PDA

View Full Version : fishing shows

nuggstar
25-09-2007, 11:27 PM
what ever happend to all the good old fishing shows that use to be on tv, like rex hunt and fish internatinol or wild fish or rod harrison's fishen adventurs. most of the shows on now sometimes arnt even worth watching (i still watch them but). so im just wondering what you guys thing, do you like the fishen shows on now or not. and should bushy and steve do a show together again?. i vote yes

MyEscape
26-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Yeah, I'd go along with that. Most of the shows are really just advertising or just really long adds for a resort of something.

I'd just prefer to see a show about a place where the average Joe Blow with his 15' tinnie can get to. Not some reef 250k's from Mackay where you need to chopper in and spend 10 grand for the week. This doesn't happen for 99% of fishos.

Maybe I'm just a tight a...

Steve

nuggstar
26-09-2007, 07:12 AM
i loved watching the old hehe old (i hope he reads this) alex juelius fishing adventures. he would get heaps off big barra and seemed like a average bloke
and rod harison, he was my hiro growing up as a kid in darwin. i remember watching him brake his tow or foot while fighting a huge tuna and he still got the fish in, that kind of determination inspied me to be as determin as he was with me fishen. who is going to do that now 4 the new genaration of kids we need some more good shows but then again the less people fishen the more fish 4 me haha

nuggstar
26-09-2007, 07:15 AM
maybe i could do it. nuggstars fishing adventures haha i like the sound of that

imnotoriginal
26-09-2007, 07:16 AM
There's more money in the dvds these days (and they're blatant adverts too), but I would love to see another series of wildfish. That show was fantastic.
Joel

Flattie Assassin
26-09-2007, 07:48 AM
I don't seem to get that many fishing shows on foxtel. I do get Rex Hunt daily, which can be alright. Yesterday he was at Hervey Bay and it was a pearler of an episode. I get by with my fishing dvd's and mags. Keeps me dreaming. :D

basskid
26-09-2007, 08:30 AM
i love austar because there are a few good shows like hooked with dave buttface sorry butfeild , rex hunt, fishing WA, american bass shows and a few other buts still its not worth buyin austar just for these shows hahaha enjoy. i wish me and a few mates could make a dvd it would be sweeeeet but alot of other kids are awsome fisherman and sometimes they just have all the luck like if there dads a pro recreation fisherman and get all the gear and access to everything while my parents dont even fish hahhahah

Noelm
26-09-2007, 08:49 AM
I still reckon that a Show that starts off in (say) Victoria with a medium Boat and car setup, and does a trip right up the Coast, looking at Ramps and Facilities, as well as Bait supply and tackle shops, then goes fishing without any guides or Local help (as most Tourists do) and then TRUTHFULLY reports on what is found, and then we can properly gauge what a destination would be like for a Holiday, not too sure how to get some sponsors involved that will give time/money/gear without being mentioned every 30 seconds, and where to get a host that does not come across as a goose or a know it all, but maybe some day, hhmm maybe I should start writing to Toyota/Quintrex/Shimano/Penn whoever to see what sort of response I get, maybe even instead of having the very top of the range everything, get the more basic models that most use and see how they go!

oldboot
26-09-2007, 09:22 AM
I guess "modern fishing shows" have gone the way of most of the lifestyle programes..... shallow, fast paced nad aimed at dreamers rather than doers.

I see that lots of the media, i include the fishing mags and books tend to pander to the advertisers........ most of the advertisers with budgets are aiming at top end product.

People often critisise the likes of don bourke and peter cundal for beeing booring and showing the same sorts of things over and over........ but thats what grass roots ( te he) gardeners do...... the same sorts of things over and over.
But here we have the point of the matter......... the vast majority of the market in home gardening is in the mundane..... not the high priced.

In past years fishing has moved up town.......when I was a kid the only types chasing big palagics one expensive boats with expensive gear were rich types like Bob & Dolly Dyer.
these days there are lots of $50 000 pluss boats going in on our boat ramps ans lots of $200..$300.. $400 reels being sold.

The advertisers with money and therfore the programe producers will tend toward the upper end of the market.

Unfortunately the working class angler with a couple of rods and a yabby pump doesn't spend enough....... so they ignore us.

Then you have the product placement issue......... you can bett your muddy wellington boots that if a brand name or business is mentioned on a life style programe......... some one has been paid for the mention.

There is no money to be made selling side cast reels and showing people how to gather their own bait.

but there is heaps of money in selling egg beaters and overheads and pushing soft plasics and lures.

Standard monofilament line will last for years if you dont fish much and keep it out of the light........ but .........."Oh you realy should replace your braid in your spinning reel every three months at least".

It all about selling product.

I'll shut up now:-X

cheers

Little grey men
26-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Yep, they sure are lacking a bit nowadys. But even the bad fishing shows have to be better than watching the other mind numbing garbage that passes for entertainment these days ie big brother and other reality shows.AAAAARGH !!!
I did get a fishing mag a while ago with a DVD attached. I think it was an Okuma sponsored show where a bloke walks into a tackle store and picks out one of the customers, put's a ton of fishing gear in his hands and asks him to head to the Northern Territory to catch 15 different fish species in a certain time. If he passed the test he got to keep all the fishing gear @ $5000 worth. That one was enjoyable. I couldn't help but feel happy for the bloke when he scored all the gear. All they need is a little creativity.

Noelm
26-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I agree 100% that's why I reckon "MY" show might be a goer, it will appeal to the mainstream family who do not have a mega budget, or go on a guided trip every year, but do a (maybe) once a year sojurn on a shoestring budget, spend a heap of time spending holiday money at various places but hardly catch a feed, and never know what to expect as far as a ramp or even a cleaning table , so unless it is an annual holiday to the same spot, a true look at places and stuff may be of interest to a lot of people.

Little grey men
26-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Noelm. If it was aimed at mainstream families. You may end up with the following episode.

Wife:- but you went fishing yesterday, why do you want to go again.

Husband:- it is a fishing show for your information.

Wife:- but you said you'd take the kid's and I to the big pineapple.

Angry Husband:- Yeah love but, but. The tides right.

Smug Wife:- You don't catch fish anyway.

Angrier Husband:- Well I, but, just, turn that bloody camera off will ya.

Happy Wife: Where off to the Big Pineapple today viewers, you can see your smelly fish tomorrow.

This is what would happen if I hosted the show:-/

Peter4
26-09-2007, 10:50 AM
You guys are classics!

Having said that, I couldn't agree with you more!

Pete

bennykenny
26-09-2007, 10:57 AM
ive said it before and ill say it again, ausfish the tv show, featuring different members each episode, i know from reading the posts that we have some great fisher people out there, and i would love to see some of them in action

Horse
26-09-2007, 10:58 AM
There was Ron Calcutts Fisherman's World series, Mal Florences movies, a couple of Rod Harrisons then a long way back to the rest of the pack. I can't watch the cr@p they put out now.

Noelm
26-09-2007, 11:05 AM
OK then, what about we do a segment on each place an Ausfisher lives at, just arrive, no guides, just a persons boat, a bit of a look around the area for 'self bait gathering" bait and tackle shops, a good look at the ramp and any "tricks" to it (like a shallow side or a big rock just off it) then a trip out the bar/harbour whatever with a bit of local info on that, then some plain old "bread and butter" fishing, not always Marlin/Barra, that might be a goer.

oldboot
26-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Congratulations "little grey" thats the first decent aaaargh i've seen on this board..........

perhaps next time the admin's upgrade the forum software they'll install some more expressive emoticons.

In all seriousness if someone can come up with some sponsors and maybe a presenter I recon I could round up some crew, equipment and production facilities........you can get on air on bris 31 quite economicaly......& then may be sindicate the other community TV stations.

I had a bit of envolvement there in the early days.
Krikey is a couple of Brothers can float a game show on peanuts ( their dad sold peanuts and sponsored the show), we should be able to manage a grass roots fishing show.

I recon we could make a decent fist of it for $5G a show..... I mean much better then some of the amateur hour stuff on there now.

If you think I'm kidding.... try me.

cheers

Noelm
26-09-2007, 01:31 PM
hhmm you have got me thinking.

elliven
26-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Anything But That Stop The Bus Freak`n Show,can`t Stand It!
Be Interesting To See All Those Harro And Callcutt Shows Replayed Though.

disorderly
26-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Anything But That Stop The Bus Freak`n Show,can`t Stand It!

lol,but then again some of the crap rexy comes out with makes me shake my head as well.Maybe we just have to accept the presenters idiosyncrasies and product plugging and enjoy the fishing.

Scott

bennykenny
26-09-2007, 08:31 PM
i wish they would stop the bus and let him off!!!!!!, i cant belive this joker has a show.

Synful
26-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Hey Noelm. If it was aimed at mainstream families. You may end up with the following episode.

Wife:- but you went fishing yesterday, why do you want to go again.

Husband:- it is a fishing show for your information.

Wife:- but you said you'd take the kid's and I to the big pineapple.

Angry Husband:- Yeah love but, but. The tides right.

Smug Wife:- You don't catch fish anyway.

Angrier Husband:- Well I, but, just, turn that bloody camera off will ya.

Happy Wife: Where off to the Big Pineapple today viewers, you can see your smelly fish tomorrow.

This is what would happen if I hosted the show:-/

Amen to that LGM - that is my wife all over :-/

alleycat
26-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I reckon steve starling could make a great series, sadly rex hunt wouldnt know one end of a rod from another, his rods are like wet spaghetti and he uses 5 oz sinkers for whiting, in other words he has NFI, and who mentioned ron calcutt? he passed away some time ago but his rock fishing clip of hat head is legendary.

boogsboat
26-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Southern cross 10 has just fnished a series of Hook Line And Sinker. Two Yobbos from tassie who take the p!ss out of each other while fishing and not to serious.

NBN (9) Also just finished a series of Fishing Australia a tad more serious then Hook Line and Sinker

Nathan

Lovey80
26-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Noelm I like how you express it as your idea :D like every second person here hasn't been dreaming of something similar for ever;)
I had a similar idea but for 3 DVD's
A east coast DVD from South NSW to NthQLD
A south coast DVD from Vic to perth
A north/West coast from perth up the west coast through the Kimberly to Darwin.

The point would be stopping and all the remote and well know spots and going on just the advice of the local tackle bloke at each spot. Each location gets a fair assessment and the tackle shop gets a plug (before) we go fishing on his advice.
How good the plug is is determined by the outcome of the fishing.

Cheers Chris

Lovey80
26-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Oh and there would be no big $$$ charter sessions all would have to be accessable from the boat I'm towing.

Cheers Chris

nuggstar
27-09-2007, 07:49 AM
i think the idear of a ausfish dvd or tv show would be awsome. we all could have a part of it. id kill to see some of you guys in action

Noelm
27-09-2007, 08:17 AM
sorry, never really intended to come across as solely my idea, maybe my idea of a good show more like it.

Little grey men
27-09-2007, 08:18 AM
i think the idear of a ausfish dvd or tv show would be awsome. we all could have a part of it. id kill to see some of you guys in action

You'd probably fall over laughing if you saw some of us in action;D

Flattie Assassin
27-09-2007, 08:21 AM
blahhahahahhaha Could I have my own "Idiots Corner" section......

fish_outta_water
27-09-2007, 08:24 AM
benny kenny 's got the idea there i reckon ,
with all the ausfish members footage put together i reckon there be plenty , start our own network , bass channel , barra channel , etc

disorderly
27-09-2007, 08:32 AM
blahhahahahhaha Could I have my own "Idiots Corner" section......

Could be called "Kayak Capers with Merrick"http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
I'd pay good money to see the first episode as described in the reports sectionhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Scott

GrahameA
27-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Afternoon All

Hmmm.......

Well, I have to agree that the standard of fishing shows has gone down. Plummeted might be better statement. And I tend to be of the opinion that also goes for other fishing media - actually that goes for a lot of media, "Gloss is no substitute for quality content".

To put my view in perspective - I do remember buying a copy of Australian Sportsfishing and watching 16mm films of "Florida Tarpon Fishing" (because there was no Australian films). BTW - Bob and Dolly Dyer did run the odd film clip of their fishing trips on BP Pick-a-Box. (I was only a kid.)

However I did enjoy the, "A River Somewhere" series, enough to buy the DVD set.

Now having said all of that if you are unhappy with what is on the Tele' you could always have a go at making your own. You can buy a very good Camcorder, if you don't already have one, for under $500 and you can edit it all on your PC.

Cut it into a neat 30 minute show and put it on YouTube. By the time you have reached your 12th episode you will have had so many problems that either you will never mention it again or your skill level will be at the stage where you can pitch it at a TV channel.

p.s. My favourite fishing show - "Walker Bay Chronicles". It was on Optus when Cable TV first came out.

Regards
Grahame