PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on Rod/Reel Combo for Boat

Splash
18-09-2007, 06:00 PM
OK fellas.

Nearly there...

PLease advise what real and rod I shoudl be using for bottom bashing off Gove in between 10-50m of blue water.

Fish type I am chasing - jewies, coral trout, snapper - all those big bottom bastards..

I am after an overhead and suitable rod.

I am not interested in skull dragging but I do not want to lose fish.

I plan to use 50lb FINS braid with a leader.

SOme brands I see on this board are the Calcutta 200b and TL25/30...
Some rods I see are shimano backbone and crystal blue (or something)..

What sort of drag system should I be using?

Any advice is appreciated.

Splash

Marlin_Mike
18-09-2007, 06:07 PM
You guessed the reel. I would buy a TLD25, sit it on a t curve or there abouts aND YOU shouldnt go worng

MIke

snelly1971
18-09-2007, 06:46 PM
These are great cheap reels....

Mick

www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=116335

Splash
18-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Thganks guys.

What is a T-Curve? Who makes it?

What makes the TLD25 so special. What sort of drag does it have and why is this particualr reeal ideal for what I want?

Splash

snelly1971
18-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi Splash ....T curves are Shimano ...so are the TLD 25...They are a great reel for there price...

Mick

Splash
18-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Snellly - why u sellin ghtese near new Pens?

Splash
18-09-2007, 06:54 PM
What makes the T-Curve stand out?

How does it rate to the 24kg Shimano backbone?

Splash

snelly1971
18-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Snellly - why u sellin ghtese near new Pens?

I have 8 Penn 113H 2 114 H 3 tyrnos 30 and 4 electric reels...so i have no need for some of the Penns....Too much gear in my shed is another reason..

Cheers Mick

PS...The back bone rods are also very good...I had a shimano torium 30 with a 15-24 kg backbone rod...until it was stolen

Mick

Splash
18-09-2007, 08:27 PM
How does the TLD25 differ to TLD50IIA 2 speed?

Is the 50IIA better than the TLD25?

Do I indeed need a TLD25 or can I go TLD15?

Splash
18-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Rod Selection Choice:
1) Tcurve Game Series - Tiagra 15, 24 or 37 Standup Class - 5'3" to 5'9"
2) Tcurve Tyrnos Heavy - 6'
3) Tcurve Deep Jig Series - 5'8" - 5'10"
4) Backbone Elite Boat 66 - 6'6"
5) Blue Rose Overhead - 5'3"
6) Jigwrex Overhead - 5'2"
7) Uglystick

Reel Selection Choice:
1) TLD15/25
2) TLD25 2 speed
3) TYR20/30
4) TYR20II/30II
5) Penn Applause 4000

Best Options please?

What is the ideal length for a boat road bottom bashing/jigging with an overhead for big reef fish off GOVE NT?

What is the best size (weight wise) reel for this application?

Are all these rods suited for an overhead?
Can I get the Backbone Elite without the roller tip? Is this roller tip potentially bad for getting braid caught?
Should I aim for a long butt on one of these rods?

Splash

disorderly
18-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Hi splash,

Good to see you are at the catching fish stage of your journey.
IMHO when you are first starting a few good reels are more important than the rods.
The TLD's are great ,the tyrnos are considerably better. I also have a couple of penn senators and a penn mariner.
All good gear mounted on everything from a shimano backbone to various other rods which currently do the job but which may ultimately be replaced over time.
I also am interested in the braid on roller tip scenario as I have a TLD on non roller setup and wonder how much stress I am putting on the braid when hooked up to good fish.I really do wonder but I also worry if I put this reel and braid on the backbone roller tip if the braid may slip between the roller and the housing and damage the line.
BTW I only use braid for the deeper water and am loving it but for trolling ,floating pillies,livies etc I still stick with the mono.Bit old fashioned I think but It seems to work.

Scott

snelly1971
18-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi Scott...and Splash.

I was told once to never used braid on a rod with a roller on the end....but after speaking to many other experienced fishers here they tell they all use roller tip rods...So i gave it a go and have never had any problems...But...I do use 80 and 130 lb braid...

Mick

disorderly
18-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Hi Scott...and Splash.

I was told once to never used braid on a rod with a roller on the end....but after speaking to many other experienced fishers here they tell they all use roller tip rods...So i gave it a go and have never had any problems...But...I do use 80 and 130 lb braid...

Mick

Hi Mick,

So it seems that there is no threat of the the braid being caught or pinched between the roller and the frame?
I am also using 80 lb but it's still pretty thin and I also worry how much it abrades the braid to be pulled hard through a traditional non-roller setup.
Obviously there is less stress through a roller tip as long as there is no chance to get caught or pinched.
I think I may give it a go next trip,thanks Mick.

Scott

snelly1971
19-09-2007, 12:15 AM
That always worried me as well...(getting caught between the roller )....but it has never happened to me as yet...

Mick

Splash
19-09-2007, 06:09 PM
HI all - thought I'd report back on what I have purchased.

I have committed to a TYR30 with maybe a Live Fibre 70XSJ.

I need your help on deciding if I should go with the Tcurve Tyrnos Heavy ot the Live Fibre 70XSJ.

I also need your help in deciding if I should go roller tip on some other rod.

I like the idea of roller tip - what is a good rod with a roller tip that woudl suit my use?

PS - I found a PENN Senator 6/0 in my cupboard - your thoughts on these reels?

Standby for some monstor fish pics..

Splash