PDA

View Full Version : need help with Windows DVD maker

block
02-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi All
I have just started making my own fishing dvds. I put them togeather with Windows Movie Maker witch I found easy to use, then when I go to burn them it uses Windows DVD Maker. The first DVD I made was 30mins and all went good but when I made one that went for 60mins the Windows DVD Maker took over 80mins only to come up with a failure, this I tryed 6 times. I then cut the movie in half and put it on 2 disc, not a problem. The movie I was hoping to make into a DVD was 1.7gb so it should fit on a 4.7gb disc. 3 brands of disc were used.
Can anyone help me out with this one? I also have Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 on my new laptop but am yet to teach my self how to use it!
Regards
Dwane

Sean
02-10-2007, 07:18 PM
http://www.techguy.org/
Try here....they are the hardcores of the net!!

jman2016
02-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi All
I have just started making my own fishing dvds...
Regards
Dwane

Hi,

Try http://www.videohelp.com/tools. I find this site really helpful. Are you using Vista? Try Googling Windows DVD maker troubleshooting. How about the Microsoft site. What was the error? Try googling the error message.

What are your computer specs? Happy to assist if needed I work in IT.

Heath
02-10-2007, 09:17 PM
The movie you are trying to make is too big. Just because the AVI file is 1.7Gig doesn't mean that when converted to DVD format it will fit onto a 4.7G disk.

2 Options -
1. Re-edit so your avi file is smaller and when converted will fit on the disk.
2. Re-encode the avi file. This results in a poorer quality vision, but also results in a smaller file size which will fit onto your DVD.

My guess is if you see what size the files are on your 2 disks, they'll add up to be more than 4.7gig.

block
03-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks to Heath, jaman2016, Sean

When I had a look at the properties of the 2 disc, part 1 was 1.26 GB and part 2 was 1.94 GB that is a total of 3.20 GB. No were near the 1.7 GB of the first take of the full movie but still under the 4.7 GB of the disc I was using!

Would I be better of setting the burn speed from fast to slow?

When the movie was cut in half it still took a long time to encode the first disc but when I burned a second disc it did it in a fraction of the time.

My laptop is a Sony VGN-FZ17G with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7300, 160 GB hard drive, Windows Vista Home Premium, 2 GB of memory.

I had a quick look at the links you gave me and will look at them in more lenght tonight when I got more time.

I did ring Microsoft help line and thay wanted $80 befor thay would give me the info I was after.

Googling Windows DVD maker troubleshooting was some help with making DVD's but did not give me the anser I was looking for.

Regards
Dwane

jman2016
03-10-2007, 07:10 PM
When I had a look at the properties of the 2 disc, part 1 was 1.26 GB and part 2 was 1.94 GB that is a total of 3.20 GB. No were near the 1.7 GB of the first take of the full movie but still under the 4.7 GB of the disc I was using!

Regards
Dwane

I have had a look at the DVD maker site at Microsoft.com. As with all Gatesy products it looks pretty but it doesn't really do the job. Trying to find a setting to change the DVD settings is pointless! Try a slower burning rate. I will have a play and see what I can do.

showusyourcods
08-10-2007, 09:29 PM
hi Dwane
try a high quality DVD-R. the cheaper ones always have errors in my experience as soon as i use a high quality dvd all is good

happy casting

Justin

Sean
09-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks to Heath, jaman2016, Sean

I did ring Microsoft help line and thay wanted $80 befor thay would give me the info I was after.

Regards
Dwane

There's a reason they are so rich!!!!!Bas*****;D