PDA

View Full Version : sticker removal

rowanda
03-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi
I am repainting an outboard and was wondering what the best thing to remove old stickers from the cowling is (goo remover/sanding off etc)?? or do I just leave them there, paint over them and put the new stickers on?? also do i clear over the new stickers once on?
Thanks
Rowan

aussiebasser
03-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Heat them up with a hair dryer and they come off easier. You'll need some Dulux Prepsol to clean up the gum left.

blaze
03-10-2007, 10:22 PM
hot air gun to get the sticker off, not to hot though. A citrus based product will remove the goop. Acatone will do it too, be care of the paint though as it will take that too.
cheers
blaze

rowanda
03-10-2007, 10:26 PM
fantastic, must say I knew I'd get a quick easy response on here
great site!!!
thanks

PinHead
04-10-2007, 03:38 AM
easiest and cheapest way..hair dryer then eucalyptus oil...no risk of damaging paint or anything else..removes all the gum.

Fisher4life
04-10-2007, 02:11 PM
never tried eucalyptus oil, but when i was working at a panel beating store, we'd heat it up (hair dryer will do or in the sun) peel the sticker off or carefully use a 1 sided razor and scrape it off. Then to get the glue off, same thing heat it up and use wax and grease remover (be generous) and it will lift the glue off, sometimes it may have to be scraped with the razor also.

tunaticer
04-10-2007, 06:54 PM
If the stickers are not damaged and look ok you could mask them up and paint the cowling then remove the masking tape. Saves on buying new stickers.

Jack.

Getout
04-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Jack, that would look crap8-)

Seahorse
04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
rowan,
u can clear over stickers. are u using 2 pac paint? if so u can put couple of dust coats over them. i do mean dust coats only. to heavy will fry vinyl

snelly1971
04-10-2007, 10:10 PM
easiest and cheapest way..hair dryer then eucalyptus oil...no risk of damaging paint or anything else..removes all the gum.

I will second that..works a treat...

Mick

plaztix
05-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Heat gun and citrus cleaner (as blaze said)

Try to avoid it but If you need to scrape the remaining glue off, only use something softer than the cowling. Definately not a steel blade, a piece of acrylic/perspex with a square edge works a treat. Any sign shop would have a small scrap they could give you.

wags on the water
05-10-2007, 12:51 PM

DoubleD eucalyptus oil (that's what I've used) removes all the glue.