PDA

View Full Version : Hook Point on Fraser stays open

whynott
04-10-2007, 05:48 AM
Looks like we may have had a small win.
It was in yesterday's Courier Mail, that it has been decided to leave Hook Point open, indefinitely, and they are going to reduce the speed limit.
The greenies are outraged that those "greedy, selfishfour wheel drivers" have had a victory.
I know it has been mentioned on this site before about the damage that occured to the inland road, during the recent storms up there.
It looks like the Minister, that is now responsible for "Sustainability", listens to reason.
Good on him, and thank you.:)
Graham.

Chris Ryan
04-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Just check that whynott, the press release from the Ministers office indicated that Hook Point will close at some time in the future, but not until the inland road was repaired further. See this thread..

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=117183

Cheech
04-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Why would the greenies want to close hook point? we drive on the hard sand and do no damage. I just do not understand. If they close that, will they target othere sections of the beach next?

breamexplorer
04-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Maybe they have realised like others who have been up there receintly that from where you get of the barge on the Frazer side will be inpassable within the next 12mths,, i was up there at the start of September and at low tide we were zigzaging through fallen trees and at times driving through the water and at some points against the banks,, so i dont think it will be the greenies who close the beach access to hook point it will be mother nature.....

Lucky_Phill
04-10-2007, 08:57 PM
I too saw the article and I read it as not closing off the Hook Point access.

Maybe an email to the Minister to clarify the situation is needed, but to me, the right decision has been made. I have lost count of the number of times I have been to Fraser and am yet to see a dead migratory bird on the beach that has been subject to hit & run by a 4 x 4 vehicle.

Hook Point is still a issue due to the lack of beach at mid time and up.

Cheers Phill

artesian
04-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Same issue at Moreton.

My family and I were at Clontarf last weekend. 2 mobs of about 20 pied oyster catchers flew by.

They didn't seem all that bothered by the traffic.

It is tempting to say that migratory birds spread bird flu, so they all............oh well, never mind. I quite like the birds.

whynott
05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
I know that I have mentioned it before, but, I was the trip leader for our 4by club to Fraser this year for the annual cleanup weekend, and there was not a greenie in site to offer any assistance.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=104584&highlight=fraser+clean+up
Its a shame that the so called land lovers, who say they care so much about the island, show they care.
It might sound like I am having a whinge, but it is something that I am very passionate about, and I am sure that a lot of other Ausfishers feel the same.

I might see if Ausfish can be involved in the next cleanup, if there is enough intrest.

Graham.

Ryan.S
06-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Wide Bay ch7 News the other night was talking about this issue, and there was some old duck on there wanting all of fraser closed to private vehicles and camping! She was a bird watcher and reckons countless birds are killed all the time. What S#&T, i have never hit a bird up there! And most people are sensible about the way they drive. It seams like these people have had a sheltered childhood or just forget what its like to be a kid on a remote beach with mum and dad. was the most selfish comment iv heard!