig 3/8oz black and red. All used for cod and yellas.