PDA

View Full Version : hitting a sand bar

Wahoo
03-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi all
took the boat out for a few days and for the first time i managed to hit a sand bar with the boat::)
took a bit of paint off the skeg, should i have the impaller checked out or even replaced?

thanks

Daz

Dan5
03-10-2007, 07:25 PM
NO jeez mate you just "christened"it if mecs are so tuff you should'nt even worry!!Dan......

aussiebasser
03-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Hand up all those who haven't hit a sand bar!!!

As long as she's still pumpin' water out she'll be OK mate. What motor is it???

manchild
03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Give it a good double flush .If you havent noticed any changes in tailwater from the motor than thats it.Of course your mechanic most likely to fit a new impeller and cut you for it.
George
welcome to the club,was it really your first time?wow

snelly1971
03-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi all
took the boat out for a few days and for the first time i managed to hit a sand bar with the boat::)
took a bit of paint off the skeg, should i have the impaller checked out or even replaced?

thanks

Daz

Hi Daz..we used to do it daily when working at the fish farms...we had to cut across a sand bar to stay out of the slop....and we never had any problems...even when it came time to replace the impella there little or no signs of sand...

Mick

Blackened
03-10-2007, 08:10 PM
G'day

no worries there, just make sure that the telltale is still pumping well.

Good luck with it and there will be MANY more sandbanks to come!

Dave

just_cruisin
03-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Daz,
Wasn't out the front of moon creek was it? ::)
She will be fine mate, your verado will let you know if it is in trouble.
Do you have the SC5000 (being the little computer screen)? if so, scroll thru the propolsion section (i think thats what it is is called) and you should be able to find the little gauge denoting the water pressure, this is monitored by the computer or though for your own piece of mind, you can check yourself.
Trust me, if something is wrong or going to go wrong these smart son of bitches will let you know with a little beep.

So did you get to drop a line or what?

Crooked
03-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Mate,
Welcome to the club, I hit them all the time. When you check the telltale, if it is not pumping, make sure you try to unblock it with a bit of wire or similar first. This usually fixes any distrupted stream, it's better than paying a mechanic to tell you the same thing.

cheers, Evan

ozscott
03-10-2007, 08:43 PM
...hehehe! When I was learning to negotiate the Pin area of Southern Moreton, I reckon I spent about the same amount of time out pushing than on the plane...I was always kicking about on sandbars. My impellors seemed to be fine afterwards. I reckon it might knock some life off them, but if you give them a nice run afterwards it shouldnt be a drama. If she is pumping with proper pressure she should be fine mate.

Wahoo
03-10-2007, 09:01 PM
thanks for all the advice fellas ;)

George, yes thats the first time, most of the ramps i use are fairly easy to use and get out

Liam, no this was heading out to Russell Heads, fishing was great

after i had to wait for the run in tied and push the boat off, i had another 5min run to the ramp telltail was working no probs

thanks again

Daz

fez
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Daz,

You hit the one on the left heading back upstream near the paddock just before the houses didn't you!!!!!!!! Two things I did to learn the best track out of the river was waiting until dead low then slowly motor out to the mouth or follow the Franklin Is tour boat back one day.

Failing that go see Dave at Quay Marine he will set you straight.

Fez

Wahoo
04-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Daz,

You hit the one on the left heading back upstream near the paddock just before the houses didn't you!!!!!!!! Two things I did to learn the best track out of the river was waiting until dead low then slowly motor out to the mouth or follow the Franklin Is tour boat back one day.

Failing that go see Dave at Quay Marine he will set you straight.

Fez

LOL Fez sounds like you know the area well, thats the one mate, i sure know now thou

Daz

Tangles
04-10-2007, 08:00 PM
i joined the 'club' within my first 50 metres;D

Wahoo
04-10-2007, 08:06 PM
i joined the 'club' within my first 50 metres;D

LOL that would be enough to really piss me off:P

Daz

horitira
04-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Gidday fellas

I hit the sandbar last week opposite the ramp at Rileys Hill.
When i got home i was telling the neighbour and he said that the channel marker had been swept downstream in the last flood over a year ago.
He didnt ring anyone coz he thought some-one else must of, so i rang maritime and there going to look into it.

Tangles
04-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Daz, true story, but it didnt worry me too much, being a tinnie figured i got over the new boat syndrome in the first 2 mins/50 mtres, and i learnt real quick where it was really shallow,

frank100
04-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Wahoo,
See "Beans" at the boat yard (Mulgrave Marina") he has a hand out map which gives some navigation points so that you stay off the sand bars. Do'nt follow the Franklin Islander, I have seen him stuck fast twice and also seen it doing a bit of dregding.

Frank