PDA

View Full Version : Briad or Mono to Cast with Saltist 30H

Splash
03-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Shoudl I use briad or mono to cast from the 30H saltist?

Boat fishing only - palegaics.

SPlash

BenatCoffs
04-10-2007, 01:59 AM
What are you casting? I lob live baits with 50lb fins with my 40h on a trolling rod for kings, getting about 15m or so which is enough to keep the boat out of trouble...

Splash
04-10-2007, 07:06 AM
great - your thoughts on castability and retreive rate?

Is the 30h still ok for the work I want to (cast off boat and bottom bash only) or is the 40h the way to go?

Splash

mattooty
04-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Unless you're competant with an o/h id be going for mono. And for what you're talking about using htem for, 10kg mono would kill the macks.
But if you are a competant user id be heading towards the 30lb finns or the like.

BenatCoffs
05-10-2007, 12:53 AM
For casting a lot I would go the smaller spooled reel, just to get the reduced startup inertia that gives = easier casting...

I chose the 40H as where I fish (Coffs Harbour) you can never be certain what is going to take the bait, a small black marlin was taken this year where I troll for kings - so I wanted the extra line capacity the bigger reel gives.

Ultimately though, the reel was designed to cast, as it has the brake blocks inside to slow the spool from overruns. If I had a better rod (one is in the pipeline) for casting then maybe I would cast more often with it. Currently I use a 15kg Pflueger Contender 6' trolling rod, which just isn't up to casting, lobbing yes, casting no.

Fishing for macks - you hook a 30kg spaniard and it is going to take a lot of time and line to subdue on 10kg staying in comfortable drag limits... Totally doable though!

I'd try and borrow one with braid spooled to test cast first if you can as some people just can't cast braid on an overhead ( I am one of these, despite 20+ years experience casting baitcasters/overheads the whole braid thing escapes me!)

Splash
05-10-2007, 04:41 AM
Good input - thanks.

What is an ideal casting rod for the 30h off the boat?

Splash

BenatCoffs
09-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Depends on what you are fishing for, line class etc...

I use a Shimano Backbone Elite 7' boat rod with an ABU7000 that is extremely effective for casting, bottom bouncing, lobbing livies, ballooning, floatlining etc etc etc this is a 10kg set up.

I will be building myself a Rainshadow RCLB70M which is a 7' 20-50lb rated blank but has a soft enough tip to allow casting, this will be my kingfish weapon and hopefully will be able to cast some big poppers too. This will be for the Saltist.

You also asked about retrieve rate, Super fast!

Splash
09-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Thansk BenatCoffs. Great for the ABU!

Do u think the live fibre 7' rod woudl be OK to cast with the Saltist 30H on braid?

Splash

BenatCoffs
10-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Again, depends on the Live Fibre model, there are a few different 7' rods out there.

Just going off the specs, I would look at
RLF9 - 8-15kg
RLF19 - 15-24kg
RLFCM10 - 10-24kg

In the Live Fibre series. Personally I don't really like live fibre rods as I find them to be very sloppy, little stiffness - I guess that comes from many years of graphite rod use. But then, the live fibres are supposed to be a graphite/glass composite.... A 7' 15kg rod would be great for casting metals, poppers etc for northern pelagics. I might actually have a look at the RLF19 just to 'see' if it would be better/easier than building.... Catching fish on homebuilt rods is pretty good though!

Edit: Live Fibre rods are a lot of money for what you get, I personally believe there are some far nicer, better value for the money sticks out there. I understand you are somewhat remote and therefore unable to handle a lot of rods - I am fortunate as Fishing Tackle Australia is a 5 minute drive away for me and so I can touch pretty much anything that is available before making a choice...

You might wish to have a look at the Daiwa Saltist B7020C which is an overhead 7' 15-30lb rated rod and is $199 at FTA (The RLF19 is $209)

Splash
10-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Many thanks.

You r thoughts on the Shimano Big Mack Rod?

SPlsh

BenatCoffs
11-10-2007, 09:07 AM
King Mack OH would also do the job. $329 though... 2 piece which is handy for aircraft.

BenatCoffs
11-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I went to FTA with the saltist (a little for you a little for me as I need a rod)

I had a look at a Live Fibre that was a ZWS80XJ blank, 15-24kg made up in a spinning configuration - so light and soft, hard to believe it is rated to 24kg, but that is what they say.

Also had a look at the Saltist 8020 rod and the 7020. I am torn between these two, the 8' version is very very nice, has a nice bit of whip to the tip and some extra length for casting, the 7' not a casting rod as much, would take a bit more weight to load. The 8' rod has a trigger grip, the 7' doesn't. The 8' rear grip length is definately aimed at casting.

I didn't like the King Mack rod, no softness in the tip to cast with.

I am pretty sure I will get the 8' saltist now, it may be a little long for livebaiting in the boat with, but if Daiwa OK it for 10kg of drag (I am going to email them) then I think as a general allrounder it would be a great stick - livebaiting from boat and rocks, and also for casting poppers I think it will be great...

I went to BCF this arvo and they had the RLF19 rod (ZWS70XJ Blank) the rod was nice, a fair bit stiffer than the 8' version but had a quite short butt section so not really a casting rod. All guides were heavy boat style too which isn't conducive to casting.

The blank I am looking at will be around $110, another $100 for components - I think that considering I won't be saving a considerable amount I will be looking at a factory rod...

Splash
11-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Great post BenatCoffs - looks the goods. You have the luxury of walkin ginto a store and feel these rods. I am about 2000k form nearest tackle shop.. :-(

ANyway, I need to rely on people liek yourself to guide me along so i can simply order online.

What line class is the 8020 rated at please?

What are the guides liek on the 8020?

Do u think the 30H is ideal for the 8020 and at what line to use?

SPlsh

Splash
11-10-2007, 07:45 PM
I went to FTA with the saltist (a little for you a little for me as I need a rod)

I had a look at a Live Fibre that was a ZWS80XJ blank, 15-24kg made up in a spinning configuration - so light and soft, hard to believe it is rated to 24kg, but that is what they say.

Also had a look at the Saltist 8020 rod and the 7020. I am torn between these two, the 8' version is very very nice, has a nice bit of whip to the tip and some extra length for casting, the 7' not a casting rod as much, would take a bit more weight to load. The 8' rod has a trigger grip, the 7' doesn't. The 8' rear grip length is definately aimed at casting.

I didn't like the King Mack rod, no softness in the tip to cast with.

I am pretty sure I will get the 8' saltist now, it may be a little long for livebaiting in the boat with, but if Daiwa OK it for 10kg of drag (I am going to email them) then I think as a general allrounder it would be a great stick - livebaiting from boat and rocks, and also for casting poppers I think it will be great...

I went to BCF this arvo and they had the RLF19 rod (ZWS70XJ Blank) the rod was nice, a fair bit stiffer than the 8' version but had a quite short butt section so not really a casting rod. All guides were heavy boat style too which isn't conducive to casting.

The blank I am looking at will be around $110, another $100 for components - I think that considering I won't be saving a considerable amount I will be looking at a factory rod...

Ben - where can i get this saltist 8020 in Australia - have looked on line without luck.

SPlash

BenatCoffs
11-10-2007, 09:51 PM
This probably won't work

http://www.########.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=2718

Splash
11-10-2007, 10:00 PM
can u pm me on that link?

the baker
12-10-2007, 08:09 PM
I have a few Live Fibers and they can be a bit tipy but if you under rate them e.g 10-15kg rod don't go heavier than 10 kg line they are much better.

Dave.