PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a tender behind boat at speed?

fender22
03-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi, I have a 19' boat which I am considering buying a tender for. I don't really have room to store it on board, unless it was an inflatable which I would prefer not to get. I know slow old cruisers tow tenders behind them but I have a 135hp motor? WOuld it be ok? Thanks in advance, Craig

fishingrod
03-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Depends what size and material tender etc etc.

Ive towed those nylex/poly 10 foot'ish tenders behind many 15-19 feet boats with 60-135hp without problem. You can do 15-20 knots " if its calm and u get the tow length etc set up right. You obviously need to be conscious its there and alter your driving style accordingly. They only give minimal drag.

cheers, Rod

freefish
04-10-2007, 12:00 AM
If I remember correctly rig on a sliding bridle from each corner of the stern so that the tender runs dead center of the wake. Fix tow point as low as possible on the tender to tow bow up. Adjust length so that tender rides just behind or on wave from motor. Best to take outboard off & tie securely in bilge of tender to minimise drag & combat flipping. Don't stop suddenly. Rarely used it myself as most of my larger boats were sail. Bill