PDA

View Full Version : fun in the fog!!!

bigdonk
29-09-2007, 05:50 PM
sat the 29th early am ,a fog rolled in across the nth goldy.... GPS was great help as i couldnt see 30 feet in front of the boat.... as i was heading through the seaway when almost colided with a jet ski:o ...

any one got any "fun in the fog" stories to tell???

kind_cir
29-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Fog must be good to bounce 27meg signal off of as I was at Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast and could here all about the fog on me set.

blaze
29-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Good old white out, rather be in a boat than a plane during a whiteout, at least with a boat you can drop the pick and have done in the past. I have also slowly made my way with the aid of the gps but you can see more with the stars at night than you can in the fog.
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
30-09-2007, 05:58 AM
Yeah well wasn't too much fun out there :O I went through the fog around 4 am and it went for 14klm before I came out the other side. Passed another vessel heading towards the seaway, we came within a few hundred meters of each other. I turned my deck spotties on so he could see us, It was very unnerving.

jez and suze
30-09-2007, 06:11 AM
suze and i were out near green in my old tinny afew years ago and it was the most scary sound having boats comming straight at us!one appeared only about 6m away before ferosiously turning the wheel....i sure pooped my pants!we could here fog horns going off all over the place......then to make my heart even weaker a bloody dugong breached right beside me!

Jackinthebox
30-09-2007, 11:03 AM
yeah and the weather clown on the radio was going on about there being no fog on the goldy while i'm looking at a fog bank stretching from straddie to south of surfers, the seaway and well offshore. Also, the hinterland was buried in a thick blanket too.
These guys need to look out the window some time.

Leeann
01-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Interesting trip through the fog from the Cabbage Tree boat ramp to the Pin Bar Saturday morning. Took it easy and got there okay. Gps is a godsend in those conditions. Ended up with some nice flatties, snapper and a jewie (not at the bar though) Great day on the water.

HIGH and DRY
01-10-2007, 01:19 PM
wello on sat morn was very surreal. got throught the leads ok, then was hit by the fog, litterally couldn't see 30m in front of the boat. my mates laughed at me when i bought my handheld GPS, but i was laughing on sat!!;D a lot of boats seemed to be hovering around the leads till the fog lifted. I had a few drifts and could hear people yelling and carrying on, when they (2 tinnies) appeared only 40 or so meters away!!!! they were calling to each other trying to find the red beacon....

if the fog wasn't bad enough, the swell sure was rolling through!! my missus turned as green as the water and i had to take her back to the jetty while i went back to try and catch some fish!...to no avail:'(

Sea-Dog
01-10-2007, 07:09 PM
I did a google search for boat names.

One name that amused me was "Fog Ducker" :P

the gecko
02-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I ran into fog on my first ever offshore solo trip off GC. At least I had gps, so I slowed down to 10 kts on my way to the 24s. It was very spooky, and I eventually punched out of the fog after a mile or 2.

Why I didnt turn around I'll never know. You could say I was pretty determined.
Do they make foghorn in a can?

Andrew

zigfreed
02-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Do they make foghorn in a can?

Andrew[/quote]

G'Day Andrew

Yeah they do mate just go to your local chandelry and they should have some.

I got a can specially for the uni students next door...............but we ended up moving before their next social function:'(

Cheers

Mick

catfishkid
03-10-2007, 11:44 AM
when i left for work this morning i could barley see past the bonnet of my car!!!!
had to drive using the cats eyes on the road and my lights.

cheers craig