PDA

View Full Version : Motor not engaging Fwd or Rev

Aeon
25-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Hello all.

I've been doing some revamping of my tinny over the last couple of weekends. I have a 4 metre punt with a 40 HP mariner and side console. I had the motor serviced only last week and on the weekend I took off the throttle unit from the side of the console in order to re-paint the console. While I had it off, I also unscrewed the throttle handle in order to grease the bearing. That's it, I put it back together.

Took her for a spin and now the motor won't engage in fwd or rev. It revs up in both directions though.

Have I not put the throttle handle back on straight, or has a cable broken and will I need to get the mechanic back ?

As I may already have given away.... I'm not the most mechanically minded person. It's just a shame I didn't do this last weekend.... I took me three weeks to get the mobile mechanic over the first time. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Noelm
25-09-2007, 08:41 AM
hhmm sounds like it will be a very simple fix, but we need to find out what you have not put back on or broken, first off, have someone look at the motor end and move the shift lever into and out of gear, nothing moves?? good, now we know it is in the control end or cable, take the control box back off, did you remove any covers?? or just the handle?? if just the handle, double check that it is engaged in the splines/slots, if it is then somehow maybe you have broken the gear cable by tugging at it when the box was removed, get back to us when you have tried these couple of easy tests.

BM
25-09-2007, 08:50 AM
check as per Noel's words and then theres 2 possibilities:

1) you have accidentally put the controller back to gether with it stuck in "throttle only" or warm up mode

2) the gear cable anchor has slipped out of its hole and you havent noticed

What year engine is it??

When you move the throttle you should hear and feel a click when the control lever is about 30 degrees fore or aft of ther nuetral position. This is the point where it picks up the gearshift and then the throttle cable begins to move. If you are not feeling that click as you pick up gear then refer to 1 and 2.

Aeon
25-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Wow. Thanks for the help and quick replies.

I did take the cowl off and try that, and yes nothing moved so it must be a control end problem. I didn't remove any covers, just the handle and it's definitely back sitting in the slot correctly.

Do I try rotating the slot 90 degrees (it's square) to get it out of 'throttle mode'. Might I then see movement at the other end ? I couldn't be any more than 90 off it at all.

And if this fails, where would I find the cable anchor - it's a sealed unit and that's why I can't imagine what I've done wrong short of the cable being old and breaking but I didn't hear any nasty sounds.

It's a 1997 model and thanks again.

FNQCairns
25-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Just don't forget to diconnect the gear cable at the engine if you plan to try and find gears with the engine not running. Speeds up the work as a bonus.

cheers fnq

tunaticer
25-09-2007, 01:24 PM
My guess would be the end of the cable should have either a notch or a lump out the side of the outer cable. This should line up with either a piece of casting, housing or a screw to hold the outer casing from sliding in and out as you atcivate the lever. If it is not located exactly right the entire inner and outer of the cable moves thus giving you the revs without acivating the gear control on the motor.

Some also have a little fork clip that is simply wedged in place and when the entire assembly is screwed into place is then able to hold the cable tight.

Jack.

Noelm
25-09-2007, 01:43 PM
OK then if you did not remove any covers, the chance of the cable being "disconnected" is very remote, so is it possible then that you had the gear/throttle lever in another position, so as when you replaced the handle it was already in gear and now you are just moving throttle only?? if you get what I mean! after that it must be a broken cable (maybe)

Aeon
26-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Well after some further investigating last night I noticed that there is movement at the motor end when I move the shift lever both fwd and rev, but I have to move it a fair way before it happens. The lever must then be set in the correct position as it works both in Fwd and Rev and these cables seem to be correctly alligned in Neutral.

It continues to rev up both in Fwd and Rev but once again there is no 'click' and it doesn't engage. I take it that these cables at the motor end, also engage the gears into Fwd or Rev?? Could this all be one big red herring.... could the mechanic have done something to the motor end ?

And as FNQ suggested "to disconnect the gear cable at the motor end" where do I find this to check that it is connected?

I can post a couple of photos if this will help. Thanks again guys...

Noelm
26-09-2007, 09:06 AM
is there movement in the gear selector as well or just throttle? thats what we need to know.

FNQCairns
26-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Aeon if you work the gears from the control end without the engine running then there is the high possiblity the force needed will harm one of the engine selector parts.
Chase up where the cable terminates for gearchange at the engine and disconnect at that point, then to your hearts content you can play with the controls and get them right by relating the amout of throw the cable shows at the engine for the control position, this throw and controls position should parralel the throw and position of the gear selector arm at the engine....hope that makes sense.
There is only 2 cables terminating at the engine, the one that is throttle is usually easily recognised and can stay attatched.

cheers fnq

Noelm
26-09-2007, 09:07 AM
to be more precise, there should be a gear lever movement first, then the throttle advances so two seperate things move from the same handle on the control box, one before the other.

Aeon
26-09-2007, 12:03 PM
I see I see... now I understand...... I was thinking both these cables were for the throttle. I will have another look tonight and get back to you. If nothing else, this is a good learning curve for me. Thanks again.

Aeon
27-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Well there is definitely no movement of the gear cable. I've disconnected it at the motor end, and when moving the throttle handle, it moves the throttle cable fwd and rev as it should, so the handle is definitely in the correct position.

Therefore it must be that the gear anchor has slipped from inside the throttle unit (or the cable has snapped). Sound about right ? Should I be opening the unit up to fix this or is this best left for a mechanic ?

FNQCairns
27-09-2007, 08:50 AM
IMO you can do it, probably something simple like the terminating gear cable has come away, they usually have easy access from the back so it may mean pulling the entire unit away from where it is fitted.

If you do not change any cable length via their fittings it may go back together and just work, if the lenghts have not been changed up till now.
Then again it could be broken somehow, need to look to see.

It's not hard just fiddly and sometimes a little frustrating to some level, but nice basic knowledge to know when on the water.

cheers fnq

Aeon
11-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Well by the process of elimination I was able to narrow it down to a broken cable. I had the mechanic over this morning to confirm that it was in fact a broken cable and he replaced both cables for me @ $52 per cable. Now she's as good as new!.

I hope the fish have enjoyed their 1 month reprieve... because it's now over in a big way.

Thanks for all those who replied.

Mick