PDA

View Full Version : smell in freezer

bundy06
02-10-2007, 10:58 PM
giday,
just wondering if anyone has a good way of keeping a freezer free of bait smells?
My wife keeps our bait in ziplock bags but we still get the dreaded smell
Cheers, Dave

wags on the water
02-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Vanilla spray works for the fridge, so I can't see why it wouldn't work for the freezer.

Cheers
Wags

artesian
02-10-2007, 11:05 PM
tried two solutions.

First was to fish lures exclusively

Second was to give up, and acquire a crappy looking fridge freezer, drinks in the fridge, bait in the freezer, both in the laundry.

Running a second fridge costs a bit over a year, so need to find better solutions now I have been shown how to drift pillies for snapper.

I reckon the vac seal systems would work, but the bags cost a bit. Freezing in brine, perhaps in the zippy bags or plastic containers would also probably work?

avagowal
03-10-2007, 08:37 AM
gday ....i put a cup of sodium bi-carbonate in my fridges works well absorbs odours when i spill a bit of beer (nooooo) in my homebrew fridge dont know how it would go in a freezer should be ok worth a try

PinHead
03-10-2007, 10:09 AM
vanilla essence

fisher28
05-10-2007, 08:53 AM
we used to keep bait in an old freezer,when i got over the smell we decided to sell the freezer.we left a bowl of vanilla essence in the bottom for a couple of days and it was fine,dont know how it will work when frozen though its worth a try.

Brett1907
05-10-2007, 10:31 AM
I bought an extra fridge and freezer. 432Ltr fridge for beer/wine/vodka thingies for the nightwatchman. 382Ltr freezer for extra meat/chicken/food and bait.

Brett

Whitto
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Bi-Carb soda and Vanilla will do the trick, once you have acchieved that don't completely close the lid or door, Cheers Whitto

Muck-Pie
06-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Funny enough I just use newspaper scrunched up into balls to control smells and leaks.

I once had a "bait escape" ... where some prawns decided to liberate themselves from there allocated bags and get frozen to the bottom of the freezer. As you can imagine 6 months of fish smells even after several cleans with vinegar, vanilla essence, bicarb and only a slight change in the overall improvement. Then someone said try newspapers .... and it worked for me.

From what I can figure is that the newspaper is really dry so it absorbs moisture from the air in the freezer and has a bit of an ink smell itself which was better than the bait's. As the modern fridge/freezers cycle to prevent ice forming there can still be a lot of moisture in the air and the paper absorbs this moisture as well as the smell in the air. Just replace it when the paper does not feel crisp ... this way you can use the fishing section of the newspaper twice :P

jtpython
06-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Like a couple of posts up i bought a bait freezer for the shed for my ice bottle's and bait then a mate gave me a bigger one and that became for ice and my bait freezer stayed for bait and the frames for crabpots
Cheers
jt