PDA

View Full Version : hydrive stering fluid

hoga
25-09-2007, 06:41 PM
do i have to use the genuine stuf or is there somthing else that is compatable

marco
25-09-2007, 06:47 PM
do i have to use the genuine stuf or is there somthing else that is compatable

i was reading the installation pdf from hydrive web site and they are very clear about using only there oil as you may have issues with damaging seals etc , it also said not to use auto transmission fluid . http://www.hydrive.com.au/site/images/admiral%20manual.pdf

propdinger
25-09-2007, 06:55 PM
i have run a boat with different oil to theres but when we done an extend of the console i had to refill the lines and seeing they are about 50mtrs form my work i called in and bought some off them in cleveland and it actually made the steering easier to turn like it was lighter oil than we were using so i have stuck to there oil since

FNQCairns
25-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Looked into it a while ago, the spec is actually a aircraft grade 15wt (from memory)hydraulic mineral oil, they type used in some aircraft landing hydraulics.

The seastar oil also fills this military spec, you can use power steering fluid but it's a bit thick 20-25wt?? and there is also the wildcard of lower grade seals used that may overswell if the benign but specified oil is not used. I would use any oil in them to get me out of trouble though and not expect a problem from it.

Think shell also makes this grade, one of the big oil companys anyway and just a little bit cheaper.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
25-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Rando 15 a caltex oil is also of the same spec.. Thats what I use:)

deathstar 3
25-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey toga

Any 15W minerals hydraulic oil should be fine, it is the same oil that is used in enerpac / power team equipment. For most equipment like this and the majority of hydraulic equipment nitrile rubber or viton seals are used and they are compatible with mineral oils and generally with auto fluid. (Auto fluid has lots of additives to cope with the heat + cleaning agents.)

It is only when synthetic oils etc are used that special sealing materials are used to prevent swelling. eg brake Fluid, seal material is called EPDM i think. Some so called environmentally safe oils (Made from grapes) and is fire resistant will also swell rubber seals.)

There should be a hydraulic shop up your way that might be able to help you with the quantity you require.

Cheers John