PDA

View Full Version : soft plastic methods for live bait & vice versa.

oldboot
29-09-2007, 08:42 PM
I just made the step over to the dark side & baught some a spin outfit and some spft plastics.

It just occurs to me that a portion of the SP sucess is method.

Im thinking that using SP jig heads for live ( or dead ) bait may not a bad idea.

It would allow you to put a but of extra weight right on the bait.

Also the jig jig wind retreve recomended for flat head would work equaly well with conventional bait.

considering the oposite..... I'm thinking at times it might be helpfull to try SP baits on conventional hook, line & sinker rigs....... particularly whiting, & patenosta rigs.

then ther is my thaught on the poor mans jig head...... for those times when you have run out of jig heads........ what about crimping a split shot onto the shaft of a long shank hook.

what do ya recon:)

cheers

tunaticer
30-09-2007, 08:58 AM
G'day oldboot,
All valid and often used techniques using the mixture of different styles. They all work almost equally well as each other in thier right environment for that particular technique.

I like using a large minnow type jighead and attach one or two more ganged hokks on the back of it for trolling baits down that bit deeper. They tend to be easier to swim without twisting than using a sinker before the gang.

I have also used Gamakatsu circle jig hooks for livebaiting with good success just putting the hook thru the nose and gettign that livie down deeper in the currents.

Jack.

imnotoriginal
30-09-2007, 09:41 AM
There was a very similar tactic used for many many years by a bloke who was a very successful flathead fisherman on Moreton Island. They did a special on him quite a few years back on brownies coastwatch (when it was a show and not just a website!). He used to rig up a hardihead on a short shank hook, once through the eye, then through the fish and place a small split shot about 15-20cm up the trace and jig the hardihead back. It worked just like a plastic, imitating a wounded baitfish jumping off the bottom then wafting down through the water. When was the last time we saw a fishing show where it was technique not product being pushed?
Joel

Flattie Assassin
30-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I've also been considering this for the last cpl of weeks oldboot. I got to admit I havn't used anything but plastics for a cpl of years now. ;D But if i did. It would be set up with a jighead and matching bait. Except for livies of course.

Very good point imnotoriginal. Brownies was a great show. ;)