PDA

View Full Version : Outriggers

the baker
27-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Hey All

I am looking at putting a set of outriggers on the 4.2m tinnie I need some help to get started I thought a set of short outriggers would be the go. but I am not sure what to use for the poles so I thought with the amount of expirence on Ausfish that some top ideas could be posted

Thanks dave.

dnej
27-09-2007, 12:45 PM
G,day David,
The attachment might get you started.
Regards David

finga
27-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I finished some for 'Junior' about a month ago just in time for summer.
They just slip into any vertical rodholder just like a rod.
The second picture you'll have to tilt your noggin' about 45 degrees to the left so the table is horizontal.
Gees I'd better get stuck in and clean the bench to by the looks :-[

jeffo
27-09-2007, 07:17 PM
what do you plan on fishing for with them?

Nice craftsmanship finga!

Noelm
28-09-2007, 09:05 AM
a very simple but often over looked thing is to make sure the Outriggers cannot drag in the water when the boat rolls, there is enormous drag on (say) a 12' pole with it's end in the water, seen bases bent, deck/cabin side broken so be sure if they are low mounted that they "stick up" away from the water on the outer ends.

the baker
29-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks Guys I thought maybe I would be able to trim down 2 14ft surf rods to use for the poles or do you think that they might be a bit soft.

jeffo
29-09-2007, 07:36 AM
outriggers are meant as much for hieght as they are for spread width....any one who dips a rigger tip either has them rediculously to low set or is out in weather they shouldnt be. If you are going to cut down 14 foot surf rods i would only cut a foot or so off the tip to stiffen them up, the longer the better.

Are you planning on trilling lure or baits with them- and if free spool or strike drag?