PDA

View Full Version : Ideal rod for TYR30

Splash
24-09-2007, 08:54 PM
HI Team.

Best rod to suit TYR30 for trolling/livebaiting on 50lb mono please?

Are roller tips better in this instance?

Ideal max. length of this rod?

SPlash

Splash
25-09-2007, 05:58 PM
I have heard of live fibres, t-curve, G-Force...

Thoughts?

Stubbie Holder
25-09-2007, 06:55 PM
I troll with a set of Tyrnos 30's on 5'6" 24kg Backbones with 50 lb Mono. Then I have a Tyrnos 2spd 30 on a 6' 15-24kg Tyrnos rod that I use as a shotgun, and for live baiting under balloons. I prefer the Tyrnos rod to the Backbone rods but not by much and the Backbones are pretty good value and have worked very well so far. All the above have roller tips on them, IMHO I think they work better for trolling with mono, I might think differently if I was using braid though.

Have fun shopping though.
Stubbie!

Splash
25-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Mnay thanks.

WHy have you chosen 5'6" and not longer rods for trolling?

Have you considered live fibre?

SPlash

philip_thomson
25-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey Splash

i would be looking at either a penn sports 15-24kg stroker or t curve tyrnos heavy.

i currently own 3 penn sports strokers and think value for money you can't beat them, full Fuji guides, 6 foot in length.

i recomend a rod upto 6 foot in length for trolling and live baiting, the sensitivity of a longer rod isn't required when trolling as you generally know when you have a fish on8-) , i find the shorter rods are eaiser to maintain tension on the fish hopefully resulting in less dropped fish, along with the better pulling power.

hope that helped

Phil

rat_catcher
25-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I have a couple of these reels rigged with 24kg mono for trolling and use the T-Curve Tyrnos Heavy rod. No complaints so far!

Splash
25-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Exactly what I was looking for guys. THanks for clarifying why shorter rods are requried.

Is 6' and ideal size or should I go shorter - what is the optimum length for trolling?

And, your opinion on roller tips for troll rods - using mono of course..

Splash

Black_Rat
25-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey Splash

i would be looking at either a penn sports 15-24kg stroker or t curve tyrnos heavy.

i currently own 3 penn sports strokers and think value for money you can't beat them, full Fuji guides, 6 foot in length.

i recomend a rod upto 6 foot in length for trolling and live baiting, the sensitivity of a longer rod isn't required when trolling as you generally know when you have a fish on8-) , i find the shorter rods are eaiser to maintain tension on the fish hopefully resulting in less dropped fish, along with the better pulling power.

hope that helped

Phil

I should know Phillip extorted $180 out of me last Saturday for one ;D ;D ;D

Splash
25-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Other comparable rods in price range - just to get a feel of what else is around - or is this it - ducks nuts?

SPlash

rat_catcher
26-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Other comparable rods in price range - just to get a feel of what else is around - or is this it - ducks nuts?
Staying with Shimano you could look at the Backbone Elite which is slightly cheaper or the other T-Curve rods which are quite a bit more expensive.

philip_thomson
26-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I should know Phillip extorted $180 out of me last Saturday for one ;D ;D ;D

;D ::) ;D ::)

looking forward to seeing those reds caught on it.
don;t forget about my big frezers