PDA

View Full Version : Overhead to Cast Lures from boat

Splash
26-09-2007, 11:42 PM
HI Team.

I have buyin from the wife now.:)

She wants a lightweight overhead with max highest possible drag with high retrieve rate so that she can cast lures from boat soley dedicated for tossing lures for large pelagics.

Overhead that will easily "apply brakes" (lever drag I think) to big fish so that she has a chance of bringing them to boat. If not - relaible star drag..

What is a good overhead that can perform this role easily (with braid):
Saltist 30TH, Torium 16/20, ABU 6500C4, ABU 4600C4, 5600C4, 5600AB, Okuma Induron 250IDX, Shimano Calcutta 200B, other?

Or, should I consider baitcasters because she will nto be casting more than say 50-60m? If so, what brand of baitcaster?

She is left handed and does not want a spinning reel either.

She is also after an accomodating good lightweight graphite rod ideally with cork grips. Thoughts on this ideal rod as well?

Lures tossed will range from small to medium.

SPlash

jm82
27-09-2007, 08:53 AM
I Would Go For The Torium 16/20 Or Even A Trinidad16/20 Both Very Easy To Cast Have Great Drags And Cast Control I Cast My Torium 20 With A Unweighted Pille Almost 50 Metres With Out A Problem

Regards Josh

krazyfisher
27-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Trinadad makes a good casting reel

slabjig
27-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Newell reels are very popular here on the pacific coast of Oregon for casting swim baits to albacore. Very free spinning, composite spool which greatly reduces overruns, star drag, and a variety of sizes to fit most needs. And they do come in left hand models. Charkbait is an online dealer who carries a good selection.

Splash
27-09-2007, 04:49 PM
THanks boys.

I have a price limit of around $300 max for the reel. I thin kthe Trinidad is more coin??

Isn' tthe Torium inferior wehn comapre to the Saltist?

What gear ratio shoudl I be aiming for?

What breaking strain in braid should I aim for?

What about the Saltist?

What about the rod?

SPlash

Splash
27-09-2007, 05:12 PM
And, what is the best ergnomic reel in this list of recommneded reels you guys have put forward?

Splash

Splash
27-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Newell reels are very popular here on the pacific coast of Oregon for casting swim baits to albacore. Very free spinning, composite spool which greatly reduces overruns, star drag, and a variety of sizes to fit most needs. And they do come in left hand models. Charkbait is an online dealer who carries a good selection.

Can these Newell reels cast out pilcahrds unweighted > 50 m?

How much do they weigh?

Anyone else use these neweel reels and make recomendations?

Splash

goddy100
27-09-2007, 07:28 PM
I just purchased an Abu Revo Inshore for $250. Very strong reel with heaps of drag. Holds plenty of line, casts well, palms well and easy to use. Did I mention the drag? Very strong. Reputed to be about 24lbs according to reports on the web. A review site in USA tried the drag at max and had 20lb braid break during testing. Also do a search, another bloke caught a marlin on one, about 35kgs from memory, on 10lb line.
I just need to get out and catch a fish on it to try it out.::)

Goddy

Splash
27-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Good one Goddy.

WHy did you not choose the usual suspects like shimano and Daiwa?

How do they cast lgiht stuff?

Splash

Splash
27-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey Goddy - just checked it on ABU site - I'm in LOVE!

Where in Oz can I pick one up?

What species will u be using the inshore for?

I am a bit concerned of little line capacity though - thoughts?

Did U get the double paddle version or single paddle (on handle)?

Splash

goddy100
27-09-2007, 11:19 PM
cast fairly light lures ok, can cast a squidgy prawn a fair way. Lauches a reidys B52. This is on a 2 peice shimano raider rod, which is little short and stiff for me. Choose abu because I like abus, owning several 5600C4s, and these reels have got some good reviews around the traps.

goddy

Splash
28-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Anyone else have opinions on what reel woudl suit inital criteria?

Ergonomics are also an important factor..

Splash