PDA

View Full Version : coondoo creek/mary river cod?

catfishkid
22-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I have recently moved to tin can bay,on the way out here from gympie we have to cross over coondoo creek just after forestry office.
I have looked at this tannin stained lagoon and thought my son and i would take the canoe there and have a flick with some small lures/soft plastics/poppers for some bass etc or whatever might live there.
I stopped to have a look yesterday and there is a sign saying fishing is prohibited as it is in mary river cod habitat area.
I dont have a problem with this but what i dont understand is how govt department is worried about me fishing in potential habitat area when they want to dam the mary river and destroy the largest single portion of where they occur naturally?
This is more government hypocrisy.

craig:-/

Big_unit
22-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Coondoo Creek used to cop a floggin from all and sundry years ago, until the DPI put the sign up. Ive heard its a place where during breeding season MRC congregate or spawn, not 100% certain though.

Try asking Tony Mills or his dad at Fishermens Warehouse on Old Brisbane Rd Gympie, he might know some more about it.

Plenty of the locals watch it like a hawk and have the DPI fishwatch hotline number on speed dial.

Cheers
James

Fitzy
24-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Coondoo is a protected water as it is one of the few places where remnant MR cod pouplations may exist in somewhat untouched / unregulated waters. There may be as little as 10 or 20 mature fish in that creek down to Tinana.
Umch of the Mary River proper, while still holding some cod, is very degraded, regulated and has stocked cod in it. The viability of the cod in the Mary is very uncertain indeed, hence the reason to protect those few isolated pockets that may still hold uncorrupted gene pools.

The cod in Coondoo & other waters definately deserve to be left alone so, as inviting as it looks, please dont be tempted to throw in a line there. :D

Cheers,

Fitzy..

catfishkid
24-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Dont get me wrong,as i have already stated i have no problem with the protection of this fish and will certainly leave them in peace.
Its great to here that there are mary river cod in coondoo creek,I didnt know they were there.
My problem is the level of government hypocrisy in this situation.
Why do we need the traveston crossing dam and risk the endangered and protected species that live in the mary (mary river cod,lungfish,mary river turtle)and are affected by this proposed dam.

Craig:)