PDA

View Full Version : Simple Snell?

ChuckBacker
28-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Can anyone please offer some advise. I normally use a locked bloodknot to tie on hooks but I have been trying to tye a snell. Is it normal for the looped line to twist up when doing the wraps around the hook or am I doing something wrong??
Not such a problem with light line but with heavy leader, I am trying with 60lb, the twisting makes it very difficult.
Many thanks
Steve

castlemaine
29-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I normally use a snell for a 2nd hook and do it like this ... up along the shank through the eye of the hook, back down the shank wrapping the line 7-8 times round the shank, then up through the shank again, presto. As easy and dodgie as it sounds and looks, it works. I was surprised when I tried first myself. But I haven't done it with 60lb line and as a terminal hook. Let me know how you go. Cheers

ChuckBacker
30-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks Castlemaine,
Ill give it a go. How many times do yu go through the eye?
Steve

freddofrog
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Not sure why you'd want to snell a single hook but if you want to tie a sliding snell try http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knotsrigs/slidingsnell.html.

I generally only use 3-4 turns on leaders above 60lb. Only yesterday I caught a 90cm/8.8kg pink snapper on the snelled hook so they definately hold.

cya
ff

oldboot
01-10-2007, 09:33 PM
I've been brushing up on my knots & have played with a snell.

the one where you put the line twice thru the eye and then twist seems to be the easiest.

I've been practising on 30 lb line witha ground off 4/0 hook

yep the standing line does twist s bit but you pull that thru and it goes away.

I think the key is keeping contoll of the knot as you pull it down.

I can see a case for snelling a hook..... because I can see with practice it would be easier to do than a locked half blood.

because you only have to thread thru the hook eye twice.....then twist it up.

I find that locked half blood can be a fiddle particularly in fine line when you cant see all that well..... not only do you have to thread the hook but you also have to thread the tag end thru the knot twice.

cheers

castlemaine
02-10-2007, 06:37 AM
ChuckBacker
The way I do it, I guess it's twice through the eye. Once through the eye, 8 turns, then out. I got shown this by a gun Jew fisherman for a twin hook rig but he always used a blood knot for his terminal hook. Which makes me think this way of snelling is only good as a second hook. I haven't seen it done this way in any books so I'm not taking the chance of losing a good fish (which are few and far between) on this snell. But it's very simple.

castlemaine
02-10-2007, 07:00 AM
ChuckBacker
Found something close to what I do ... Silly Snell, except I do it backwards and go back through the eye not the twists. But the silly snell should work as a terminal knot. I like knots that I can do in the dark or without my reading glasses.
http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knotsrigs/sillysnell.html
Cheers

oldboot
02-10-2007, 09:15 AM
what i've been playing with is described as a snood in a couple of the books I have.

the tage end is put thru the eye from the top, looped and put thru the eye again from the top and continued down the shank.

the portion of the loop closest to the tag end is then twisted arround the shank, standing end and tag end as they lie together hawever many times.

then the whole thing is pulled tight with the standing end.

the thing with this one is the tag end can be as long as you like and continues down the shank neatly.

you can do it without passing the line thru the eye if you like but it is a bit more of a fiddle that way.

I can see that it would be handy for laying a string of hooks on a line.

cheers

the gecko
02-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Im using a simple snell with 60lb trace ok. I use 8-9 turns. I do it the same way as described in Geoff Wilsons knot book. Its available at all good tackle shops.

ANdrew

ChuckBacker
02-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks all,
I have been practicing a couple of different versions an I think i have found the secret. I need to keep the wraps close togethr then hold them between the thumb and forefinger until it is closed with the standing end..
It does get easier the more I practice.
Thanks for all of the helpful replies.
Steve