PDA

View Full Version : hinze dam fishing permits is it useless ?

jamie martin
01-10-2007, 09:12 AM
is my permit to the hinze dam now useless ? what can i do can any one help ?

Leeann
01-10-2007, 11:47 AM
The dam's still open. Use the ramp on the western arm (turn off a km or so before the Numimbah Environmental centre or use the ramp near the tower.

The western arm is very shallow. Suitable for kayaks, canoes and smaller tinnies. Launching in mud the weekend before last at this ramp but the fish are biting.

Problem with any of the ramps at Hinze is the feral element that occassionally break into cars. But then again, there are ferals everywhere.

jamie martin
01-10-2007, 02:21 PM
thanks Leeann, i know where your talking about. i've heard the rangers refer to it as the pine creek boat ramp ( what ramp ? ) it is the first place i fished at the hinze back in 1995 , i still it think it's one of the best spots there. i have to drive past there to go to the main ramp (western) but last time i went to pine creek my car got broken into my windows smashed and music gone. all this on a monday morning. too expensive for me i wont go there again.
what i really want to know is whats going to happen to the remaining time on my fishing permit ? i know they wont give us a refund but if there are no real boat ramps to use what happens to the time left on our permits, can any one help ?
jamie

Leigh77
01-10-2007, 04:43 PM
The ramp on the eastern arm, near the pump tower is still open also...although it does get crowded. They havent banned fishing at the dam, so your permit is still needed if you plan to fish...though I wouldnt go out and buy another yearly at this stage...not until more info is known at least.

rc@hinze
01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Jamie, you can also walk down some of the many horse trails, mountain bike tracks and the old 4wd boat ramp to get to some very private fishing spots. With the current water level you can walk much of the bank up the eastern arm.

rayken1938
01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I was speaking to one of the rangers today and he recommended using the ramp at the mudgeeraba end. He said that the ramp at pine creek is very soft and not recommended for 2wd cars.
I think that the development plan for the dam says that the ramp at the mudgeeraba end is also going to be closed off when they commence to increase the height of the intake tower.
I sincerly hope that they will improve the ramp at Pine creek soon. I think that the planning says that this ramp is going to be the main access point in the future and funds have been allocated for it to be improved.
Maybe someone from the stocking group could comment.
Ray

rc@hinze
01-10-2007, 08:55 PM
A letter to residents recieved today in the mail from the Hinze Dam Alliance states that during 2008 the western and eastern ramps will be upgraded. On a recent walk around the dam survey paint and vehicle tracks were noticed on the the point to south west (left) of the existing Mudgeeraba ramp. This is also consistant with discussions with a ranger who believes a new ramp and recreation area was planned on this point. There is a phone number to speak to a member of the Hinze dam alliance on 1800 993 413.

Pumba
04-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys,
Just a question about the mudgeraba ramp- are there opening times like there were at the wall ramps?

Cheers,
Matt

rayken1938
04-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Was there yesterday am dirt ramp ok for 2wd bit muddy in water trailer sink about 1/2 inch so firm underneath no locked gates. may get steep if water drops a few feet. Access via little nerang Road then range road.
Cheers
Ray

rc@hinze
04-10-2007, 07:09 PM
A word of warning when at the ramp. Keep to the left of the tree sticking out of the water. Where the tree is there is big drop off sso keep well to the left when looking at the water from the shore. Best when reversing down to keep to the left of the steel rod sticking out of the dirt. I am told that when the Dam was last down that they had to close the ramp because several cars went in. There are gates there but they are not locked at night like the other ramps were.