PDA

View Full Version : sea anchors

timddo
23-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Was wondering what a good sea anchor for fishing offshore when anchoring is not possible. And where to buy.

John_R
24-09-2007, 04:46 AM
A sea anchor is good where the wind is making you drift too fast. They don't help if the current is the major factor.

Two main types - sea drogues and parachutes. You can get the drogues at most chandlery outlets. Have seen an ad in BnB or QFM for the parachute.

It is worth having one or the other on board. I have a drogue and it has been used several times with varying degrees of success.

Noelm
24-09-2007, 10:58 AM
the type that looks sort of like a funnel work very well, you can tie them off to various points on your boat to allow you to drift sideways or which ever way you want the boat to be when drift fishing, as well as slowing you down in a bit of wind.

juju
24-09-2007, 11:26 AM
http://www.biasboating.com.au/Images/fishingaccess_pics/1017fishermn_sea_anchr.jpg $54 at Bias....i have one works well....

timddo
24-09-2007, 11:47 AM
guys , i was told to look at a para anchor $150 or something

They say it really slows down the drift rate. Was fishing with PBA at deep tempest on Saturday and we were drifting too fast. Caught caught 4 fish.

Noelm
24-09-2007, 02:16 PM
I have a yellow one that is made out of sort of thick canvas/nylon stuff with a rigid ring at the large open end, it has a small rope on the small end so as when you want to pull it in it sort of collapses it, I tie it off near the windscreen of my boat and it will drft perfectly sideways (thats what I want) and will slow it down in a good bit of wind.

Noelm
24-09-2007, 02:17 PM
OH I forgot it only cost about $40 when I got it some years ago.

timddo
24-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Noelm,

i have search the internet for hours and couldn't find the para anchors, I knows bias doesn it for $150 + rigging kit of $50. Thats just more money + more money.
No wonder people say Bring out another thousand or two or three or four.
Hopefully i should have your radio in the mail today.

cheers

tim

Noelm
24-09-2007, 03:02 PM
hhmm it does sound a bit expensive, I just looked at the Whitworths catalogue and they have them from $18 upwards, the $18 one was listed as "medium" do you have a store near you?, if not www.whitworths.com.au (http://www.whitworths.com.au) should see you on your way.

Noelm
24-09-2007, 03:03 PM
OH and I hope the radio is in one piece when it gets there huh!

honda900
24-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Timddo,

Heres, the link,
http://www.paraanchors.com.au/

Actually they are a bit more that 150, they were around the 194.50 mark, but as people have said they are very good.

regards
Honda

Broomey
24-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi fellas, I have seen this topic on another site, and some said they just use a Bulka Bag, the type with the draw string bottom, {so got the opening, } made sense to me, would work the same way & a hell of a lot cheaper.

Eddy

Noelm
24-09-2007, 03:19 PM
just had a look on the back of the Catalogue there is a branch in Brisbane (Woolloongabba) and one at Mooloolaba.

timddo
24-09-2007, 04:04 PM
It will be good if boats just had handbrakes!!!! Stop at that reef

marco
24-09-2007, 07:02 PM
mate just get the para anchor , the model you want is fishermens 4 or fishermens 7 . i have a 21 ft boat and got a fishermens 7 on bill cortens recommendation and it is great .

buy from them directly and alby will probably do a good deal for you .

timddo
25-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Marco,

Spoke to the fella from para anchor and he said fishermen 4, then ask about boat size and weight and said either a 4 or a 7. For an extra $50, i mite as well get the 7. It will slow down the drift rate dramatically. So thats $250 down the drain this week. Got the rigging kit as well. Man boating is expensive, no lunch at work for at least 3 weeks to pay for this toy.::) ::) .

Noelm
25-09-2007, 09:24 AM
gees only no lunch for a couple of weeks? i have been Boating/Fishing for more years than I care to remember, so I reckon I must have starved for years, if only I had have sold the kids to that Slave guy 20 years ago, might have had a 60' gameboat by now!

timddo
25-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Guys would Tying the para anchor at the stern be a problem. etc a waves hits ya and ya go down ( just like pull an anchor at the stern)?????? Or is it perfectly safe. My boat has only basic floatation, but high sides and back.

Noelm
25-09-2007, 03:02 PM
if it was on the choppy side I guess to tie it off the stern would not be such a hit, but in "normal" conditions probably no big deal, I prefer a complete sideways drift, that way you get more room to fish without getting all tangled up, especially drifting with live baits, did you have a look at Whitworths for a sea anchor?? not too sure a "proper" parachute is necessary for slowing your drift, they are more a safety device when in big seas, but of course no reason not to use one, want me to try to photocopy the catalogue page and post it? not too sure how good it will be!

reilly
25-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I got 16 ft tin boat and all I use is an old fish box rope connected to the 4 corners 4 into 1 just 6 ft behind the outboard works for me

marco
25-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Guys would Tying the para anchor at the stern be a problem. etc a waves hits ya and ya go down ( just like pull an anchor at the stern)?????? Or is it perfectly safe. My boat has only basic floatation, but high sides and back.

it will be ok for a fishing drift , and as noelm said in big seas if you are using it as a safety device tie it off the bow .

i have used the burke anchor from whitworths and the para is so much better , i know it is dearer but in my opinion it is worth it . it will last you a long time

marco
25-09-2007, 03:49 PM
timmdo , what size boat do you have

timddo
25-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Noelm

thanks mate, but i have a brochure at home, I have actually checked it out and yeah it will probably do the do. You know the saying there are boats and there are boats. The good thing about the para anchor is it could be used as a safety device also. So two for the price of one.

B4 i made the purchase i was thinking of making one or using two buckets. But then whats a couple hundred dollars anyway. ( i'm gonna spend it on fastfood in 3 or 4 weeks or there abouts). Now i have a heathly diet for the time being.

My only problem is "wait till the wife see's the bill :-X "

Mr__Bean
25-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Agree,

The para anchor is the one for the job if trying to hold fast over reef etc.

I had a small one but after trying a fellow ausfishers para I then went out and bought the 9 foot diameter one.

No wind drift now.

- Darren

timddo
25-09-2007, 08:36 PM
timmdo , what size boat do you have

5.45 or 6.2 LOA about 800kg for the hull + 167 motor + 150l fuel + 2 batteries + gear

timddo
25-09-2007, 08:37 PM
the one i ordered is 7foot

marco
26-09-2007, 02:52 AM
5.45 or 6.2 LOA about 800kg for the hull + 167 motor + 150l fuel + 2 batteries + gear

you'll find the number 7 just right . been on a 5.7 mtr using the number 4 and it was ok but it was mild conditions as well .