PDA

View Full Version : EPIRB and OZ standards

FNQCairns
26-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Need to buy one of the digital 406s sooner rather than later, this GME one (in the link) is easy to source but in the dribble it says it is not AS approved.

Still safe to buy it?? from a regulatory point of view that is.

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=144&item=74522&intAbsolutePage=1

cheers fnq

whiteman
26-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I've got one and I guess it works. Where is Kerry when you need him?

Noelm
26-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I think it will be approved, but it has not done so yet (I think) but just give GME a call, I have found them to be very helpfull in the past.

FNQCairns
26-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks' fella's, probably will ring the importers/makers shouldn't need to though, really don't want to get thuged back alley style by the regs like I did over a life jacket that failed the test by 1mm in the pfd1 writing size.

I really don't think worrying about this should be my responsibility>:(.

cheers fnq

Black_Rat
26-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm looking at picking one up soon from Whitworths, (maybe tommorow) if I get time and I'll run the question by them.

EDIT: Would you know if it's there resonsibilty to submit your boat type/contact details or is this something you have to send off ???

EDIT 2:

Found this info through a link on your link ;D might have something to do with it ?

Low cost 406 MHz beacons

Australia has been instrumental in seeking changes to the Cospas-Sarsat distress beacon specifications to enable manufacturers to produce a low cost distress beacon before the cessation of satellite processing of 121.5 MHz beacons in February 2009. As a consequence the international body, Cospas-Sarsat has revised the specifications slightly that allow alternative technologies to be used that should reduce the price of beacons significantly.
Australian industry has taken the opportunity to lead in the research and development of distress beacons that has resulted in low cost EPIRBs with prices as low as $400. Local manufacturers are releasing their low cost PLBs into the market in early 2007 with a standard PLB at a recommended retail price of about $400 and the GPS version at about $600.
Distributors of some imported PLBs are already selling GPS capable PLBs at the recommended retail price of $660.
Bookmark this page to return frequently to learn of developments with low cost beacons.

FNQCairns
26-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks Black Rat, I too have been chasing it up and think I found what is the Ozzy standard certificate - dunno for sure, dodgee looking thing it is, looks like the consumer takes all the end risk but hey, as long as it fills the required reg so I can go fishing I don't really care:)

http://www.gme.net.au/epirb/pdfs/as_nzs4280.1.2003.pdf

cheers fnq