PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Fishing - Imagine the Possabilities

Phoenix
23-09-2007, 05:03 PM
I thought I write a post to show some of you guys what is possible in terms of kayak fishing and how much you can get for a very small financial investment. This is by no means the only way to do it - just what works for me.

Scotty Rod Holder
I bought a Triple & two Powerlock 230's and added a Silva Kayak Compass. There is also an old towel in a mesh bag that is used to wrap fish when caught before stowing them in either the hull or tankwell.
I will add a Garmin 72 and a Hummingbird Fish Finder sometime later this year.

I only tend to use the powerlocks when drifting.

I taped a section of SOLAS tape to the front of the tipple for safety reasons - the thought being an oncoming boat may see the reflection in low light conditions.

Seat
Comfort is everything on a kayak - and this is the very best you can get anywhere.

I use an Apex 1 seat with a rod holder bag at the back. On each of the straps is a small back pouch (one holds a spray jacket and the other a pair of waterproof binoculars) there is also a bait bucket on each side with more SOLAS tape. I use these for used lures so I know what needs washing at the end of each trip. In one of the rod holders on the seat bag I have a large hook out. There is a large pocket on the rear of the seat that holds the likes of Snapper leads, fluro carbon leader, head torch etc

I use a Crack of Dawn drift anchor, this is stored rolled up and held by one of the paddle holders. Well out of the way - but very easy to access when I want it.

Anchor trolley
I made my own - does a very good job and didn't cost very much at all.

I installed grippers on the port side gunwale and a Gaff on the right (not seen) I will also use a Nav Light by Stephen Tapp.

Paddle
Mokau glass paddle. Again I added SOLAS tape - and this works a treat

PFD
Ultra Trek -
* EPIRB - in front PFD pocket
* Flare - in PFD
* Grippers - leashed to PFD
* Pliers - leashed to PFD
* Light sticks x 2 - in PFD
* Torch - leashed to PFD
* Whistle - leashed to PFD
* Signaling mirror - in PFD
* Radio - on PFD, Uniden Atlantis 250
* Divers Knife - leashed to PFD shoulder strap
* 2-3 packets of SPs - in PFD pocket
* Small box of various hooks and jig heads
* About a dozen rigs also in pocket, various size hooks and line strength

Fishing
Due to the lack of noise and the very shallow draft - kayaks are ideal for fishing. Not just for small estuary species - but even bigger species like Shark, Mackeral, Snapper, Tailor, Tuna etc - as many kayakers will attest to.

I carry only one small Plano box of SP's - and occasionally a couple of extra HB's

Cost
All up; maybe $2,500 or so. I plan to install a Hummingbird fish finder which will set me back around another $1,200 or so. Running costs - um zip.

Rods
As I chase larger bay species I usually have a BR3500/7ft 8-10kg with 20lb braid for plastics and a TSS4 /7ft 8-10kg with 25lb fireline for trolling/ casting and floating out baits on the rare times that I use bait.

The down side to kayak fishing is that most things will get wet and everything requires a good rinse at the end of each trip - reels especially require more maintenance than would probably otherwise be necessary.

The upside is that I can launch anywhere and it takes less than 10 minutes at the ramp to be in the water. Aside from cost, ease of storage, no fuel bills, no need for trailer, rego, insurance, license, little maintenance etc :D

Fitness
You don't need to be that fit or anything, I'm not - and carry a significant back injury. Kayaking is something that you can put in as much as you like.

Clothing
I prefer the visibility factor, a friend got run over by a ski boat a few months back in the Brisbane river >:( - so being seen is a good thing from my point of view.

Pics taken at Wellington Point.

Roughasguts
23-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Bloody hell phoenix you don't muck around do you.
Me and the kids are on our first yak, got it last week, haven't fished from it yet, to busy teaching the kids how to handle it for the moment.
But will be taking the Kayak with us on short breaks, and fishing from it is the plan.

aaron_gilmour
23-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Nice pics Phoenix,

i used to have a perception swing and had it set up with humminbird matrix 20 sounder gps. They are great fun and i miss sneaking up onto schools of mullet,stingreays etc up in the creeks.

Are you fishing out of the prowler. they were just being relarses as I sold mine. I now have moved up north to townsville so snapping handbags are a concern. Mind you i still see some out and about in their yaks.

Cheers

Aaron

Phoenix
23-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi - I get out in mine 2-3 times a week, which would be impossible if it was a boat. And yes probably 80% of the trips involve fishing gear. I find that probably 75% of those trips produce fish.

Jeremy
24-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Have you caught many fish from that kayak? I haven't seen many reports from you. Do you have some photos of the fish you have caught?

Jeremy

Phoenix
24-09-2007, 08:14 AM
I have just upgraded to a new PC - so can't access my old hard drive at this time. Should get everything sorted by next weekend sometime.

Flattie Assassin
24-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Awesome post. :D I took my little yak out on the weekend with mixed success. :'( Learnt alot from it though.. They are a great fishing platform with the silentness once you get used to it.

4x4frog
24-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey Phoenix, excellent set-up mate, well done.
I think you need to paddle a few extra k's every time you go out otherwise if you put on weight personally the thing will be below the water;D;D
either that or buy a bigger kayak for all the gear:P