PDA

View Full Version : carpeting a tinnie

justangler
23-09-2007, 05:18 PM
hey everyone,
im getting a tinnie in the future and am going to get one with a carpeted floor but say i get a tinnie around 12-15ft which has a flat bottom or even one without a flat bottom would i be able to get the floor flattend and carpet on it? also interested in getting a casting deck and advice would be appreciated. cheers justin

oldboot
23-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Its not uncommon to put a flat deck in a V bottom tinny.

some do it in ally others do it in ply.... it depends on what you are comfortable with.

I'm in the middle of doing a job on the bro'inlaws 14"er.
I'm working in timber because thats what i'm comforatble with.

We've scribed a subframe to the ribs between the seats, thats fitted & in place it will be held in with LARGE plastic cable ties about 16 of em
subframe of 18mm luan ply.

we just about have the deck scribed into the sides of the hull.
this replaces the existing deck that had seen better days.
this boat originaly had 3 seats across it... the previous owner cut out the middle one.
we hope to add quite a bit of extra floatation under the floor and other places.

this gives a deck about 2metres long and about 1.5 metres wide to work in and cast from.
it will be a great casting platform.

Big bro's new boat is similar he orderd it without a middle seat and fitted a ply deck in between.
None of this sort of stuff is realy a problem, if you plan to do it yourself you;ll need to be pretty handy and be able to scribe to odd shapes so it will all fit..

If the deck is timber i would not be inclined to glue the carpet down so it can be removed for cleaning & so as not to promote rot.
If you use heavy carpet like "Decord" it wont be hard to keep in place.

cheers

kneebone
24-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Buy a tinnie already fitted out, might cost a bit more but you can use it as soon as you get it. Allycraft, Mako, Quintrex ect all have good setup rigs. Everything fitted well and no frustrating stuff ups

FNQCairns
24-09-2007, 10:22 AM
The only true objection from me with small boats and fully flat floors is stability at rest, sometimes it can be a better boat with a couple of people, if the floor height stays below water height, stops people from easily standing at the side 1/3 the way up it. Depends of coarse on the boat in question.

cheers fnq

plaztix
24-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey Justangler, i'm looking at building a casting platform in my rig at the moment. I'm making the frame out of 25mm ali rhs and covering it with 12mm treated ply (just cause thats what i have lying around at work)
The ply needs to be sealed to stop water damage/rot. i'm using an epoxy sealer (and lanolin grease on the end grain) and then just use decent quality carpet/vinyl contact adhesive to stick the carpet down.

You can make the whole thing out of ply, just keep in mind where water will lie when it does get in the boat.