PDA

View Full Version : A question about spiral or acid wraps if I may??

finga
03-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Gidday all you brainiacs,
I'm playing with a spiral wrap on another experiment and got the rotation bit down pat but was wondering about guide spacing.
Do I just set out the guides as per normal guide placement and then move the few that need moving around or do I bung more guides in??
I just did the normal spacings worked out with the good old static method and then moved the guides as such
1st guide -6 degrees
2nd guide 60 degrees
3rd guide 120 degrees and
4th,5th, 6th and seventh 180 degrees

Is this okky dokky??
It's on a 6-10 kg stick

I'm amased just how much more stability there is in a spiral wrap over a normal overhead configuration.
Thanks then
Scott :)

DR
03-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi Scott, have never bothered to do one myself, but i googled, spiral wraps, acid wraps & roberts wraps with fishing rods as well in the line. heaps of stuff out there. also to get the US perspective go to rodbuilding.org & ask same question..

sandyd
03-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Gidday all you brainiacs,
I'm playing with a spiral wrap on another experiment and got the rotation bit down pat but was wondering about guide spacing.
Do I just set out the guides as per normal guide placement and then move the few that need moving around or do I bung more guides in??
I just did the normal spacings worked out with the good old static method and then moved the guides as such
1st guide -6 degrees
2nd guide 60 degrees
3rd guide 120 degrees and
4th,5th, 6th and seventh 180 degrees

Is this okky dokky??
It's on a 6-10 kg stick

I'm amased just how much more stability there is in a spiral wrap over a normal overhead configuration.
Thanks then
Scott :)

Hi Scott

I am replying as the personal sexatary of mr Owen Dare.

do a quick search on simple spirl wraps.

This is how he did his and it casts really well. It is set up as a normal casting rod then flick all guides except the first one 180 degrees and add a small bumper guild between the stripped guide and the second guide.

Gee hope this makes sense to you.

finga
03-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Scott, have never bothered to do one myself, but i googled, spiral wraps, acid wraps & roberts wraps with fishing rods as well in the line. heaps of stuff out there. also to get the US perspective go to rodbuilding.org & ask same question..
Yeah Dave I should have done that before this but I'm a lazy slug in reality. :-[
I'll have a good sleep tonight and go surfing tomorrow. :)
I'm following the Forhan or "revolver' principle.
I should also add what I'm referring to as the first guide is the one closest to the reel not tip.
You should try one...I reckon they're pretty good but time will tell :D

finga
03-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi Scott

I am replying as the personal sexatary of mr Owen Dare.

do a quick search on simple spirl wraps.

This is how he did his and it casts really well. It is set up as a normal casting rod then flick all guides except the first one 180 degrees and add a small bumper guild between the stripped guide and the second guide.

Gee hope this makes sense to you.
Gees your versatile young lady Sandy...you can do everything ;D
I was going to do that and have seen it done that way on lighter rods but being a heavier type I thought I'd try other ways.
I have enough guides to do both ways funnily enough, so I can try bothays.
How is the old boy anyways??
I'm doing this to try and reduce the torsional stresses I experience on the bigger out side rods.
Thanks all for the input thus far ;D

Owen
03-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm doing this to try and reduce the torsional stresses I experience on the bigger out side rods.

Don't you have to catch a fish to experience "torsional stresses" ::)

I reckon they'd all work. I just reckon that the more guides that are actually bearing load at the 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock position of the guide the better.

I think all the arguments about weight savings are moot. Who's going to feel the weight of one more or less guide in the lower half of the rod?
It'll contribute bugger all to the inertia down there.

As for casting distance, then I guess you have to decide how far you NEED to cast with it?

sandyd
05-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Gees your versatile young lady Sandy...you can do everything ;D
I was going to do that and have seen it done that way on lighter rods but being a heavier type I thought I'd try other ways.
I have enough guides to do both ways funnily enough, so I can try bothays.
How is the old boy anyways??
Thanks all for the input thus far ;D

Jack of all and master of none.

I plan to finally finish my rod when we go to agnes waters. :-)

Also have an order for bits and pieces written out as long as my arm and it is taking me 6 months to save and then I keep adding. Who has the bug!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think we both need help.