PDA

View Full Version : Fishing info for fiji? best island to go to?

Nelster
19-09-2007, 08:00 PM
hey guys ..
wife wants to head to fiji again .. so i'm looking for an island resort .. that may have some good shore fishing and maybe a nice charter .. if anyone has been and done some shore fishing plz pass on some info
cheers
chris

tully
19-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Lucky you Nelster. I haven't been to Fiji, but thought I'd mention how things are in Vanuatu as it may be similar.
All shoreline in Vanuatu is owned by the local chiefs, who's permission you must get before throwing a line off the beach. That's if you can find him. If you can't then you don't fish, unless you're prepared to give him a couple of pigs after he catches you!
I'm telling you so you don't make the same mistake I did. Took several rods, thinking it was like Oz, just find a beach/headland and chuck in a line. Wrong!
The game fishing boats are there, all run by expats, but too expensive for me.
Fortunately we found some locals with a budget operation. Just a banana boat, but we had a ball, very funny guys, who really know how to fish.
A quick look in a lonely planet book would probably tell you if you can fish from shore in Fiji, might save you the hassle of taking your own gear for nothing.

bdowdy
19-09-2007, 08:57 PM
mate theres been aheap of posts lately on fiji i fished with lofu charters out of denaru island marina caught tuna,trevally,mackeral and heaps of reefys but fished the beaches with plastics and caught aheap of reefys good luck if you want any more info pm me id be glad to help. cheers bdowdy.

hunter44
14-12-2011, 11:59 AM
mate theres been aheap of posts lately on fiji i fished with lofu charters out of denaru island marina caught tuna,trevally,mackeral and heaps of reefys but fished the beaches with plastics and caught aheap of reefys good luck if you want any more info pm me id be glad to help. cheers bdowdy.

Would love to know more as I am heading to Fiji for 3 weeks and want to fish from shore...
gary