PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank woes

mjbpjk
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Guys,

Im having issues with fuel splashing out of my breather hose in the 50l plastic fuel tank i just installed in my front casting platfom.

When towing and backing down the ramp fuel goes everywhere.

I dont want to drill holes in the side of the boat to fit those franknstine looking breathers.

what other options do i have?

also ive read that filling a plastic tank in the boat is dangerous. What do people do about earthing a plastic tank and refueling them?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Luc
03-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Try turning the tank so the filler & breather are on the bow side.

That way, anytime you back down / tow, that part of the tank is higher.

I have my tank in a similar location and the filler/breather is on the highest side.

PS. on the trailer, my boat has a slightly "nose up" attitude.

Luc

mjbpjk
03-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks Luc,

The only issue with doing that is the fuel pick up is right at the rear of the tank. If i turn the tank around i think ill have a heap of fuel that ill never be able to use as it will all run to the lowest point.

cheers Pete

Spaniard_King
03-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Get a longer breather hose, runit out the side and up the rib to the front put a couple of loops in the hose at the end and fasten it somehow up near the nose of the boat. The breather is normally fitted to stop foreign material entering the breather hose if you can almost eliminate that from happrning there is no need to fit the breather end.. up under the front gunnel I cant see you getting any rain or spray in there either :D

tunaticer
03-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Garry, only problem with that is cold period fumes will sink right to the bottom of the hull and remain there introducing a dangerous vapour situation.

Down at stanthorpe mid winter several yrs ago i accidently knocked over a jerry can and it leaked out about half a litre of fuel. I stood the can back up and didnt think anything more of it thinking the fuel would simply be soaked into the ground and therefore relatively safe. About half an hour later we were standing in a ring around the campfire as the sun was rising and noticed a ground level fog a inch or two deep traveling downhill towards the fire. Looked back up the thin river of fog and it led straight towards the jerry can i had knocked over. I ran to the jerry can and moved it about 20 feet away. A minute later the mist caught fire and the entire lot went up very quickly.

I would definitely be venting the tank to outside.

Jack.

Luc
03-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Pete,

How difficult would it be to extend the fuel pickup?

Luc

Spaniard_King
03-10-2007, 07:20 PM
well run the hose to the a$$ end and put a breather out the back somewhere

finga
03-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Garry, only problem with that is cold period fumes will sink right to the bottom of the hull and remain there introducing a dangerous vapour situation.

Down at stanthorpe mid winter several yrs ago i accidently knocked over a jerry can and it leaked out about half a litre of fuel. I stood the can back up and didnt think anything more of it thinking the fuel would simply be soaked into the ground and therefore relatively safe. About half an hour later we were standing in a ring around the campfire as the sun was rising and noticed a ground level fog a inch or two deep traveling downhill towards the fire. Looked back up the thin river of fog and it led straight towards the jerry can i had knocked over. I ran to the jerry can and moved it about 20 feet away. A minute later the mist caught fire and the entire lot went up very quickly.

I would definitely be venting the tank to outside.

Jack.
Can't be any worse then where the breather is under the floor could it.
You could run it down the back with the fuel line and up in under the cowl.
That'll hide the breather and be protected.

mjbpjk
03-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Luc,

I dont think it would be to hard but ill try relocating the breather first :-/

cheers pete

mjbpjk
03-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Would running the breather hose up to the front be any good if I then put a breather in this front panel.
I guess this would lift the height of the hose about 300mm.

What are your thoughts?
Is this a safe compromise?

cheers pete

PADDLES
04-10-2007, 07:15 AM
don't install the breather anywhere on the inside of the boat pete, or even where the vapour could come inside, vent it to the outside of the hull. it'll be heaps safer. it only takes one spark with fuel vapour mate and it could come from anywhere.

tunaticer
05-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I was surprised two or three months ago out on scarby reef one westerly morning to get a good boot of static electricity in the boat. I had been standing on the carpeted floor for about 40 mins without touching anything then reached for something and got a boot. I'm putting it down to static from westerly winds and carpet and workboots. Never heard of static on the water before but it does exist.

Thankfully htere was no fuel fumes around that morning.

Jack.

FISHOLOT
06-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Check your PM's mjbpjk

ozbee
07-10-2007, 04:20 PM
get over it drill a hole and vent it properly out the side or back other wise they might be drilling a six foot hole in the ground for you if there lucky to find enough bits of you left. get the drift

mjbpjk
07-10-2007, 08:00 PM
get over it drill a hole and vent it properly out the side or back other wise they might be drilling a six foot hole in the ground for you if there lucky to find enough bits of you left. get the drift

Thanks for that to the point post. :o

Dont worry its going to get done before i venture out again and just to be safe the platform lid is removed to vent the vapor.

Cheers Pete