PDA

View Full Version : Best lifejacket for kids?

Synful
26-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Evening Guys,

Just wondering what lifejacket you bought for your kids when taking them out in a boat?

My 3 year old is as bad as me counting down the day till Daddy gets his new boat and we obviously need to get him a PFD1 but what are the best ones to get someone of that age that is going to last him a while?

Hamish73
26-09-2007, 08:31 PM
does it need to be a PDF1??? Rebecca wears a sailing style life jacket (not sure of the PDF number) Need something comfortable as they have to wear it whenever the boat is underway

Tailortaker
26-09-2007, 08:33 PM
My son wears a childs PFD1 with neck support and croutch strap, make sure it fits right and is comfy enough, got it from BCF
________
Toyota Tsusho (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Tsusho)

Synful
26-09-2007, 09:17 PM
does it need to be a PDF1??? Rebecca wears a sailing style life jacket (not sure of the PDF number) Need something comfortable as they have to wear it whenever the boat is underway

Hi Hamish,

Only when the boat is underway?
I thought that under 12 they had to wear one at all times in a boat in QLD.

I'd prefer a PFD1 as they usually have a neck piece to keep kids heads above water.

Synful
26-09-2007, 09:19 PM
My son wears a childs PFD1 with neck support and croutch strap, make sure it fits right and is comfy enough, got it from BCF

Hi TT,

Yeah we had a look at the ones at BCF and they seem to have the biggest choice that I've seen in terms of kids PFD's.

Hamish73
26-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Hi Hamish,

Only when the boat is underway?
I thought that under 12 they had to wear one at all times in a boat in QLD.

I'd prefer a PFD1 as they usually have a neck piece to keep kids heads above water.
You are probably right.
What do they class as a 'boat'? Obviously thats not the case on ferries etc Is it only on private vessels?

rowanda
26-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi
I have 3 kids 6,4 and 18 months and all wear PFD1. I was told quite bluntly that anything less is not worth while on a child and a PFD1 is what you want them to wear if you want them to survive and anything less (PFD2 and over) just for body retrieval - nasty but fair I thought. We have BIAS in NSW (I think whitworths in QLD but maybe wrong) and found they have a good range and have bought all mine from there (would have similar to BCF I imagine) cheap protection at about $60-$90. Mine wear the jacket from when they step into the boat till when they step out, no chance worth taking with kids.
Rowan

Synful
26-09-2007, 10:15 PM
You are probably right.
What do they class as a 'boat'? Obviously thats not the case on ferries etc Is it only on private vessels?

Nah they are ok without one on a ferry on QLD as far as I am aware.

Synful
26-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi
I have 3 kids 6,4 and 18 months and all wear PFD1. I was told quite bluntly that anything less is not worth while on a child and a PFD1 is what you want them to wear if you want them to survive and anything less (PFD2 and over) just for body retrieval - nasty but fair I thought. We have BIAS in NSW (I think whitworths in QLD but maybe wrong) and found they have a good range and have bought all mine from there (would have similar to BCF I imagine) cheap protection at about $60-$90. Mine wear the jacket from when they step into the boat till when they step out, no chance worth taking with kids.
Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Yep that's similar to what I have been told as well with regards to the the PFD 2 and 3's - good for body retrieval only (harsh but worth the brutality in my opinion in this instance). The 3's I have been told are useless even for adults with next to no floatation properties.

Wouldn't accept anything less than a PFD1 irrespective of cost.
Just looking for some recommendations on brand and the appropriate cost that people have purchased.

rowanda
26-09-2007, 10:36 PM
no worries, just checked mine they are the red and yellow RFD Guardian PFD1
I believe the 12-25kg one will be right for your child, but I would always take the child in to see if it fits correctly before purchasing. I don't believe in 'growing' into a lifejacket and it should fit correctly, even if it means purchasing a new one in less than a year. I would rather have it fit correctly when they are wearing it.
I think you can see the ones I have on www.biasboating.com.au (http://www.biasboating.com.au)
I have even tested them by throwing the kids over with the jacket on (boat was stationery just to see if they worked correctly and they did)
and no I don't work for them, just closer to Bias than BCF from where I am in Newcastle
Rowan

Hamish73
27-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Good point re the PDF1 being the best. Rebecca is 11 and a strong swimmer, so I gues it horses for coarses.

Synful
27-09-2007, 06:38 AM
no worries, just checked mine they are the red and yellow RFD Guardian PFD1
I believe the 12-25kg one will be right for your child, but I would always take the child in to see if it fits correctly before purchasing. I don't believe in 'growing' into a lifejacket and it should fit correctly, even if it means purchasing a new one in less than a year. I would rather have it fit correctly when they are wearing it.
I think you can see the ones I have on www.biasboating.com.au (http://www.biasboating.com.au)
I have even tested them by throwing the kids over with the jacket on (boat was stationery just to see if they worked correctly and they did)
and no I don't work for them, just closer to Bias than BCF from where I am in Newcastle
Rowan

Thanks Rowan,

The Minister for Finance has to go down to Townsville in a few weeks, might get her to go into their Townsville Branch and have a look with the "mini monster" and get him fitted with one while they are there :)

PADDLES
27-09-2007, 08:00 AM
just bought a new one for our little girl at bias andrew she got too big for her old one. $55 for the rfd pfd1 12-25kg.

STUIE63
27-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Andrew get a pfd1 vest type with crotch strap I paid about $80 but you have a whitworths in cairns try them . it's got to be comfortable so the little tacker will wear it .when I bought my first boat all anybody wanted to sell me for the kids was the $20 ones I had to ask three times for good ones before I got showed the vest types.
Stuie

freddofrog
27-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Try and get some with a strap/grab handle on the collar. Heaps easier to hoist them up should they fall in.

Also get the kids familiar with them. Similar to Rowanda, I just threw the kids into a swimming pool, told them not to struggle, just relax, spread out like a starfish and look up.

Something I found out while doing this is the PDFs (or at least my ones) are NOT self righting! (Think getting knocked out while falling over board). I did a little experiment and put the kids floating face down and very quickly realised I had to turn them over. Bit dodgy I though but I guess nothing is fool proof.

Cya
ff

Argle
27-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Both my boys have PFD1's we got them from BCF, they have more of a seat in them rather than a crotch strap and they dont ride up high around the ears making them uncomfortable for the kids to wear. They are very adjustable - my 2 year old has the same size as his 4 year old brother. Both the boys love to wear them and they have the head support with a grab handle attached. I think they were around the $70 dollar mark but thats cheap insurance if you ask me. I have a pic of the littlest bloke wearing his so you can get a bit of an idea.

Cheers and beers
Scott