PDA

View Full Version : Ivanhoes Crossing Kununurra

Razza
22-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Some piccys of road crossing up Kununurra WA

aussiefool
23-09-2007, 07:57 AM
top spot that. I'm told that you can get the odd barra from there .... I know I tried and failed big time :( , just have to go back to the west oneday

bj
23-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Yep it was like that when I was there last about three years ago. I have also fished there a few times with no result but I am told the fishing can be good.

jimbamb
24-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Beaut spot.Seems to have that much water over it all year round.
I caught a 120cm barra on the northern side of river back in 2002. and wife got a 65cm a few minutes later..Got local knowledge from young chap at caravan park.Had to drive about 30 k to get over the other side but it was worth the drive..
Jim

fish_outta_water
25-09-2007, 07:51 AM
spent bout six weeks living just outside the resavation there in 95 . if your up that way the locals are real friendly and will point you in the right direction .
never got to fish back then (gutted now ) but plenty of talk of barra and big sartoga (please correct me but am sure the locals call sartoga northern barra?) plenty of water in lake arglye too
nice pics not sure id have wanted to cross the road
all the best

Dave_H
26-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Beaut spot.Seems to have that much water over it all year round.
I caught a 120cm barra on the northern side of river back in 2002. and wife got a 65cm a few minutes later..Got local knowledge from young chap at caravan park.Had to drive about 30 k to get over the other side but it was worth the drive..
Jim

Jim that wouldn't have been around late April (or so) would it?

I lived in Kununurra for about 6 months in early '02. I found Ivanhoe Crossing (there is a small structure of some sort about 50-70 feet from the western edge that used to work well - well hey, we never went hungry) to be an enjoyable spot that usually produced fish until the water cooled and the flow reduced markedly during the dry season.

Another good spot was the western (northern) spillway of the Diversion Dam at about sun-up (before work at the nearby airport and the heat of the day got going). Unfortunately CALM usually was onto anyone who dared to flout the signs and I seem to remember a few fines being handed out (I was only once asked to move on). We used to use our "outside" overhead gear to lob a 6 inch sinking Rapala (orange seemed to work well) into the white water in the sluice gate and it would usually get smashed as it sunk into the depths over the ledge.... ;D ;D ;D

I have seen some seriously large barra come out of there, my largest out of the Diversion Dam (had to go back of course) was only in the high 90 cm range, but remember not being able to bust the 80cm max size limit at Ivanhoe.

I also remember feeling somewhat safer about the salties at the Diversion Dam than at Ivanhoe.:o :o :o

The Keep River was also well worth the drive for the weekend.:-X ;)

Dave.

jimbamb
26-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Dave,
we were there on 26th may2002 Had been in kunnunurra from 22 to 29th.We travelled around and fished in the hole right at the edge on the northern side throwing into the actual dam We had been told to fish as soon as there was enough light to see.thats when i got her.I was using a elcheepo lure on a 7ft rod with a diawa eggbeater and new 20 lb bionic braid.I had been smashed off a couple of days before out at keep river so had got some new line.
We were at the van park near the lake/closest to diversion dam we went back the next day and got nothing thats fishing i guess.
Were u workin at the van park.????. we left photos on their brag board.

zedjack33
27-09-2007, 01:02 PM
;D ...............

zedjack33
27-09-2007, 01:12 PM
:D ........................

zedjack33
27-09-2007, 01:15 PM
An arvo chasing lures below the crossing can be worthwhile!!!!!

Dave_H
27-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Dave,
we were there on 26th may2002 Had been in kunnunurra from 22 to 29th.We travelled around and fished in the hole right at the edge on the northern side throwing into the actual dam We had been told to fish as soon as there was enough light to see.thats when i got her.I was using a elcheepo lure on a 7ft rod with a diawa eggbeater and new 20 lb bionic braid.I had been smashed off a couple of days before out at keep river so had got some new line.
We were at the van park near the lake/closest to diversion dam we went back the next day and got nothing thats fishing i guess.
Were u workin at the van park.????. we left photos on their brag board.

I was defintely still living there at that stage. I moved out of Kunners about the 18th of June (give or take a couple of days).

Right on first light was the best time to fish I found, as you mention.

From memory, the name of that caravan park was something along the lines of Kona (or similar). I stayed there for a few days when I first got into town.

No, I didn't work at the Caravan Park, just the airport before moving to Central Australia for a better position.

Dave

BobbyJ123
27-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Lived in Kununurra for 7 years in the late 60's, early 70's and Ivanhoe was a spectacular fishery. We would catch a few 'stripeys'= striped grunter, add a 7/0 suicide hook, drop them into the white water........and hang on. Best was 1.15m and many well over 25lbs.
Incidentally, the crossing tubes were made from discarded 44 gallon drums, welded together.
Even caught shark, stingrays, sawfish and threadfin, off the crossing.

Good memories.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

jimbamb
28-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Dave
Yep musta been there at the same time ....Small world Maybee we'll cross paths somewhere.
nice memories bobby,
would have loved to be there then. Its one of my fav places too!!!
Nice pics Zed plenty water in those.
JIM

zedjack33
01-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Cheers Jim............................got love the joint. The area has to be one best spots around.......you can get so isolated just minutes out of town.

Loved the Keep and Pentecost......................................... .bloody ripper

BobbyJ123
02-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Cheers Jim............................got love the joint. The area has to be one best spots around.......you can get so isolated just minutes out of town.

Loved the Keep and Pentecost......................................... .bloody ripper

Before the top dam was built, the gates on the divvi dam would be closed around the last few weeks of october and, when this happened, the local fishos would trundle down to Bandicoot Bar (the bar where the divvi dam is built) and fish the rock pools for the barra. Absolute cricket scores could be caught. The water would warm up to 38/39 deg C and the fish would go mad. My mate and I caught 118 in 3 hours, putting them in the main stream after they were caught. All caught on 120cm ABU killer lures.
Similarly, when the 'Wet' finished, the gates would all close, except for 1, which was only open about 30cm, to let the overflow keep running. We would go below the gates and catch cricket scores again, using cherabin.
Jack's Hole, on the Pentecost, is the place where that backpacker shot some tourists. I caught a catfish of about 8lbs and as I unhooked it, the mongrel thing flipped and landed on the rock I was standing on.... Then it flipped again and a spike pierced my big toe to the bone.:oops: I managed to drive back to Kununurra, having to stop and sticking my foot in the esky every few miles, to keep the thobbing pain down.:cry: