PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying 1st boat

Bilopete
02-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi everyone!

Firstly my 1st post is going to be full of questions 'cause I don't know where to get accurate answers!

I am looking for my 1st ever boat and have a budget of $4K. My family consists of 2 adults, 6yo, 3yo and a baby. Keen to fish offshore at Yeppoon, gladstone and rivers around Boyne Island etc

Most boats around this price in the CQ district seem to 3.9-4.2m (approx 10-30years old) with 20-35hp engines with similar span of age.

Looking at the latest Quintrex boat catalogue I could get a 395 dart package for $6K +delivery charges so the 2nd hand boats are overpriced as far as I am concerned.

So my questions are:

1. What should I expect to be able to find for the $4k mark?
2. Are children considered equivalent to 1/2 adult when determining no. of persons the boat can carry?
3. Would 3.9m be suitable enough for my intended use? If not, what would you recommend?
4. When do motors become too old? I.e. Are 1980-1990 models in the 20-35hp range to old to consider?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :'(

joeT
02-10-2007, 09:02 PM
So my questions are:

1. What should I expect to be able to find for the $4k mark?
2. Are children considered equivalent to 1/2 adult when determining no. of persons the boat can carry?
3. Would 3.9m be suitable enough for my intended use? If not, what would you recommend?
4. When do motors become too old? I.e. Are 1980-1990 models in the 20-35hp range to old to consider?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :'(

1. $4k ain't much for a boat. Don't forget that on top of the initial purchase price, there are a lot of other costs like insurance (if you choose to take insurance), rego, fuel, safety gear, maintenance, repairs, etc. It all adds up very quick. You will need to really shop around to get something good for $4k.

2. Children are considered 1/2 an adult, however, you should keep in mind that the maximum a boat is rated to carry may not be suitable for all conditions. Those maximum ratings are for smooth water in good conditions.

3. If you're taking the family, safety should be number one. And I would be looking to get as big a boat as I can. I would be looking for something like a 4.1 with a 25-30hp for your budget. There is a big difference between a 3.9 and 4.1. Just the beam makes it a much bigger boat. I'm not really familiar with your area and not sure what you mean by 'offshore', but you'll be limited to going out in only ideal conditions in any boat within your budget.

4. I would be looking at condition rather than age with any motor, although personally I wouldn't be looking at anything pre 1990 unless it was in really good nick.

Tailortaker
02-10-2007, 09:12 PM
G'day bilopete, I picked up a 1995 3.9 mt quintrex with a 2000 model 25hp johnson, false carpeted floor, casting deck, lowrance sounder, for nearly half your budget, after renewing safety gear and addin extras to suit (pfd's,flares,v sheet, swivel seat, bimini, rod holders) it cost about 3k, it''s proved to be a good reliable boat so I'm sure you'll find something decent. My only concern would be taking he kids "offshore"in a boat that size. My son (5yr old) only comes out with me in the shelter of the pumicestone passage. so maybe a bigger boat would suit you.
TT
________
Ebony Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/ebony-girls/)

Bilopete
02-10-2007, 09:28 PM
1. $4k ain't much for a boat. Don't forget that on top of the initial purchase price, there are a lot of other costs like insurance (if you choose to take insurance), rego, fuel, safety gear, maintenance, repairs, etc. It all adds up very quick. You will need to really shop around to get something good for $4k.

Yes I know $4k isn't much and I hoping to get a complete package as well! Most 2nd hand boats come with basic safety gear and balance of rego.

2. Children are considered 1/2 an adult, however, you should keep in mind that the maximum a boat is rated to carry may not be suitable for all conditions. Those maximum ratings are for smooth water in good conditions.

Thanks for clearing that up.

3. If you're taking the family, safety should be number one. And I would be looking to get as big a boat as I can. I would be looking for something like a 4.1 with a 25-30hp for your budget. There is a big difference between a 3.9 and 4.1. Just the beam makes it a much bigger boat. I'm not really familiar with your area and not sure what you mean by 'offshore', but you'll be limited to going out in only ideal conditions in any boat within your budget.

Yes, that was the type of package I was looking at. Offshore to me is semi=protected waters e.g. out to Great Keppel on a good day! 4.1 m is my preference and 4.3 would be much better but I doubt for the price I would find much in the 2nd hand market.

4. I would be looking at condition rather than age with any motor, although personally I wouldn't be looking at anything pre 1990 unless it was in really good nick.

Yea I agree and thanks for the advice.

Bilopete
02-10-2007, 09:31 PM
G'day bilopete, I picked up a 1995 3.9 mt quintrex with a 2000 model 25hp johnson, false carpeted floor, casting deck, lowrance sounder, for nearly half your budget, after renewing safety gear and addin extras to suit (pfd's,flares,v sheet, swivel seat, bimini, rod holders) it cost about 3k, it''s proved to be a good reliable boat so I'm sure you'll find something decent. My only concern would be taking he kids "offshore"in a boat that size. My son (5yr old) only comes out with me in the shelter of the pumicestone passage. so maybe a bigger boat would suit you.
TT

Thanks for responding. Yes there are deals out there its just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. What you have sound suited to my needs, only a 4.1 would be better! How did you come across this one? I check the trading post and local classifieds daily.

Tailortaker
02-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for responding. Yes there are deals out there its just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. What you have sound suited to my needs, only a 4.1 would be better! How did you come across this one? I check the trading post and local classifieds daily.
AUSFISH!!!;D I posted in the "wanted section" what I was after and had a few offers from members. I was about to buy a less boat for more money until I saw this one. Keep an eye on the for sale section here. I know that location makes a difference but I'm sure the right boat will come your way.
Cheers TT
________
Vaporizer Volcano (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

joeT
02-10-2007, 10:10 PM
I agree, forums are a great source. I sold my 4.1 brooker on here a year or so ago probably too cheap. I also bought my current stabi from another forum.

Dr_Dan
03-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Hunt around, the right one will come along. I got a 4.1 savage little runabout, only had 25hp on it, but was in damn good nick when i was still in school. Got me everywhere i wanted to go, inshore islands, creeks, rivers etc.

Don't rush into getting the first one you see. Make sure you get someone who knows a little about boats to check it out for you first, or else you may end up getting somethign that will cost you a hell of a lot more in the long run.

In that size boat, would only be having the family inshore/offshore in the calmest of weather. Might be worth forgetting the islands etc and just foccusing on the creeks, will get a much better boat for this if you are forgetting about worrying about going offshore at all. shoudl be plenty of tinny's around that way but would probably not be the best with couple of adults and kids heading offshore at all, especially if you are just new to boating.