PDA

View Full Version : Dewfish Head soup

poorly_snorer
24-09-2007, 12:00 AM
hi ppl, I'm sandy I just joined...

My man went on a deep sea fishing trip to Abrollis and caught some wicked fish which we have thoroughly enjoyed eating, now we are left with a nice big juicy Dewy head so would love to hear any recipes for fish head soup, thanks.

Sandy

Noelm
24-09-2007, 02:24 PM
hhmm that fish is I do believe spelled Dhufish, and I guess any fish soup recipe will be OK, most involve boiling the buggery out of the head, then straining all the bits and pieces out to retain the "stock" to which some vegies and so on are added, my Auntie used to make the best soup out of Snapper "wings" (the bit with the Pectoral fin and belly bones) it was just deliceous

reidy
28-03-2008, 12:08 PM
fish head soup,naa you can hang onto that one.lol
Cheers
Reidy

fish-n-dive
28-03-2008, 06:01 PM
fish head soup,naa you can hang onto that one.lol
Cheers
Reidy

Yep I'll 2'nd that...............gag

Volvo
29-03-2008, 12:34 PM
G'day Sandy:) , Dont know how much flesh the ole Dhufish has within its noggin but over this neck of the woods decent sized Lipper, Reds, Cod or Trout i ALWAYS!!! keep the heads and wings along with the frames from Red Emperor and are kept ESPECIALLY for Fish head Soup..
If you scroll back far enough in this section of the Forums the recipe has past been posted but i'll be happy to upost it again for you..
Just for the Record the BEST part of the fish Always comes from the closer to the bone saying..Howz that go again8-) ????...
"Closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat"???...;D ..
Very True..
Anyhows here ya go
We use our large pot we cook our crabs in save overspill when cooking ey..
Remove your heads & depending on size the more the merrier , get as much flesh retained as possible..
Clean as best you can save getting any blood left which leaves a brown scum on your waters surface when cooking...
If this does happen just boil for short time and empty soiled water , refill with clean water and away you go again boiling nice n slow till all the heads break up and flesh seperates real nice n easy...
Have another pot or bowl handy and when the above happens , using a strainer seperate the water from the flesh into your other Pot...
Have some cellery,carrots, onion,and diced potato if you like a wee bit of potato in your soups..
Drop into water/juice/stock/ or however ya wish to define the stuff:) and again boil away slowly adding salt n pepper to taste....
While this is happening you can start getting yours hands messed up by removing all the flesh from whats left of the heads etc making sure you leave any scales behind also:)hard stuff them scales to spit out halfeway through a meal ey:-[ ...The more the flesh the better the soup:D ...
When yourve finished this wee task you can drop all the flesh in your soup and agin i stress !! slowly cook till you think its near ready..
to finish off you can add a bit of cornflour as a bit of a thickening agent if you like your soups this way( We Do)...
PS.. Add whatever vegies you like for your soups ey..the taste has to stir your individual tastebuds as well as those you are cooking for at days end....
For those that havent had a decent Fish head soup(Psarrosouppa), ya dont know what you have missed out on...

Noelm
31-03-2008, 09:28 AM
if you find the thought of heads used for soup, then try just the Wings, this part is very Meaty and mostly discarded, same goes for the Backbone, that way you get your Soup without all the "icky bits"

reidy
02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Now ya talk-in Noelm,couldnt fathom THE EYES.:-/
Waiter, waiter there is an EYE in my soup;D
Cheers cheers and a couple of beers
Reidy