PDA

View Full Version : New outboard for my V146R

Tight line timmy
24-09-2007, 08:20 PM
After seeking some advice as to why my V146R is having a bit of trouble getting out of the hole with my yamaha 2 stroke 40hp kicker on the back, the realisation i have come to is that the boat is just too under powered and the little 40 is struggling.
So obviously i need a new motor.
I've been tossing up between 2 stroke and 4 stroke power and am a little confused as to what is more suited.
I'm pretty familiar with 2strokers and i'm probably looking at around 75hp to 90hp, but if i decide to go with a four should i go larger or smaller to get around the same performance as say a 75hp 2stroke.
I've always thought that a 2stroke motor gives more whippy power and a 4 stroke (of equal size) gives more torque (correct me if i'm wrong) but apart from the benefit of having a quiter and more fuel efficient engine are there any other reasons for getting a 4.
Also i assume a four stroke is an heavier engine so will i need to go for a smaller 4 compared with a 2 so i dont over weigh the rear.

Noelm
25-09-2007, 08:56 AM
probably answer yes to all those statements you have made about power, weight, hole shot everything, the Haines will probably handle all the power you put on it, a lot of divers have them with big motors on the back, but if you just want a reasonably cheap to run Fishing boat, probably the old reliable 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke is a good package, light as a feather, quite small in size and more than enough power for fishing, over a range of operating speeds and conditions (like fishing) you will see very little difference in fuel over say a modern injected 2 stroke (not carby) and a 4 stroke, and the 4 stroke is only quieter at idle, at full speed there is very little difference, so I guess just buy what you like from a good dealer near you that has a good service department and mechanics

FNQCairns
25-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Agree with noelm above, even a 70 2st would probably do it well enough but need to go bigger in a 4st imo.

Your 40 is a 3 cyl? have you paid detailed attention to your prop and setup? not saying it will ever be a racer or ever be other than what people call underpowered these days but you may find another 15-20% overall performance, enough to satisfy you a while longer?, lot's about a new engine purchase is emotion so each to their own.

With a 14.6 hull in choppy water even a good one like yours much of the time it travel will be at a speed the 40 can handle if proped well.

It's when the water smooths out the hankering for more HP is hard to resist.

The fastest/best perfroming 75hp out there is the merc carb engine - lot's of balls.

cheers fnq

Tight line timmy
25-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Cheers for the advice fella's.
I'm pretty sure i'll stick with the 2stroke.
FNQCairns how does the merc go for reliability? i've always like yamaha's due to a positive personal record with using them but other engine brands i haven't had much experience with.

FNQCairns
25-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Good today I understand, mercury was always let down by their cheap electricals + sometimes poor engineering, they resisted change for a long time and got the black anchor tag. Today their elecricals are better not up to the calss of some of the others though.
The 75 merc may now be the 75 mariner (marketing you understand) but they are a great pocket rocket, the 90 is Ok (same engine) but once in this range there are some other options worth considering like the 4 stroke engines and dfi 2st.

IMO the engine Noelm mentions above (yam 90) is probably the most reliable outboard ever built and good on fuel also. In the end all that remains is justifiaction and the emotional factor ..oh and weight at rest:)

cheers fnq

mowerman
26-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Timmy

I have the above mentioned 90hp 2 stroke Yamaha 2004 on my v17c.

Perfect motor. Jumps out of the hole. Crusiers on 24/25 knots with 3 big blokes in.
Havent hit WOT yet but had it at 34 knots b4 the missus said slow down.

A mate has an old v146r copy. "Redlander" is the make, I think.
1986 70hp 2 stroke Evinrude on the back. His son uses it for wakebording and skiing. Goes real well.

RAGINGBULL
27-09-2007, 01:20 PM
I had a johno 50 hp on mine and it get up all right but with 3 people with gear on it struggled.
If i was tubing it would struggle to have 2 on board and pull 2
The 146 is a lovely boat and there are few places i had not been with mine before i sold it..
If you are crossing bars go the 2 stroke 60hp to 75hp othrw 4 stroke
A 4 STROKE PAYS FOR ITSELF IN A VERY SHORT TIME IF YOU USE IT A LOT....
The motor weight difference is made up by the fuel you have to carry using a 4 stroke??? (and thats fair dinkum)

disorderly
27-09-2007, 01:44 PM
A 4 STROKE PAYS FOR ITSELF IN A VERY SHORT TIME IF YOU USE IT A LOT....
The motor weight difference is made up by the fuel you have to carry using a 4 stroke??? (and thats fair dinkum)

I take it you are not a fan of the DI 2 strokes then?
I really think that you would have to do an awful lot of hours in a 4 stroke in this motor size(60-75hp) to actually be able to truthfully say that it has paid for itself.

Scott

Tim_N
27-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I have a mate with a 146R and he's got an old Evinrude 90 V4 on it. It is a really well balanced rig, heaps of grunt and good on juice because he is not working it too hard. These engines are old now but I reckon a 90 hp 2 stroke Yammie would be perfect. The weight of the Yammie would be better than the old OMC too so that is a bonus. Don't worry about a 75hp, go to a 90hp.
Tim

sherkier
27-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi I have a haines 146C same boat as yours but with a cabin and i have just put a current model 75hp mercury 2 stroke on it!I would have liked to put a optimax on it but the weight was far to heavy.The weight of the 75 is proably right on its max weight. Mine is rated to a 85hp so my insurance wouldnt cover me for a 90 hp.The 75hp preforms very well with a great out of the hole preformance and a top speed of 42knts

whatscracken
27-09-2007, 06:44 PM
A mate of mine has the 146R hanies kitted out with a 90hp 2 stroke yammie. The 90hp may be over doing it a bit for hp but with that extra power we can back the revs right off and still cruise at 25kts with using bugger all fuel. Its a 1999 model and has been faultless but I reckon you would do fine with a 70hp as well

gar26lw
01-11-2007, 11:29 PM
yep. got a 90hp yam 2st.
Its a great engine. ultra reliable. not used it for 3 months, starts first time. just make sure you balance your carbs

ozscott
02-11-2007, 08:02 AM
I had only Merc in the past from a 70s 650 to a 2000 60hp - 2 strokes. The 2000 was a great bit of kit with very reliable oil injection. Its electricals caused a few niggles - the main harness plug is a multipin connector like a trailer has to your car - had to widen the prongs a bit from time to time to ensure proper connection. Apart from that it was very good with a shallow water drive setting. The oil res' was under the cowel so she was a compact unit. Having said that I now have (for some 3 years) a Yammy 115 V4 93 model and I wouldnt go away from this motor now - ultra reliable and quieter than the 60. Smooth too. More grunt that it has a right to have.

I had the 650 and 60 on a Haines V163 half cab and the 60hp made the old girl skip along very nicely. Topped out at 60kph, but hole shot was excellent. She would cruise at about 40-45kph very easily and using reasonable fuel (from memory about 20 litres/hr on the Navman fuel flow meter). Allways with a least 220kg of blokes and all the usual gear. It had an alloy prop.

If it were me I would look at a 70Yammy 2 stroke.

Cheers

ozscott
02-11-2007, 08:03 AM
...or if you are going to ski go the 90, but just check the weights. I know with Merc there was a substantial jump in weight from the 60 (which shared the same block as the 50) to the next size up, which was 90/100 or so from memory.