PDA

View Full Version : buying a quintrex 660 offshore

skyline
04-10-2007, 07:24 AM
hey guys the other day me and my dad went to see some boats. it tok us a while to find the right one when there is 500 boats in the one place. we loved the 660 offshore quintrex beacause of the fishing space and you can always ad things on to it. its got a 200hp motor and alll of the rest you need for deep sea fishing. we are thinking of getting it for xmas. skyline.:Dhope you like the photo.skyline:D http://proxy.tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=11643237&S=IS (javascript:PhotoSS('Alias=boatpointau&TabID=804586&t=QUINTREX+660+OFFSHORE&hideDetails=False&DealerID=46869&s=11643237,11643238,11643239,11643240,11643241,116 43242,11643243,11643244&rs=DEALER-HINTERLAND-MARINE-QLD-BURLEIGH-HEADS-QUINTREX-660OFFSHORE&p=11643237'))

Alchemy
04-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi Skyline,

I had a 600 Offshore Quinny before Alchemy. Two reasons I got rid of the Quinny;

It was the worst riding boat I had been in.
After 3.5yrs of offshore work, I discovered approximately 20 cracks. These cracks included cracked ribs, cracked welds to bulkheads torn from ribs. All this was below deck, and I only discovered it after my bunk frames literally collapsed. Once this occured, I decided I should inspect the entire hull, which is when I found the other damage.So, obviously I would not recommend a Quinny of any sort for offshore work. This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I really believe you'd be better off getting a plate or glass boat.

Regards,
Dave.

Matt_F
04-10-2007, 11:10 AM
My mate owns a 660 c/c Quintrex and uses it offshore. He takes it to the boilermaker annually to weld up all the cracks. He told me 'never buy a Quintrex'!!!!!!!!! If it were me buying a new alluminium boat, and I had the money, I would go for a plate boat (like Fisher or AMM). Just my opinion.
Matt.

SgBFish
04-10-2007, 12:03 PM
As the Quintrex website says, this hull has the softest, quietest and driest riding aluminium boat in the world.

"Our award winning Millennium Hull is an engineering marvel, providing maximum lift with a deep-V to slice through swell and bring you on the plane quicker.

It's the Millennium Hull's variable dead rise that delivers the softest, quietest and driest riding aluminium boat in the world.

The technology used to create the Millennium Hull is unique to Quintrex and allows the hull to take on concave shapes previously only available in fibreglass. "

http://www.quintrex.com.au/Performance/MilleniumHull.aspx (http://www.quintrex.com.au/Performance/MilleniumHull.aspx)
I would like to know how they assessed this?

skyline
04-10-2007, 12:45 PM
i thought that the quinnys were the best aluminium boats. now im thinking there not.skyline

Fish Guts
04-10-2007, 12:53 PM
we had a 610 offshore. very basic finish. would not recommend one.

chris_s
04-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I had a pizza boat, thats what i call the mass produced boats. The more they make the faster they have to make them, so sooner or later you gonna miss out on some topping. I likend mine to kicking a coke can around out on the bay. Its also interesting to add that you are paying nearly the same money for one of these makes as you are for a custom platey and not getting as much, not to mention the resale. Check it out.

SgBFish
04-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Skyline

Get yourself an Offshore Quinnie pack.

Ear plugs for the banging
A good orthopaedic surgeon for your back and knees
A mouthguard to stop your teeth smashing together and stop you putting a tooth through your lip
One of those personal trampolines to stand on when underway.
A snorkel to breathe above the spray
Make friends with someone who can weld aluminium
Build up your wrist strength for hanging on
And a Life ring for those thrown out

finding_time
04-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Skyline

I was going to ask you " WHY " when i saw your post , but the other repliers have pretty much done that , so all i can say is take note of the other replys!! There not exagerating!!! I drove next to one offshore one day , i was in a 5.2 southwind long boat and they had the 660 offshore the wind was blowing at 15knots and the quintrex was slamming that much i'm supprised there were not broken bones on the occupants i was able to travel at about 7knots more than they could and i didn't slam. IMHO they are a river or dam boat at best!! With there marketing they a selling the sizzle not the STEAK!!

Ian

Blackened
04-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Skyline

Get yourself an Offshore Quinnie pack.

Ear plugs for the banging
A good orthopaedic surgeon for your back and knees
A mouthguard to stop your teeth smashing together and stop you putting a tooth through your lip
One of those personal trampolines to stand on when underway.
A snorkel to breathe above the spray
Make friends with someone who can weld aluminium
Build up your wrist strength for hanging on
And a Life ring for those thrown out

G'day

Classic!! maybe you should get a pack together, go see telwater and ask if they'd like you to supply them? :P

Dave

Dan5
04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
But the brochure and salesman told me................................................ ...........

Timmy94
04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
G'day

Classic!! maybe you should get a pack together, go see telwater and ask if they'd like you to supply them? :P

Dave

THE CHASER!!!

Blackened
04-10-2007, 07:42 PM
G'day

Timmy, go send an email off to the chaser and see what they can do?

Dave

Wahoo
04-10-2007, 07:49 PM
HI mate
for the price there asking for them its a joke, get a plate boat built to your needs, you wont look back

Daz

Blackened
04-10-2007, 07:57 PM
G'day

Just a quick one, what's a typical package on a 610 offshore worth?

Just a side note, a client of mine is selling a 650 yellowfin (quinny built by yellowfin) with 150 opti, all about 2003 model? optioned pretty well. Pm me if interested.

Dave

Oog.
04-10-2007, 08:22 PM
As the Quintrex website says, this hull has the softest, quietest and driest riding aluminium boat in the world.

"Our award winning Millennium Hull is an engineering marvel, providing maximum lift with a deep-V to slice through swell and bring you on the plane quicker.

It's the Millennium Hull's variable dead rise that delivers the softest, quietest and driest riding aluminium boat in the world.

The technology used to create the Millennium Hull is unique to Quintrex and allows the hull to take on concave shapes previously only available in fibreglass. "

http://www.quintrex.com.au/Performance/MilleniumHull.aspx (http://www.quintrex.com.au/Performance/MilleniumHull.aspx)
I would like to know how they assessed this?
As somebody that was taken by the quintrex rap, all i can say about my ex offshore is that that the only statement here (from quintrex) that is true is about the dry bit.
What Alchemy/Dave said was spot on.
I went the plate way and i am as happy as a pig