PDA

View Full Version : New Boat possibilities

JRBK
02-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to this website, read it as often as i can due to work & study, but have never posted a new thread, so here goes:

I currently have a 4.6m centre console with a 50hp johnson on it which is great for fishing in the bay, rivers, bribie passage with a couple of mates. Wouldn't take it to Moreton tho. I have 4 kids ranging from 9 down to 1, so the centre console setup is not good for them. I want to start taking them fishing, do family trips, overnighters/long weeknds at places like moreton, straddie, blakesleys etc.

Been looking at different boats, whether to fibreglass, aluminium or plate. Thinking of somewhere in the range of 6-6.5m as it'll need to carry at least 6 people at times. Also look at putting a 4 stroke yamaha or suzuki on the back of. A cabin for sleeping/storage and a toilet (for the missus and the kids) is also a necessity. But also a good offshore fishing rig.

Impressed with the Haines Signature & Cruise Craft Explorer ranges in the glass side, and the Quintrex in the aluminium. With young kids, i wouldn't go brand new.

Cheers

Homerjrb

fez
02-10-2007, 01:44 PM
If you are not looking at going new John Crawford Marine have a pretty good range of 2nd hand boats. I havn't seen too much rubish go through there when I was looking. Wynnum Marine is also pretty good.

Boatpoint is another place to look, as to brands there a soooo many out there now that it is a hard decision.

What sort of budget do you have??????? This will determine how good a deal you get.
Have a look around, find a couple that interest you, wack em up here for the boys to advise on.

Cheers,
Fez.

SgBFish
02-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't know what your budget is or where you are but i'd be looking at something like this one.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2750786

Scott

omulloway
02-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I'd agree with Fez, get along to a few good boatyards and see if you can find something you like and thats practical. You can narrow it down after that, otherwise you'll go insane like the majority of us trying to decide.

Ask yourself some questions, like how often am I really going to have 6 people going out? A boat big enough to carry 6 easy needs decent hp = decent dollars, not to mention simple things like launching and retrieving easy at the boat ramp.

There's a lot of difference in price between say a Quinny 5.5 metre and a glass 6.5 metre, probably 15 - 20k.

Decide whether you want alloy or glass, that will at least narrow the field a bit.

Good luck
Omulloway

Benny01
02-10-2007, 02:34 PM
can i ask what u study as im thinking of doin the work/uni thing and was wanting to hear from someone who does it

mik01
02-10-2007, 02:41 PM
can i ask what u study as im thinking of doin the work/uni thing and was wanting to hear from someone who does it

do you mean study full time and work part time or the other way round?

I work full time and study part time - eats up your spare time like you wouldn't believe! I'm just lucky I don't have kids otherwise I don't know how you would have time to drop the boat into the water! (unless they came with you)

JRBK
02-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Thank for your replies so far.
I've had a look at boatpoint etc, and you're right, trying to decipher brands, plate vs glass in totally racking my brain. I've even set up a comparison table on my computer for the models i like, show the for & againsts.

Benny01 & miko1, i work full time and study externally through university finishing off my bachelor course. I do take my kids out (i have 4 boys) but it can be a nightmare with them in such a confined space with hooks, knives, rods etc.

Vitamin Sea
02-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi

As others have mentioned, can you give an idea of what sort of $$$ you are looking to spend, as that will probably be the most telling factor.

Cheers

Bill

wadeo
02-10-2007, 04:53 PM
gday,with 6 people ya going to need a fair lump of a boat with decent hp. Don't know your budget but i rekon a cat would be a safe option. Excellent soft ride for missus and kids and enough room to properly fit 6 on board comfortably for the day.
regards Wadeo;D

Tassie JR
02-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah i agree with wadeo. you can pick up a decent cat for in the 6 meter range between 40-60 grand and spend another 30 grand on your new twin suzis or yammies down the track. If the moters on it run allright they should do you just fine untill you get a couple of new ones. the hull might be a bit older but you will get a safe comfortable dry ride for the kids.

cheers tassie JR

Vitamin Sea
02-10-2007, 07:17 PM
gday,with 6 people ya going to need a fair lump of a boat with decent hp. Don't know your budget but i rekon a cat would be a safe option. Excellent soft ride for missus and kids and enough room to properly fit 6 on board comfortably for the day.
regards Wadeo;D

Good onya Wadeo, you cat boys' just had to get in, hey;D

Semi valid point though, however, I think a good 19C Haines would offer similar comforts:)

Cheers

Bill

wadeo
03-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Good onya Wadeo, you cat boys' just had to get in, hey;D

Semi valid point though, however, I think a good 19C Haines would offer similar comforts:)

Cheers

Bill
Gday Bill yeah i had to put a cat up on the thought table.;D Hows the fishing been treating ya ? I take six out reef fishing comfortably. Also spend alot of time over at tangalooma wrecks snorkerling in summer. My old cruise craft 18fter could only take up to four fishing and was very crampted with four at tangers. Definetly ruled out overnighters with that many people (sleep on board). I take four for overnighters at tangers on my current rig with 2 in swags on the deck under the stars. I beleive there is a difference between a boat that can handle 6 people safely onboard and a boat that you can squash 6 on board. Some of the larger haines or cruise crafts would be worth a look . For all these boats mentioned you'll need serious dollars to get one though and need a tough tow vehicle
regards Wadeo

mik01
03-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Thank for your replies so far.
I've had a look at boatpoint etc, and you're right, trying to decipher brands, plate vs glass in totally racking my brain. I've even set up a comparison table on my computer for the models i like, show the for & againsts.

Benny01 & miko1, i work full time and study externally through university finishing off my bachelor course. I do take my kids out (i have 4 boys) but it can be a nightmare with them in such a confined space with hooks, knives, rods etc.

4 boys :o

wow - you do need some space!

Vitamin Sea
03-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Gday Bill yeah i had to put a cat up on the thought table.;D Hows the fishing been treating ya ? I take six out reef fishing comfortably. Also spend alot of time over at tangalooma wrecks snorkerling in summer. My old cruise craft 18fter could only take up to four fishing and was very crampted with four at tangers. Definetly ruled out overnighters with that many people (sleep on board). I take four for overnighters at tangers on my current rig with 2 in swags on the deck under the stars. I beleive there is a difference between a boat that can handle 6 people safely onboard and a boat that you can squash 6 on board. Some of the larger haines or cruise crafts would be worth a look . For all these boats mentioned you'll need serious dollars to get one though and need a tough tow vehicle
regards Wadeo

Hi Wadeo

Been getting a few when I've been able to get out, thanks ( see Matt's Banks Snapper ) was priceless to me.

Can't argue with the overnighters, me, the wife and son can sleep in the cabin of the boat, but the wife won't be in it anymore due to the alleged snoring;D

Went for an overnighter at Tanga last Monday with the young fella, love it there.

2 could go out onto the deck of my boat but they would have to be friendly;)

I only like to fish 2 in the boat outside in my tub, anymore and the tangles give me the s&%ts

Have to catch up on the water one day

Cheers

Bill

PS: Sorry Hommerjrb for semi hijack

JRBK
07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Thank you to all who have responded.
I've devised myself a spreadsheet to look at compare the differences between aluminium, plate and glass boats, single hull and cats.
Been advised against cats due to water slapping noise between the 2 hulls, but the stability and space factor may override that. Mate has being a cat so i'll have to go with him to try it out and get his opinion also.
They all have fors and against, glass with stability, aluminium/plate for price, weight, less outboard power size required. Once this is all done, i can then look at costs and work out the budget, and sweet talk the minister for finances.
Hope to see you on the water, and this saturdays M&G at Bribie..
Homerjrb