PDA

View Full Version : Help - can you suggest a boat set up for me?

destorman
22-09-2007, 12:54 PM
OK, here's my goal ... a boat 'package' for my family and I to use for rivers, bay, gold coast water ways and some offshore work for fishing, day trips and maybe some camping. Plus, of course, with the mates at times.

Something I can put in and out of water myself, light enough to tow on Moreton and Fraser without the need for a huge 4wd (I don't have that yet either so, if you want to comment or suggest something that would be great)

I know there will be some 'user preferences' for glass vs al vs 2 stroke vs 4 etc ... but I'm open to ideas and thoughts at this stage. I'm open to caddy vs bowrider vs whatever ... I'm after idea's and opnions.

Give me your thoughts for a 'package' for the family ...

1. No budget - what would you do?
2. $15k for the boat package
3. $25k for the boat package

All help, idea's and opinions greatly appreciated.

tunaticer
22-09-2007, 01:10 PM
What ages are your kids as this will be a big decider on the style of boat you will be needing. Smaller kids need protection from the weather more so than teenagers so maybe a cuddy cab or forward control boat might be in need.

I'm thinking probaly a stacer or quintrex or allycraft pressed hull at around the 4.8 to 5.5m mark. This will give you the ability to be able to tow it on the beach with a smaller 4wd ie navara hilux or similar. Glass boats will be borderline too heavy for these tow vehicles on the beach if you have to cross a blow or do a long run in dry dusty sands.

Personal preference will be your main criteria over what anyone suggests but as for the motor definitely do not buy towards the lower recomended power for the boat, stick with a higher horsepower within reason and you will never be left wanting.

If you can stretch your budget out to the late 20's early 30's look at the plateys from Bermuda or Tabs. Very nice boats that are not too badly priced.

Jack.

Blackened
22-09-2007, 01:11 PM
G'day

Package for 25k for sure, generally will be later model with a better engine.

Something between 17 and 19 feet, cuddy, runabout or half cab.

Maybe a haines('glass monohull), webster(alloy cat) cruisecraft(glass mono), or maybe a pressed alloy production boat of wich there is a plethora to choose from.

Dave

destorman
22-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Yep, sorry about that ... only have one daughter, she's 2, the wife and me (at the moment) ... also have brother and sister in law, who have 2 kids, youngest just 6 months the other 3 ... they will be into the crusing waterways and day trips with us.

Father in law has a 5.0 cuddy, quintrex, who will be with us on a few trips as well.

tunaticer
22-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Im thinking similar boat to your Father in Law's boat.

Jack.

deadbeatloser
25-09-2007, 07:22 PM
OK, here's my goal ... a boat 'package' for my family and I to use for rivers, bay, gold coast water ways and some offshore work for fishing, day trips and maybe some camping. Plus, of course, with the mates at times.

Something I can put in and out of water myself, light enough to tow on Moreton and Fraser without the need for a huge 4wd (I don't have that yet either so, if you want to comment or suggest something that would be great)

I know there will be some 'user preferences' for glass vs al vs 2 stroke vs 4 etc ... but I'm open to ideas and thoughts at this stage. I'm open to caddy vs bowrider vs whatever ... I'm after idea's and opnions.

Give me your thoughts for a 'package' for the family ...

1. No budget - what would you do?
2. $15k for the boat package
3. $25k for the boat package

All help, idea's and opinions greatly appreciated.

fugitive 5.2, haines tc170, STABI_CRAFT,i wouldnt buy another pressed alloy boat ever again, buy with lots n lots of forward thinking, n dont b 2 hasty, on my 2nd new boat for the this year an hopefully the stabi will be the last for many years to come, i went to e tec as i had an efi 4str yammy(new) an m8 they cost a bit to service so take that in to consideration as well,loved the 4banger:'( ,
also you can save thousands on your package by buy from 3 sources, i saved over 5000 buy do this,,, true,,,,, good luck;D

destorman
26-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks dbl ... especially bit about motors. Hadn't even thought about it.