PDA

View Full Version : what would be the best stuff to use to do this ?

ashh
03-10-2007, 08:20 PM
maybe someone here has used something like what I need, or if not maybe someone can recommend something.
I want to put some sort of grippy pad stuff on the bow of my tinny. Getting onto the bow then stepping over the windscreen is the way I get in and out so one purpose is to make it a slip free surface.
Second purpose is, it needs to be black in colour so at night when my spottys are on I dont get any reflection off the bow. The boats painted white so I get a fair bit of glare ATM. I will cover the entire bow section in front of the windscreen with this stuff and will glue it down with contact adhesive....is there some sort of rubber matt that will be ok for this? preferably something that wont get deteriorated by UV.....any suggestions? :-/ TIA

Luc
03-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Have a look in Clarks Rubber.

They sell rubber matting for ute trays.

Luc

tunaticer
03-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I am wondering if it would be easier to respray the white areas??

There is a nonslip bubbly sort of paint that is available these days. It resembles the paint used on stencilled driveways. At least with the respray you will not have to deal with rubber peeling or covering everything with something to get rid of the glare.

Jack.

Dan5
03-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Get some international deck paint (with garnet) and get it tinted black and paint it on it lasts for ages and is reasonably cheap and looks profesional.Dan.........

Greg P
03-10-2007, 10:14 PM
3M have a product we use for non skid surfaces on our drills

ashh
03-10-2007, 11:03 PM
painted would look heaps better, will look into that for sure. thanks

ColacGirl
03-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi Ash,
Look around the marine shops for Non-Skid Grip Tape.

--
Bev

finga
04-10-2007, 06:03 AM
The truck shops have that non slip tape as well and check ebay.
:)

krazyfisher
04-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Grip tape works well but get the good one with glass

PADDLES
04-10-2007, 07:09 AM
g'day ash, when i had my tinny i just used marine carpet glued to the top of the bow. the aluminium used to get a bit hot on the old tootsies because i used it as a casting platform and the carpet did the trick. heaps cheaper than the good 3m grip tape anyway.

Fisher4life
04-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Up north here, alot of people tend to just stick marine carpet down with contact glue on their bow.

No painting problems then, also not slippery or hot and no glare

Blackened
04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
G'day

You can get some 2pac paint, brush it on with sand through it.

Go and buy a sheet of grip tape like mentioned, cut it to fit and stick it on,

Or do what I did, a piece of marine carpet to fit. Perfect alternative and easiest.

Dave

QuinnyDory
04-10-2007, 04:20 PM
HI,
I used some non-skid tape I found at BCF. Around 5cm wide in around 3m lengths and cheap (<$5 from memory). Its been on for around 6 months and doesnt show any signs of moving yet. I cleaned the surface with metho before applying.

ashh
04-10-2007, 05:22 PM
not too worried about it getting hot as I only stand on the bow breifly...its not used as a casting platform or anything, carpets good idea but a pr!ck to keep clean. I think I will go the paint on way with something....cant believe I didnt think of that, we used to make our own skimboards and used sand sprinkled on wet laquer (sp?) to seal and make the board grippy....
thanks for the suggestions, was a great help :)

Braddles
07-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Also deck tread from Good time surf shop at woolloongabba is what I used... the deck tread mats sold for use on skate boards... Comes in 30cm x 50cm sheets - black and designed for harsh ware and tear with fantastic grip... Pre-glued too!