PDA

View Full Version : How is Awoonga Boyne River bush camp boat access?

carljh
24-09-2007, 07:31 PM
I am heading up to Awoonga in a few weeks and would like to know if you can still launch a boat into Boyne River from the bush camp.

From Gladstone Area Water Board's website the water level has dropped about 2.5 metres since I was there in October last year. Then I could launch no problems off the old road causeway about 1km east? from the bush camp, into a small creek and then into the river. But it was then only about 1 - 1.5m deep (but still caught barra in there!), so would expect it to be dry now.

Enjoyed camping at the bush camp and was able to fish away from the crowds in main part of dam.

Any information would be appreciated.

thanks
Carl

Awoonga
25-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Carl short answer....No somebody pulled the plug out

carljh
25-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will change my plans.

Carl

NormC
25-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Awoonga, does your response suggest it is getting very difficult to launch any boat up near the Bush Camp now?

Was there in March and it was getting quite low. Some with bigger boats had moved a few hundred metres downstream and were managing OK, but not easy.

But the dam is a lot lower now. We've been up there 4 times in the past 18 months or so, and the water is lower each time.

We are planning another visit to Boyndale in early November. We have two 3.5m tinnies and possibly a 4.2m and 4WDs towing each.

Based on your recent knowledge, will we get the boats in and out OK? Your above response suggest maybe not.

Norm C

Awoonga
25-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Ok went up for a better looksee....Gee its low....In November the water will be lower...Now l saw a small tinnie being launched today up there...Went over for a chat....Not a happy camper.... Where they are putting the boats in now is about 2ks up the river.... lots of stumps in the water small turning area...dirt bank is hard but its on a angle...Small boats will get in now....In Nov....it will be harder...l think what will happen is as the water gets lower People will just move further down the river to launch.... Those stumps are a worry.....lots of them

NormC
25-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Ok went up for a better looksee....Gee its low....In November the water will be lower...Now l saw a small tinnie being launched today up there...Went over for a chat....Not a happy camper.... Where they are putting the boats in now is about 2ks up the river.... lots of stumps in the water small turning area...dirt bank is hard but its on a angle...Small boats will get in now....In Nov....it will be harder...l think what will happen is as the water gets lower People will just move further down the river to launch.... Those stumps are a worry.....lots of them

Thanks for that Awoonga. Hopefully it will rain before that, but not counting on it.

Norm C