PDA

View Full Version : 4.15 Seajay Magnum w 30HP 4st - underpowered ??

landyman
01-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey all..

Looking at getting into my first boat...
Been looking at a 4.15 Seajay Magnum with a Honda 30HP 4stroke...

After doing a little searching around here, it appears this combo may be a little underpowered..

Any comments from owners with similar setups.. will most probably only be 2 up fishing but I am a big boy (110 kg)..

joeT
01-10-2007, 10:28 PM
I don't think it would be underpowered at all. I had a Brooker 4.1 with 30hp yamaha and fished with 2 easy, and sometimes with 3.

Of course, a 40hp would be faster and can carry more, but if you usually fish with only 2 up, wouldn't really be necessary.

Hamish73
01-10-2007, 10:29 PM
depends how fast you are happy with.
A friend has a savage 4.2 with a 30 2 stroke and its flat at 21 knots with 3 of us in it, happy cruising all day at 15 knots
The Honda is about 10kg heavier, so it wont be a rocket ship, but OK for fishing as long as you like to enjoy the scenery

landyman
01-10-2007, 10:32 PM
but OK for fishing as long as you like to enjoy the scenery

LOL - no, I dont like "enjoying the scenery" ... I know lots have 2 stroke 30HP's behind their 4-420 tinnies.. just thought the lack of low down grunt and weight may make it a pig...

Luc
02-10-2007, 12:43 AM
If you have the $$ I'd definitely go with the 40hp subject to the max transom weight of 95Kg.

Invariably, you'll appreciate having the extra grunt when needed and at other times, the engine won't be working as hard.

Given the weight of a 40/4stroke plus yourself, weight distribution will be important.

Also, trying different pitched props may be worthwhile to get the best from the engine/boat.

I've got a Seajay 4M BassNBarra and have moved as much weight as possible towards the front. Only the battery sits in the transom area.

Luc

Scott Ashe
02-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Hi Landyman,

I recently purchased a similar setup to the rig your looking at. I went the allycraft 4.10M Rhino with a 25 Yamaha 4 stroke. The 25is the recomended HP for this boat and considering I only weigh 58-60 Kgs, and I only ever have one other person on board (max 75kg) I am happy with this performance.

landyman
02-10-2007, 08:07 AM
If you have the $$ I'd definitely go with the 40hp subject to the max transom weight of 95Kg.

Invariably, you'll appreciate having the extra grunt when needed and at other times, the engine won't be working as hard.

Given the weight of a 40/4stroke plus yourself, weight distribution will be important.

Also, trying different pitched props may be worthwhile to get the best from the engine/boat.

I've got a Seajay 4M BassNBarra and have moved as much weight as possible towards the front. Only the battery sits in the transom area.

Luc

this is a used boat - I definatly dont have the $$ to buy a new 40HP.. 8-)
most of the other boats I have looked at all have 40HP 2 strokes.. maybe I need to do a little more searching on power to weight ratios between 2/4 st.

plaztix
02-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Hey landy,

I've got a 4.15 SP (same hull as the magnum, just got a flat floor side rails etc. bit heavier than the magnum) with a 30 2stroke and although the top speed is a bit less than i would ultimately like (looking for a faster prop at the moment, but only for when i want to get to moreton in a hurry) it is great for your everyday bay and estuary fishing. I have actually had 2 friends who say it goes better than a couple of other similar size boats both with 40's???

Depends on where and what sort of fishing you plan to do i guess.

See if you can take it for a run, at least then you know with out guessing how it goes. If you are seriously interested you would expect the seller to oblige.

landyman
02-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey landy,

I've got a 4.15 SP (same hull as the magnum, just got a flat floor side rails etc. bit heavier than the magnum) with a 30 2stroke and although the top speed is a bit less than i would ultimately like (looking for a faster prop at the moment, but only for when i want to get to moreton in a hurry) it is great for your everyday bay and estuary fishing. I have actually had 2 friends who say it goes better than a couple of other similar size boats both with 40's???

Depends on where and what sort of fishing you plan to do i guess.

See if you can take it for a run, at least then you know with out guessing how it goes. If you are seriously interested you would expect the seller to oblige.

unfortunatly a water test is not possible (fleabay ::) ) - the owner reckons it will pull a skirfer behind...
in all honesty, what it sits at now $$ wise, it is worth every cent and if I decide to buy(bid) I am sure it will suit my needs.. albeit, maybe a little slow.. but the quietness of the 4st definatly appeals to me.. but when it comes to bikes, I love the rasp of the 2stroke :o