PDA

View Full Version : Ausfish Spare Wheel Cover

ON-THE-CHEW
25-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I own a Four Wheel Drive as would a lot of loyal Ausfish members. Driving around you see alot of the mad keen fishing sayings etc on the spare wheel covers, would it be a viable possability for one to be brought out with the Ausfish emblem same as the stickers. It could have a saying around it or just be the emblem, I know I would order one. What are anyones thoughts, or if your keen for one leave a reply on the post and the powers to be might make it happen.

Live to fish, Ausfish for Life

Andrew

Lovey80
25-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Good Idea, everytime I see a car or 4x4 pulling a boat I look for the stickers but this shows without the boat on!

Cheers Chris

blaze
25-09-2007, 07:14 PM
If you buy a blank cover you can then buy the ausfish sticker off ausfish along with your own catchy phrase and aply it the same as if it was your boat.
cheers
blaze

dogsbody
30-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Sorry blaze that sort of application won't go the distance.

You would need the blessing of Ausfish and have to organize getting it printed on the cover by a screenprinter.

Dave.

Ausfish
30-09-2007, 01:06 PM
You need to buy a very large number of wheel covers to make it viable.

Just put an Ausfish sticker on a blank wheel cover from Autopro or similar.

I can supply a single Ausfish stickers if anyone needs them for a wheel cover, instead of a pair for boats and cars.

blaze
30-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Sorry blaze that sort of application won't go the distance.

You would need the blessing of Ausfish and have to organize getting it printed on the cover by a screenprinter.

Dave.
Hi Dave
Had them on a spare wheel cover for 5+ years, havnt got the bus any more but they copped a hiding when I had it as the wheel was on the front of a L300 4X4 that went bush bashing all the time.
cheers
blaze

oldboot
30-09-2007, 02:57 PM
If you want to give the sticker the best chance.

let the cover age & stretch a few weeks and then solvent wipe the area you will be aplying the sticker to to remove any waxes or plasticisers from the vinyl before you stick it down.

having both the cover and sticker a "little" warm ( but not hot) at the time you apply too helps

cheers

Brett1907
01-10-2007, 10:00 AM
As long as the sticker is of good quality (which the Ausfish ones are, I have a set on the Hilux and some going on the eski's) it should last some years on a wheel cover. Just follow oldboots's instructions and you'll be fine. Whatever you do don't do it on a cold morning, it just won't stick.

If you are not too confident in getting it centred, just spray a light mist of a very weak detergent/water mix. This will allow you to move the sticker around a bit to get it right. This is an old trick used by signwriters to get the stickers perfect on your car.

Brett

PS: The only problem I have had in the past is most wheel covers only go up to around 30" diameter. Could be different now though.

finga
01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Haven't all those big banners flapping around the place have the vinyl cut lettering etc on them??
The same as the sides of those curtainer trucks you see cruising up the highways. They'd cop a floggin' I reckon and never seen a missing letter.

timddo
01-10-2007, 11:16 AM
why don't we stencile the Ausfish logon on the tyre cover????

oldboot
01-10-2007, 12:30 PM
stenciling would work... as long as the logo can be made stencil compatable...... like no isolated lands or voids that cant be supported by the main body of the stencil.

One point though.
be carefull about what you spray the stencil on with.

some paints ( enamels) in particular will not go off properly on some vinyls.
The plasticisers in the vinyl stop the paint from going off.
Othe paints lack the flexibility in the cured film to match the vinyl and flake off pretty soon.

do a test sample.

Vinyl dye or vinyl paint would be the pest option.
Both are sold as a upholstery coulor change product.

A good quality vinyl sticker with good adhesive properly applied and rubbed down well would probably be the best choice.

cheers

finga
01-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Be best to check copy right with Steve before any of the above happens though otherwise you might find yourself in the poo. :-/

DR
01-10-2007, 04:39 PM
& it would work even better if you used the correct vinyl, the one designed to go on vinyl...:)