PDA

View Full Version : Squidgies Pro Range

Awoonga
27-09-2007, 06:47 AM
This could go in freshwater reports ...But its more about the Product than fishing...l have been a fan of Squidgies since they came on the scene...So when l heard about the new prorange l thought this is going to be good....mmm Colours great...Hooks....is it just me or do they leave a bit to be desired....There is a place at Awoonga where the large ladies frequent ..So when you go chasing bear you go armed for the purpose....Loomis 664...GL3 Battlestick.. Dawia Millionaire with Erskine drag kit..60 lb line and 50lb wire trace...Blown away time and time again..It wasn,t untill we went back to the old style hooks that we landed fish.. So did l just get a bad batch ? {Four packets } or ????...

Peter4
27-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Suggest you give the feedback to the squidgies group.

My guess is they will come up with a range of "Impoundment Barra Squidgies" with heavy duty hooks and a bigger price tag!

Pete

flyfisho
27-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Now I see why you were so willing to share

Plastic_Magic
27-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Hey Awoonga I may as well be a resident at awoonga as i fish there most days of the week when not at school and have just stocked up on the new pro range and have much success on them out at awoonga. I have landed a few metre fish in th last week and wish to land more and i havent had one hook look like straightining. I fish with a 6-10kg Miller Rod with a curado spooled up with 30lb braid and run 60 -80 lb leader. Hope that was just a bad batch and you continue to have much success on the new squidgy range.

Cheers Plastic_Magic

Aeon
27-09-2007, 08:41 AM
I didn't know there was a pro range - what's the difference (more colours?) and where can you get them ? I couldn't see them on MO website.

Peter4
27-09-2007, 09:13 AM
I didn't know there was a pro range - what's the difference (more colours?) and where can you get them ? I couldn't see them on MO website.

Check October Fishing Monthly magazine for a full story and promo on the new pro range.

Pete;)

Big_Ren
27-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Didn't know about the Pro range either Trev. They look "slick" though;D

Hope to catch up with you and Andrew in a few weeks.

Cheers
Paul

Awoonga
27-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Now I see why you were so willing to share No understand bloke....??????.

Aeon
27-09-2007, 10:20 AM
I think he meant because of your spoils !

Ben G
27-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Wouldnt the weight on the hook be coming from you and the reel and the pull of the fish?
If so , is there room to ease the drag abit? or does the surrounds not permit?

Where have the fish been hooked.?

Sorry for all the Questions.
Interested
Ben

tunaticer
27-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I think the Squidgy team could do a whole lot of developing with their jig hooks and jig designs to at least try and be competitive quality wise on the market.

The finesse series of jigs really need a lot more barb that the one tiny wire to hold the bait esp if you are working your baits moderately let alone fast.

Good plastics range and quality lousy jigs.

Jack.

TinarooTriumph
27-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Thats a nice colour scheme on that Slick Rig Trev... whats it called? I saw one of the 'Flaming Barra' ones the other day (think thats what it's called). Gotta love the Drop Bear... nice and natural. And yes I can relate to having straightened hooks from using a few... not much you can do about it. If you have another Stinger etc on the plastic at the same time then your chances increase bigtime. Otherwise, tie on another!

Their old Jig and Hooks are dam good if you ask me... look at the success they have had on them! They could trim a few grams of weight from the 110's though... about the only problem I have with them (aswell as the odd S/Rig that won't swim properly full stop, so out come the scissors for a trim!). I am still having fun using them and working on better hook up rates.

Cheers

Theo

NAGG
27-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey Awoonga I may as well be a resident at awoonga as i fish there most days of the week when not at school and have just stocked up on the new pro range and have much success on them out at awoonga. I have landed a few metre fish in th last week and wish to land more and i havent had one hook look like straightining. I fish with a 6-10kg Miller Rod with a curado spooled up with 30lb braid and run 60 -80 lb leader. Hope that was just a bad batch and you continue to have much success on the new squidgy range.

Cheers Plastic_Magic

Plastic ... Your 30lb ... could be a clue here ( the pressure exerted on a single hook would be far less than someone using 60lb) ..... some one using 100lb could just about straighten any single hook (other than a game hook) ... Nagg

flyfisho
27-09-2007, 09:13 PM
No understand bloke....??????.
I mean you were quick to offload the new ones and hang on to the old ones in the boat the other day , now I can see why . Clever Trev ;)

Mike Delisser
27-09-2007, 09:42 PM
[quote=Ben G;690078]Wouldnt the weight on the hook be coming from you and the reel and the pull of the fish?
If so , is there room to ease the drag abit? or does the surrounds not permit?
=
Trev said "..60 lb line and 50lb wire trace...Blown away time and time again."

The new ones are a little lighter which can be a plus in some situations but it's easy as to just trim a little lead off the older style slick rig and you have a stronger hook to boot.
Mike

Awoonga
28-09-2007, 08:04 AM
The surrounds dont permit any less drag...Tiger country....Went somewhere else last night...weedbeds where you can back the drag off a bit ...Still had a problem but not as bad....Chris... the other day l had the old slick rigs ....it was just that l had painted them up with Spike it...

keepitreel
28-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but it wouldn't matter if you had 200lb line spooled on your reel. Your reel's drag is still going to be the same no matter what pound line you have. The only reason for fishing the heavier line is for abrasive purposes.

NAGG
28-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but it wouldn't matter if you had 200lb line spooled on your reel. Your reel's drag is still going to be the same no matter what pound line you have. The only reason for fishing the heavier line is for abrasive purposes.
Keepitreel ..... Dont forget thumb pressure .... It is a hyper overload of a drag ..... & the only way of fishing tackle to the max :P .... Nagg

Ben G
28-09-2007, 07:02 PM
So the pro range has a new hook/weight setup?

MitchCalcutt
28-09-2007, 07:41 PM
This could go in freshwater reports ...But its more about the Product than fishing...l have been a fan of Squidgies since they came on the scene...So when l heard about the new prorange l thought this is going to be good....mmm Colours great...Hooks....is it just me or do they leave a bit to be desired....There is a place at Awoonga where the large ladies frequent ..So when you go chasing bear you go armed for the purpose....Loomis 664...GL3 Battlestick.. Dawia Millionaire with Erskine drag kit..60 lb line and 50lb wire trace...Blown away time and time again..It wasn,t untill we went back to the old style hooks that we landed fish.. So did l just get a bad batch ? {Four packets } or ????...

Unfortunately I know where you’re coming from. A couple of weeks ago I lost an 80cm + Flathead on a slick rig and we all know Flaties don't pull hard. Also lost 1 other unknown fish within the hour.
Thanks for saving me the money

fish_on
29-09-2007, 03:11 PM
well lets hope for squidgies sake they have a look at them for the impoundments. hey trev i was going to send you up a batch. do you still want them or do you wanna wait. just let me know mate. benny. p.s - good to see the horse whisperer is still up to his old tricks ha ha

fish_on
29-09-2007, 03:20 PM
yeah ben g just had a closer look and the hooks look to be the same gauge but weights are different 130mm slick rig weighed in at 47g where the new slick rig pro 130mm weighed in at 37g. the 110mm 38g and 28g respectivly

nuggstar
29-09-2007, 10:01 PM
did ya rub the s factor on to ya squidgy or just used them as is

Sniper
01-10-2007, 05:06 PM
No understand bloke....??????.
He is a bit hard to understand hey Trevor? lol
Bill
Heard about your trip the other night from Mike. Well done.
Hope to see you again soon
Bill