PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Free batteries any problems?

PeterInSA
27-09-2007, 04:56 PM
For the last 40 years I have used screw cap type batteries where you can see and test the acid. I have 2 x 700 CCA batteries in the Cruiser and a similar battery in the 1/2 cabin to turn over the Merc 85 and run lights etc. Seriously thinking of replacing one battery with an Exide 730CCA Exide Endurance battery(with anchor bonded plates for vibration resistance) and putting it in the boat.

When I go bush, the two best batteries are back in the cruiser.

Batteries in the cruiser last more than 5 years, and are still good, but are pensioned off to ensure reliability. The boat battery is kept up, by one of those small solar cells.

The last 700+CCA battery I bought from Super Cheap at around $150 and that was on one of their 20% off days. Sprint a SA organisation similar to Super cheap are offering the Exide 730CCA at $124. Is this Maintenance Free Battery a good buy????

In other words I know nothing about Maintenace Free batteries.

Appreciate your comments

Kleyny
27-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I have a maintenance free battery in my wifes car its been in there for 5 or so years with no dramas even after leaving the lights on and completely flattening it.
But some people have had dramas with them. I think it comes down to what one you buy. Personally i would go for one with a good warranty.
i am also a strong believer of keeping the battery charged, once a month i put my boat battery on charge for a couple of hours. My boat battery is a deep cycle crank from exide maintenance free (i think)
In the two that you have in your post i would go for the exide

neil

P.S. i have heard that some of the maintenance free batteies you can still remove the lid and top up the water.

boney-leg
27-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I've got a Dual-OPTIMA D31A deep cycle - dual purpose- yellow top (maintenance free)which came with a 5yr warranty. It was pricey though :-/ My battery sits in the console so other deep cycle batteries weren't an option as they vent when charging which isn't ideal for the electrics. They have a website from memory.

PADDLES
28-09-2007, 08:14 AM
spend as much money as you can on it pete. the better sealed batteries are generally used for industrial standby applications and are of a deep cycle type so it'd be worth talking to one of the reps from say century/yuasa or a similar quality battery manufacturer and let him know your application so they can tell you if it's suitable for motor starting. there's contact details for tech info on the web sites of the manufacturers.