PDA

View Full Version : Using 'names' to help our cause

cuzzamundi
24-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Gday all,

Was just thinking, with regards to our ensuing fight for moreton bay fishing, do you think it would be somehow possible to get some of the names in fishing (starlo, rex hunt) to give a counter argument on air? Maybe even some non-fishing identities? It would be a great vehicle to get the other side of the debate across to the general public, who, for the most part, are probably unaware of the extent of the damages we will incur as fishos. I still believe that once we relay the truth of the situation we will have a lot more willing parties to get behind our cause. I do realise that the probalem would be having the funds to air the ad etc, but i do believe that it would be a smart option. Someone actually brought this up responding to another thread here, so i thought it deserves a thread of its own. Thoughts?

Cuzza

choppa
24-09-2007, 02:56 PM
cuzza its a good idea,,,, and i don't want to sound negative,,, but the prob we have is that not many """stars""" would get up and yell over it in fear of retribution to their name,,,,,,

you then have the other side of the coin that there ARE some who agree with it

GBRMP showed a number of ""personalities"" come out of the cupboard and promote the closures,,,, and its been slowly coming our way for awhile now,,,,

if anyone knows someone who wouldn't have a go and support it,,,,, please don't let em go,,,,,

choppa

Fafnir
24-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Great idea, right up to the point that there needs to be funds to create the ad, pay for placement of the ads, possibly even the need to pay the identity, although some may willingly give their time. But I would not be surprised if some of these people would not want to be seen on the 'unpopular' side.

Interviewing them in a press release, and teeing them up to be interviewed on air, or in print would be a more cost effective option, and something I could see the papers, radio and tv going for. I personally think someone not directly associated with fishing (Matt Hayden, Andrew Symonds etc), would be more effective than a Steve Starling, or even a Rex Hunt, as people would expect them to be anti-zoning.

Perhaps the biggest problem though is what do we want them to say? From what I have read so far, there seems to be varying points of view from those who say NO GREEN ZONES (which is NEVER going to happen), to those who say closed seasons and altered size and bag limits rather than zoning. Until we are all singing from the same hymn book I doubt everyone would be happy even if we could tee someone up.

Derek Bullock
24-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Great idea, right up to the point that there needs to be funds to create the ad, pay for placement of the ads, possibly even the need to pay the identity, although some may willingly give their time. But I would not be surprised if some of these people would not want to be seen on the 'unpopular' side.

Interviewing them in a press release, and teeing them up to be interviewed on air, or in print would be a more cost effective option, and something I could see the papers, radio and tv going for. I personally think someone not directly associated with fishing (Matt Hayden, Andrew Symonds etc), would be more effective than a Steve Starling, or even a Rex Hunt, as people would expect them to be anti-zoning.

Perhaps the biggest problem though is what do we want them to say? From what I have read so far, there seems to be varying points of view from those who say NO GREEN ZONES (which is NEVER going to happen), to those who say closed seasons and altered size and bag limits rather than zoning. Until we are all singing from the same hymn book I doubt everyone would be happy even if we could tee someone up.

I think you have it right there. There is no united body singing off the same sheet of music.

What this needs is a united body, not just members of Ausfish, coming up with a proper strategy.

When it is all said and done, I think that for everyone this is the new Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party.

I say, join up, send them some funds to assist and make this a united front Australia wide.

Cheers

Derek

Fafnir
24-09-2007, 05:31 PM
When it is all said and done, I think that for everyone this is the new Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party.

I don't entirely agree for the purposes of getting an identity to speak public against the zoning process. Don't get me wrong, I think the Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party is the only real long term hope for the future. The greens are not just going to go away, if they don't get what they want this time, they will keep pushing for their goals. Unfortunately preference votes seem to be more important to political parties than the income of those involved in the fishing industry.

But as has been mentioned, not many 'identities' would want to be seen to be on the wrong side of an issue like this, and even less IMO would want to align themselves with a political party that's not in power. Nothing wrong with having a number of groups attacking this from a variety of angles, some political, others simply interested parties wanting to see the right thing being done. The main thing is that the message needs to be uniform.

Chris Ryan
24-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I think you have it right there. There is no united body singing off the same sheet of music.

What this needs is a united body, not just members of Ausfish, coming up with a proper strategy.

I say, join up, send them some funds to assist and make this a united front Australia wide.

Cheers

Derek

Derek this is such a true comment and one I fully endorse. It is the only way I personally saw a way to make sure we have a voice nationally with a group that have already made a massive difference and have doors opened to them across the major areas of politics.

I ask you all to join, offer support and help where you can if/when they ask. I know I will.

Cheers,

cuzzamundi
24-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Some great insight there fellas, some of which i hadnt considered. I agree, the ALFP is the obest way to go. And as Derek said - on a nation wide scale!

cuzza

cuzzamundi
24-09-2007, 10:20 PM
It would also be a good idea for the party to get a myspace page, amongst other things on the net. We get the name out there and the mission across, more will come on board.

cuzza