PDA

View Full Version : New Boat

Rodman
19-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi Guys

I pickup my new Tom Cat this afternoon and I am going on holidays to Rainbow Beack on Saturday for a week.
Cannot wait

Rodman;D

KAGEY1
19-09-2007, 01:43 PM
congrats mate. hope you get a few. how about some pics of the new canoe?

STUIE63
19-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Congrats Rodman on the new boat can we see some pics
Stuie

hmmm new boat nice

Tassie JR
19-09-2007, 04:34 PM
G'day mate where are u staying up there were heading up friday and coming back tuesday, we are staying at rainbow waters caravan park on Carlo rd look out for a 6.4 meter Southwind with a 225 yammie on it.

cheers tassie JR

catfishkid
19-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Now you will just get to many rods to fix and wont be able to use it :P
Just kidding,if you see my stessco 420 catcher with 40 tohatsu race past give us a wave,caught some nice flatties today up teebar creek.
Where are the pics of your new toy so I recognise you?

Cheers Craig;D

Rodman
20-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi Tassyjr

I will be arriving on Sat and I have a van at site 136
You cannot miss my place I have a large rod and Reel repair sign.

Rodman

wotboat
02-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Rodman
Interested to know how the tomcat went at rainbow beach? What size outboard is fitted?
Been seriously considering buying either the wildcat or tomcat but can't decide what size motor to go with. Not really keen on putting to much weight on the back end but it needs to have enough grunt to push it along. I thought the larger tomcat should ride a bit better but also want it to travel over shallow flats to get to my fishing grounds. Its a bit hard for me to test drive a boat when I live 900k's from the coast
Any comments or information would be appreciated. Would you change anything on the boat now that you've spent some time in it?

Poseidon
03-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Wotboat, I have been running around with a Wildcat for over 12 months and have been impressed from the 1st outing with its stability and ride. Had some initial problems with the mounting height of the motor however that was corrected easily enough. Mine has a 60hp 4 stroke and gets on the plane in a flash to about 57kmh trimmed out, still has the standard prop. Not sure how it would go with anything less in HP and the 60 seems a good fit. You don't notice the weight in the rear as there is still alot of weight forward, fuel tank, leccy battery, console etc. If we are both towards the rear or either side the boat remains very stable so you are free to move wherever you please.

If I was to change anything in mine it would be to extend the rear casting deck forward a little to give more room. The newer models have this done from factory however the early one's missed out on this, still enough room to fish comfortably from the rear and the front platform has ample space for 2 to fish if you are fighting over snags to cast to.

Be wary of the trailer ratings that the dealer may push onto you, the package offered to me came with a 650kg rated trailer which by my calculations would have been to close to the packed weight for my liking, plus the drawbar length of this model would have had the bow of the boat that far forward that access between the boat and car would have been non-existant and unable to lift a wagon back or drop a tailgate of a ute and a pain to winch. Paid a little extra for a 750kg rated trailer with longer drawbar, plenty of room in front of the boat for access etc.

Plenty of room for 2 throwing lures to fish from, 3 can be tight especially if throwing barra lures.

Keen to see some pictures of the Tomcat.

Regards Cameron.

wotboat
03-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Cam,
Would be interested to know how much water you need to run in. I travel over shallow ground in the gulf (600mm deep) to get into the river systems to throw lures. Currently I have a small explorer with a 25 on the back, so if I miss the channel its easy enough to drag it off the mud or sand and back into deeper water. The problem with a small boat is that as soon as I'm out the creeks and rivers and into the bays the going gets a bit rough. Its not uncommon for me to travel a 100k's round trip in my boat. The arm controlling the tiller sure gets tired after a while. Would also like to get a bit more adventurous and travel further a field. Once again everythings a compromise. I need a boat that does everything, something that can travel in choppy waters, over shallow flats, small enough to get into remote creeks but big enough not to have my kidneys shattered every time I venture away from ther creeks.
I agree with your comment about the trailers. Some of the setups are absolute disasters waiting to happen. The wildcat must be right on the limit of needing a braked trailer especially once you throw some gear in it. Had one salesman tell me that boats aren't designed to carry anything in them. Seems to me he didn't live in the real world. He also refused to give me any details on the fit out of the boat. Told me that all I needed to know was that if its on the boat its good. No wonder I hate salesman.

Dave

Poseidon
06-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Wotboat,

I bought the Wildcat mainly for dams in SEQ, however having moved to FNQ I found myself fishing alot of shallow water, sandbars and the like. Never had any real issues with depth and have set the depth alarm on the sounder to .9m, and proceed with caution thereafter.

They are a heavy boat so wouldn't plan on dragging it over sandbars.

Regards Cameron.

Cav(J.C.)
06-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi Dave, Seems like the boat you need is a "Panga"long boat, out of Florida--U.S.A. Look up "Panga on the internet. Next closest to that is the "Goodwyn"long boat out of Innisvale Q. Both are good in a chop or long swell. and draw very little. John Cav.

Tassie JR
06-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey rodman how did you end up going after we left, did ya get onto any fish.

also Wotboat rodman has it fitted with a 90 horsepower 4 stroke, cant remember the make.

cheers tassie JR