PDA

View Full Version : Daintree river fishing advice

Synful
30-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Afternoon guys,

Looking for some advice from the more experienced among us as to some tips for fishing the Daintree.

Got my Dad coming up from Brisbane in two weeks time to help me "blood" the new 4.2m tinny and wanted to see if we could land a Daintree barra (his first barra as well) or jack.

I don't expect anyone to give me their Spot X or anything but a spot or two where we can get a few fish without becoming croc fodder would be nice ;)

I am well aware that there have been instances of croc attacks on boats in the past in the Daintree but I understand that this because boats have gotten too close to the bank where nests are located.

Ideally, I would like to target the following species:
Fingermark
Barra
Jacks
Queenfish
TrevallyThe other option would be to make the extra effort and take a drive to Cooktown; which due to it's further north location, may be a more productive option due to it's isolation from the tourists.:-/

With regards to Cooktown, if anyone has any recommendations for good cheap accommodation (where a boat can be stored as well) that would be appreciated.

FNQCairns
30-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Sorry not strictly an answer but what about Lucinda? Daintree is a hard fish, so is Cooktown in my experience which is not a lot up there. Hinchinbrook is a beut place for you to get to know your boat and land so many differing species all within a few Km of the dungeness (sp) ramp. can camp/donga at the cara park there.

Where is daintree boy or moffy!!!

cheers fnq

scuttlebutt
30-09-2007, 11:30 PM
yeah I'd be spending the day in the Inlet before I went to the Daintree. I've been there a couple of times without much to show for it. I was a bit puzzled 'cause I thought it should fish really well. Then got talking to one of the locals who reckons it get's a regular @rser@ping from shamatuers with nets. Got some mates in Mossman too who reckon it's flogged out.

Better off going to the inlet, anchor up current of a decent snag-pile and burley into it. Then drift lightly weighted baits into the snag and you should at least get a jack or two.

steve

Synful
01-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks for your posts Scott and Steve,

Got to admit that i am surprised that it's a hard fish in Daintree; given all the environmental regulations there I'm surprised that you would not come home with something; I really thought that it would have been one of those "unique locations" we all dream about (where there's good fish to get caught but you lose them taking in everything else around you). :(

The inlet was always going to be one of the places we were going to go anyway; there's quite a few wrecks in there that should hold fish if nothing else. I've got the Bransfords guide which lists several good locations so I should come home with something given a bit of luck.

Dan5
01-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Hey mate have you considered the bloomfield/weary bay area?Dan.......

Synful
01-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Hey mate have you considered the bloomfield/weary bay area?Dan.......

Hi Dan,

We were going to do Mowbray River and the Alexandra reef just off it though.
I have heard of Bloomfield area, where exactly is it I can't recall just at present?

fez
01-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Andrew,

Weary Bay is north of Wujul Wujul about 1 hrs drive north of Cape Trib (all by dirt), the question is would you be keen to tow the new tinny up there, through creek crossings etc. Not sure if I would, wonderful place and would tow an old tinny (with good/well maintained trailer) up there as it is a great fishing spot. Not ideal for a day trip from Cairns though. Some of the creek crossings are quite deep, especially the first one (heading North) always good to see the hire cars deciding to tempt fate.

What about the Russell/Mulgrave rivers, had heaps of success there and it is only 30min south of Cairns, depending on where you leave from, turn left at the BP at Twin Rivers, only 500m or so to the ramp, and it is a good two lane ramp, with heaps of parking. The river is quite shallow in spots so pay attention. I will try to dig up a map of the area and highlight some points on it for you.

Cheers,
Fez

FNQCairns
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Fez has a good idea for close to Cairns re Russell/Mulgrave (Mucharoo inlet), it's my favourite place within a hundred kilometers, caught some keeper grunter a few times but have not yet tried very hard, the place smells of fish at times + if the weather is very good the islands are close:) Some lockout zones also forget which.

cheers fnq

Synful
01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Andrew,

Weary Bay is north of Wujul Wujul about 1 hrs drive north of Cape Trib (all by dirt), the question is would you be keen to tow the new tinny up there, through creek crossings etc. Not sure if I would, wonderful place and would tow an old tinny (with good/well maintained trailer) up there as it is a great fishing spot. Not ideal for a day trip from Cairns though. Some of the creek crossings are quite deep, especially the first one (heading North) always good to see the hire cars deciding to tempt fate.

Yep, could be interesting getting through that in the AU Falcon, reckon I'd provide hours of entertainment for the locals ;D

What about the Russell/Mulgrave rivers, had heaps of success there and it is only 30min south of Cairns, depending on where you leave from, turn left at the BP at Twin Rivers, only 500m or so to the ramp, and it is a good two lane ramp, with heaps of parking. The river is quite shallow in spots so pay attention. I will try to dig up a map of the area and highlight some points on it for you.

That'd be great Fez - definitely appreciate that one!
From the Bransfords book, around High Island looks like some fun with GT's 8-)

Synful
01-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Fez has a good idea for close to Cairns re Russell/Mulgrave (Mucharoo inlet), it's my favourite place within a hundred kilometers, caught some keeper grunter a few times but have not yet tried very hard, the place smells of fish at times + if the weather is very good the islands are close:) Some lockout zones also forget which.

cheers fnq

Hi Scott,

Yeah the green zone looks to be to the north but the area is only just touched by my map of the GBRMP (MPZ6, need MPZ7); looks like High Island is a blue zone which means it's all good 8-)

FNQCairns
01-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Andrew this weekend is the start of the closed season so don't forget, the mouth has a bit of a bar, something akin to the mouth of the Barron so if you cross keep one eye on the tide height for the trip back. Overall it's a top spot.

cheers fnq

Synful
01-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Andrew this weekend is the start of the closed season so don't forget, the mouth has a bit of a bar, something akin to the mouth of the Barron so if you cross keep one eye on the tide height for the trip back. Overall it's a top spot.

cheers fnq

That's cool Scott - won't be going there till at the earliest 15th; closure ends on the 13th according to Fishweb ;D

Haji-Baba
01-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Try "The Mulgrave River".

Turn East at Deeral. then 200 m. to the marina.

Boat ramp is 300m. further down the road.

Good bait stop and good local info. We go there every year on our way to Cairns and stop for a week on the way both up and down.

Never missed a good feed of Jacks and Grunter each visit.

As stated before take it easy in the shallows and locate a good snag or two and
fish for "jacks". Small mullet, strips of bait, pillies and lures.

As i said, talk to the Marina people, they will put you right.

Takes a little while to get to know the place but well worth the effort.

Be careful to join the "ramp queue" both launching and retrieving.

Works very well here.

P.M. me for further info.

Have fun Haji-Baba.

Sea-Dog
02-10-2007, 06:26 AM
My advice - stay out of the river.

I knew a girl who was swimming from a trawler to the bank and got taken by a lizard.

I believe it was the Daintree.

That was about 22 years ago.

GAD
02-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Synful ,
mate the daintree is a long way to go for a river that you don't know and want to take some one to blood your boat mind you I'm bias as I tried and not very succesfully, I've got a mate living in Mossman and he reckons too flogged , but so is the inlet and Deeral , if you listen to the talk and yet people are still catching fish there . Mate the inlet can fish well all the drains and gates are the go fish the night less people and and not as hot , big Barra are legend under the marina though only ever get one in 50 in and just around the corner is Kings point for Fingermark and Nannies , then Fitzroy Island is just there and there Headlands going to Kings point often will get a few pelagics. always lots of fun.
Deeral, go up from the ramp to the lilly patch , beware of the old bridge stumps[ though good for a flick around ],as it gets hotter the barra get more aggittated, f you travel down stream to the heads there are great snags al the way down and lots of sand bars [I kow I got stuck on one at midnight and had to wait for the tide to get off], but the heads can yield ,grunter ,salmon, jack ,barra,fingermark, queenies , gt's and have even seen a few mackeral taken there , just out side , are few islands that are accessible to small tinnies and I used to take a 3.7m out to chase macks around High and Russel Islands , just the bar to cross which ain't anything like the bars down south and the wind ,which I used to have rule of in before midday in the little tinnie. mate I hope you do well..

Greg

Synful
02-10-2007, 07:59 AM
My advice - stay out of the river.

I knew a girl who was swimming from a trawler to the bank and got taken by a lizard.

I believe it was the Daintree.

That was about 22 years ago.

Hi Sea Dog,

That's just lunacy - why the hell would anyone swim in the Daintree :o:o

I know it's probably harsh, but that's got to be a classic Darwin Award candidate; what makes it even worse in my opinion is that she swam from a trawler - the crew should have known better.

Sea-Dog
02-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi Sea Dog,

That's just lunacy - why the hell would anyone swim in the Daintree :o:o

I know it's probably harsh, but that's got to be a classic Darwin Award candidate; what makes it even worse in my opinion is that she swam from a trawler - the crew should have known better.

She was working on a Bundy-based trawler that decided to try points north for a few prawns for the season. Dunno why she did the swim.

She didn't get a second chance.

fez
02-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Andrew,

Sorry mate havn't forgotten you will get that map for you tomorrow. Busy at work today, how rude to interupt my ausfish time.;D

Cheers,
Fez

Synful
02-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Andrew,

Sorry mate havn't forgotten you will get that map for you tomorrow. Busy at work today, how rude to interupt my ausfish time.;D

Cheers,
Fez

No problems Fez; know the feeling all too well, no rush buddy ;D